Help me select a CAI

JAGS

Hooked
That cut is nothing. It would be very easy to reseal the box. Just cut a piece of appropriately sized pvc pipe in half and glue the half onto the box with the interior of the pvc pipe facing outward as a channel for the pump line.

Oh yeah, I realize it could be sealed up and operate as factory. Is a great set up compared to before. But the issue (in my head) is that it would still be a modified factory part. Should an issue come up, it might be something to easily raise red flag that is connected directly to the engine.

It may not matter as the engine could be red flagged as it is because of "modifications" made to suspension. But I'm really looking at keeping everything connected to the motor as stock. Again, might just all be in my head. It's also the reason I have my dealership perform routine/scheduled maintenance.

JAGS

Hooked
I thought PSC had an even newer reservoir that allowed the factory airbox to be used WITHOUT cutting? :idontknow:

There is a way to do this that I thought of quite a long time ago, but not relevant to my set-up (no ram assist in the immediate plans) and pricey. I think maybe Russ has since tried it out. A dual battery set up, minus the second battery and have the reservoir sit there. Its close enough and the feed would still work as it sits higher in the engine compartment.

Like I said "I thought" for some reason Russ was trying this out. Maybe he'll chime in??

:idontknow: That's not the story I got today????

This sucks. Anything in works for a zero airbox mod version???

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
For those still running the factory air box, anybody running a "better" aftermarket filter that doesn't require oil but can be cleaned. Or just factory replacements?

whispike

It seems like nobody really cares for aftermarket CAI. Is there a reason for this? Are they not worth it? Possibly void your warranty? Just curios since I've been contemplating getting one along with an exhaust.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like nobody really cares for aftermarket CAI. Is there a reason for this? Are they not worth it? Possibly void your warranty? Just curios since I've been contemplating getting one along with an exhaust.

CAI's allow too much dirt to get into the motor. We have been seeing a lot of 3.6L motors with them develop severe oil consumption problems or worse. This will lead to the voiding of your warranty even if the CAI is a Mopar unit and installed by your dealership.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
CAI's allow too much dirt to get into the motor. We have been seeing a lot of 3.6L motors with them develop severe oil consumption problems or worse. This will lead to the voiding of your warranty even if the CAI is a Mopar unit and installed by your dealership.

Even the stock ones ls not all that great. I've just decided to change the filter and clean the intake system after every dirty wheeling trip.

I'm not sure how much it'll help, but it's worth a shot.

ttfhell

Even the stock ones ls not all that great. I've just decided to change the filter and clean the intake system after every dirty wheeling trip.

I do the same. Carried two spares on the last trip lol

whispike

Do you just replace it with a stock type filter or are you using an aftermarket type maybe like a K&N?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I am going to make a habit of changing the filter after dirty trips. Did it in Tahoe after the Rubicon. Stock one was FILTHY. Probably not a bad idea to have a spare.

Commandojk13

so are we saying that the stock air filter box is fine and we should just upgrade our filters? also why would you need a new power steering system? is that what you were talking about with cutting the airbox? lol

so are we saying that the stock air filter box is fine and we should just upgrade our filters? also why would you need a new power steering system? is that what you were talking about with cutting the airbox? lol

Yes, I started this thread because I am having some trouble with my hydro assist. I am adding some new parts (hopefully to fix) that for a long time required the use of a CAI for real estate of the parts. There have since been improvements that now only require slight or no modifications or the stock airbox. It has always been my preference to use the factory boz and filter type.

bfschor

For those still running the factory air box, anybody running a "better" aftermarket filter that doesn't require oil but can be cleaned. Or just factory replacements?

Isn't the Donaldson better than the factory filter in both filtering out the dirt and better flow? I've always read good things about a Donaldson filter, but don't read about a lot of Jeep guys using them. Is it because you start splitting hairs when compared to the factory filter? If it really filters better, flows better and is re-usable, the cost is the only downside I can see.

SaddleTramp

If you aren't going to run a 2nd battery and don't mind a little extra fab, IMO using the MORE dual battery tray to house the larger PSC reservoir is the way to go.

I've had this set up on two rigs now (after trying to make the stock resi work with mixed success) and I love it.

Direct drop of fluid right into the pump (no air gaps or cavitation), no steering lag, stiffness or hesitation at idle (think turning right to left to park in a parking lot at idle) and to your original question, resi has a filter and this setup allows you to keep the stock air box without any cutting, etc.

I also really like running the fin/radiator type cooler vs. the heat sink type. With the latter, after driving 20 mins to work (Vegas heat) I couldn't touch the steering gear, too damn hot. With the former, the steering gear and valve box just feels warm.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444803804.914070.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444803821.736662.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444803840.363490.jpg

mackey

After dealing with some hydro assist issues I've decided to replace my reservoir with a PSC reservoir. It is my understanding that while I could trim my factory box it is really easier to just run a CAI (especially considering I have already done some whittling to add the cooler to my existing system).

I've been hesitant to do this due to the problems some have had with oil consumption on their 3.6L after hard running with a CAI. So with that said here are my desires and in the order of importance.

1-Work well with the PSC reservoir in the factory reservoir location.
2-Some shielding from splashed water. While I try to avoid mud. Mud and water is a Wayalife around me and I have had a few splashes make it to the intake of the factory box. Nothing too serious but the engine did choke a bit.
3-NO SNORKEL. (Don't even try to talk me into one)
4-Easily replaceable paper filter, I'd prefer to not have a clean and oil type.

So, with the above said.... What do you all suggest? What are you running and what do you like/dislike about it?

Why not get the PSC as described. They make a new power steering reservoir that fits and does not mandate you change or cut your air box and then upgrade to PSC's best cooling system. Your done. Or SaddleTramps suggestion could work great also.

Top Bottom