Here to pimp my video and two members support me

And I don't get why a video on YouTube of people collecting toys = people doing "good things". I completely miss why that should make anyone "feel good" about being a "Jeep person" or more to the point, why what we feel should even matter. "Inspiration" is meaningless if it doesn't compel you to really do something and I'm sincerely bothered by the fact that "charitable giving" is somehow a "seasonal" thing.

Again, IF you want to do good in this world, I would strongly encourage you to get out there, get your hands dirty and DO IT! I promise you, the people you help will be grateful and really, that's all that should matter.

Merry Christmas

Truly a Merry Christmas to you, and thank you for the happy wishes.

I never intended to debate the merits of the content of the original video, only what I perceived was the intent. While I don't necessarily think this is a great example of good deeds, I would far prefer videos like this being shared to represent the Jeep community rather than the all too pervasive videos of teenagers (and adults) disrespecting and damaging private property or clubs condoning drunken and dangerous trail rides and behaviour.

I think that I understand too the OPs desire to grow camaraderie and help with community building, the desire to belong and feel accepted is a powerful human trait, interestingly one that is well evidenced by the very tight community here that is fiercely protective and supportive of active members (this is a good thing). If that was the OPs intent, then I at least get it, regardless of whether I think it was well done.

However if the OP just intended to take advantage of the audience here to boost his Youtube views.. well.. then I'm pretty disappointed and feel pretty angry that I was duped.

Regardless, I appreciate you providing the forum and community that allows these types of discussions and I truly wish a Merry Christmas to you, Cindy and the rest of the Wayalife community.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Truly a Merry Christmas to you, and thank you for the happy wishes.

I never intended to debate the merits of the content of the original video, only what I perceived was the intent. While I don't necessarily think this is a great example of good deeds, I would far prefer videos like this being shared to represent the Jeep community rather than the all too pervasive videos of teenagers (and adults) disrespecting and damaging private property or clubs condoning drunken and dangerous trail rides and behaviour.

I think that I understand too the OPs desire to grow camaraderie and help with community building, the desire to belong and feel accepted is a powerful human trait, interestingly one that is well evidenced by the very tight community here that is fiercely protective and supportive of active members (this is a good thing). If that was the OPs intent, then I at least get it, regardless of whether I think it was well done.

However if the OP just intended to take advantage of the audience here to boost his Youtube views.. well.. then I'm pretty disappointed and feel pretty angry that I was duped.

Regardless, I appreciate you providing the forum and community that allows these types of discussions and I truly wish a Merry Christmas to you, Cindy and the rest of the Wayalife community.

First off, I have specific rules regarding "charitable events" and posts made about them. I won't lie, had the OP been an active member of this community, it would have been a lot harder for me to give him grief. Being that he hadn't participated in OVER A YEAR and made this his VERY FIRST POST since that time, it was difficult for me to see it as anything other than to push some kind of agenda - whether it be to take advantage of our audience or to help make him feel better about himself, I don't know and I don't really care.

Second, if the OP's desire was to "grow camaraderie and help with community building", I'd have to question where he was intending to do that. Certainly, it isn't here. So far as I could tell, he already belongs to a pretty big community and one that he's engaged in more than just one time a year.

Regarding videos that get posted, I hope you know that if anyone were to post one up of people "disrespecting and damaging private property or clubs condoning drunken and dangerous trail rides and behavior", I would be the first to give them hell. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't tolerate that kind of stupidness here on my forum. As far as "good deed" videos go, I personally find them to be condescending and insulting and clearly made by people who I can only imagine has never been on the receiving end of "charitable giving" or could have at least benefited from them.

Zstairlessone

So if I go on hiatus for say 6 or 8 months and then come back and post a quick video about anything... a trail run, a how to, anything... that's wrong? Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
So it's ok for me to drive down your street once or twice then come over and start putting posters up for the Children's hospital, the SPCA and a few anti drug signs on the lawn? These sure are good causes, so I guess you are ok with it - and because they are good causes I don't need to talk to you about it first.

Well alright then, oh and I have a couple of thousand acquaintances I met on line and at In-n-Out that will be over to pimp their honorable charities. Still think this is ok?

WJCO

Meme King
BTW that wasn't the title I put to the thread it was changed by the Administrator. I had put Toys for Tots video or something like that. So the Administrator purposefully changed it to make me look bad.

