Help, Grinding sound when accelerating

GlennH

Hey Guys.

So I get this odd grinding sound in 3rd n 4th gear when accelerating between 40-60km/hr. If I let off the gas pedal it stops. It only seems to do it in te torque curve when I drop down in rpm to 2000ish. I also get a slight pull drivers side. I also some clunking in the wheel bearing on the drivers see so I thought it's causing my pull. I bought and replaced the unit bearing and it didn't fix it. I pulled apart entire driver side axle and shaft and replaced ujoint. Still and issue. Even checked brake caliper pins etc. When the jeep pulls the ass end shifts and scares me. My alignment to tape measure is in spec as I record it and make bolts etc. I do plan on an alignment soon too just to see.

I'm still fighting this grinding sound and someone mentioned exhaust manifold and or cats. The grinding sound worries me more then my pull so any inputs on each would be helpful.

I do plan to replace passenger side unit bearing and axle ujoint and inspect shaft.

David1tontj

Does it really sound like it's coming from the front then?? You checked driveline u joints? Is it possible to Maybe try to isolate it by removing front shaft?

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

roadkill

auto or manual?
i had a GQ patrol that would make a grinding and whiring noise in the rear under acceleration, turns out the diff was shot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's only on acceleration - not decel, I have a hard time not thinking your sound is coming from the rear end or from your transfer case. Funny thing about drive trains and how sound can travel. Did you crack open your rear end and give it a look? Have you double checked to see if your t-case shifter is fully engaged? I have seen where it can come slightly out of place and created this kind of sound.

Top Bottom