Heads-up to Trektop NX owners

StrizzyChris

I was interested in buying a NX top. Think I'll wait a bit and see what comes of this issue and how Bestop handles it.

Don't hold your breath! Bestop is a great company, and I recommend them every time, but this is not a safety issue and I doubt it will ever be reengineered. Go ahead and buy the top, you'll be happy that you did! :yup:

SarahLu

Thanks for sharing! The header bar on mine has a crack in it and was getting increasingly noisier. Bestop was no help when I talked to them, they said my only option was buying the whole top fabric piece. Now I can order this and replace it before I put the top back on!

Kyle09Rubi

Thanks for sharing! The header bar on mine has a crack in it and was getting increasingly noisier. Bestop was no help when I talked to them, they said my only option was buying the whole top fabric piece. Now I can order this and replace it before I put the top back on!

Exactly the same response they gave me until the issue was pushed. That's awesome that this was able to help you out though! :thumb: If you have any questions during the install, feel free to shoot them my way. I did things a little differently then what Bestop recommended and it seemed substantially easier, especially by yourself.

msax

I'm having wind noise issue with my trektop nx. The top doesn't flap. Just sounds like wind noise at the header above 40mph. While searching for solutions I came across this thread. I'm planning on getting the 55013-01. I also see that mopar has a replacement header (68049276ab) with a metal brace. Does the bestop have the metal brace? Does anyone know if these parts are similar or identical?

image-3848000575.jpg

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Mine still clamps down just fine but the gap is ridiculous and is extremely noisy. There has been a couple times where water actually came through the header bar seal. I wish I had y'all's problem so I could fix it. Although I wonder if I can use a factory header bar for mine and get less gap...

Kyle09Rubi

I'm having wind noise issue with my trektop nx. The top doesn't flap. Just sounds like wind noise at the header above 40mph. While searching for solutions I came across this thread. I'm planning on getting the 55013-01. I also see that mopar has a replacement header (68049276ab) with a metal brace. Does the bestop have the metal brace? Does anyone know if these parts are similar or identical?

View attachment 139876

Oh yeah, the way your Trektop has started to relax and pull out of the header bar looks very familiar! I thought the same thing as you with the metal braced replacement header and actually tried that part off of a junk soft top that I purchased. I can tell you that I did not spend long messing with it but the header bar will not directly bolt into place on the Bestop Trektop NX side bars. The factory style header bar is much thinner (front of jeep to back) as well.

Mine still clamps down just fine but the gap is ridiculous and is extremely noisy. There has been a couple times where water actually came through the header bar seal. I wish I had y'all's problem so I could fix it. Although I wonder if I can use a factory header bar for mine and get less gap...

For clarification, my broken bar would actually feel as if it was "clamping" correctly in place. The only signs of issues were the apparent gap noted in my pictures and the additional wind noise. If you are getting that big of a gap and your header bar is clamping into the factory holds, I would suggest that it is time to at very least take apart your header bar and look for broken plastic pieces. It takes all of 5 minutes to remove the header bar and check things out. You might be able to flip your top back and reach your hand between the fabric and topside of your header bar to feel for screws that are not seated all the way or are somewhat loose.

sapco76

I had the same issue right out of the box. The gap, the wind noise and the header clamped to the factory holds just fine. I called bestop and they are sending me a replacement. Should be here tomorrow

msax

Oh yeah, the way your Trektop has started to relax and pull out of the header bar looks very familiar! I thought the same thing as you with the metal braced replacement header and actually tried that part off of a junk soft top that I purchased. I can tell you that I did not spend long messing with it but the header bar will not directly bolt into place on the Bestop Trektop NX side bars. The factory style header bar is much thinner (front of jeep to back) as well. For clarification, my broken bar would actually feel as if it was "clamping" correctly in place. The only signs of issues were the apparent gap noted in my pictures and the additional wind noise. If you are getting that big of a gap and your header bar is clamping into the factory holds, I would suggest that it is time to at very least take apart your header bar and look for broken plastic pieces. It takes all of 5 minutes to remove the header bar and check things out. You might be able to flip your top back and reach your hand between the fabric and topside of your header bar to feel for screws that are not seated all the way or are somewhat loose.

Thanks. I'll take a look this weekend for broken plastic. I know that bestop makes the OEM tops so I was just seeing if the item is the same as the bestop part. And as others have said the bar clamps right to the windshield just have the corners lifting.

Napalm

I had the same issue. Bestop said my header bar was bent and gave me a new header.

Now I keep an extra Replace-a-top TrekTop in the garage just incase.

Gonna have to check mine out now. Just put my trektop on for the summer the other day and it is super noisy, worse if we open a window or turn the A/C on. The material flapping against the front bow is about to send me over the edge.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Can you replace the screws with bolts that go all the way through to the other side of the header?. Just drill all the way through the scRew holes.

I have't seen the header bar up close, but from the photos, it looks like a possible low budget option.

Kyle09Rubi

Can you replace the screws with bolts that go all the way through to the other side of the header?. Just drill all the way through the scRew holes.

I have't seen the header bar up close, but from the photos, it looks like a possible low budget option.

Theoretically, yes. I imagine it would make the reattaching the top fabric section of the Trektop to the header bar considerably harder though. You would also have to install the bolts with the head under the fabric top to avoid puncturing any holes meaning the threaded end with the nut would be showing above the front seats. Probably not the most aesthetic design in the world but you wouldn't have to worry about the plastic molds breaking.

Trail JK

Hey Joshua, I'm not sure if this will help or not but we just installed our Trektop today and noticed that when installing and tightening down the pivot bracket for the sun rider that bracket can slide slightly. You may want to check it making sure the bracket is as far forward as it can be towards the front windshield. That little bit of give will close the gap where the top meets the windshield or at least it seemed to for ours.

Trail JK

Hey Joshua, I'm not sure if this will help or not but we just installed our Trektop today and noticed that when installing and tightening down the pivot bracket for the sun rider that bracket can slide slightly. You may want to check it making sure the bracket is as far forward as it can be towards the front windshield. That little bit of give will close the gap where the top meets the windshield or at least it seemed to for ours.

The gap was about 1/2 inch wider before we moved the pivot bracket.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430611098.420550.jpg .

Top Bottom