I changed your title. You were pimping your video. And then another member supported you in that and continued to argue about why he didn't care about Eddie's rules. The title is rather fitting.

jesse3638

Hooked
So it's ok for me to drive down your street once or twice then come over and start putting posters up for the Children's hospital, the SPCA and a few anti drug signs on the lawn? These sure are good causes, so I guess you are ok with it - and because they are good causes I don't need to talk to you about it first.

Well alright then, oh and I have a couple of thousand acquaintances I met on line and at In-n-Out that will be over to pimp their honorable charities. Still think this is ok?
Couldn't have said it better myself. I do like charity work as it does have its place. Unfortunately too many take advantage of it like its government hand outs anymore. I prefer small unnoticed local charities not large corporate "non-profit organizations". Try helping an elderly woman load her groceries. Randomly pay for someone's meal. Help the people you know who may benefit from it but would never thing to ask. Do it silently from behind the scenes and stay anonymous. I don't make videos when I drop a penny into the "take a penny leave a penny" jar at the local convenience store. I don't need to hear praise about any good deeds I may choose to do or want to hear how I should give back because others are. People who want to give back will do so without advertising because they take he time to support causes they believe will benefit from help.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I must have missed the sticky that said you had to run all the same shit on your rig as everyone else and buy from the same people.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but...

Well fuck me for asking then, right? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Right, because I hadn't thought of that and also realized that "LOD" might turn up more results on Google than what's relevant. [emoji19] Thanks for that.

So much salt. ''Tis the season y'all. Peace on earth and all that jazz.

Indeed, so much salt. Tis the season bro. Ya know, peace on earth and all that jazz. :naw:

JSTJPN

In early December Adams Jeep and Topless for TATAs had their Toys for Tots Jeep run. I put together a video for it. Enjoy.

Htweelz, thanks for sharing. It is good to see the community come together to help those less fortunant.

The Toys for Tots is a good program and the Marine Corps has put a lot of work into it to better the communities.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Is Toys 4 Tots a good charity? Yes.

Is supporting them this time of year good? yes.

Is being a charitable person good? Yes.

Is it okay to produce a recap video and upload it to YouTube? Yes.

Is it okay to take that video, and share it to a HUGE Jeep family (notice I said family not community) on the internet? No.

Videos like this should be posted within the club/group that the event was organized under, not to a huge online family of people who are totally unrelated to that group. That would be like me making a wheeling video and randomly posting it on a Honda Civic forum or something. It makes no sense. There are countless videos I've made of events that my local Jeep group have taken part in and organized, and I very easily could have posted them here had I wanted to, but it would make no sense! Nobody here knows anybody there and vise versa. They were posted in the groups facebook page for those who were THERE to look back on, like this video SHOULD have been.

Is what you supported good? Well yes, I'm a firm believer in being selflessly charitable, but once again, posting it here especially after having been gone for a while does look like pimping. And that's all there is to it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Htweelz, thanks for sharing. It is good to see the community come together to help those less fortunant.

The Toys for Tots is a good program and the Marine Corps has put a lot of work into it to better the communities.

Yes, Toys for Tots IS a good program and yes, the Marine Corp is awesome too. Neither have anything to do with this guy or him posting up a video he made here. :naw:

As far as the "less fortunate" go, I have a hard time believing you'd have any clue as to what it's like to be one.

Is Toys 4 Tots a good charity? Yes.

Is supporting them this time of year good? yes.

Is being a charitable person good? Yes.

Is it okay to produce a recap video and upload it to YouTube? Yes.

Is it okay to take that video, and share it to a HUGE Jeep family (notice I said family not community) on the internet? No.

Videos like this should be posted within the club/group that the event was organized under, not to a huge online family of people who are totally unrelated to that group. That would be like me making a wheeling video and randomly posting it on a Honda Civic forum or something. It makes no sense. There are countless videos I've made of events that my local Jeep group have taken part in and organized, and I very easily could have posted them here had I wanted to, but it would make no sense! Nobody here knows anybody there and vise versa. They were posted in the groups facebook page for those who were THERE to look back on, like this video SHOULD have been.

Is what you supported good? Well yes, I'm a firm believer in being selflessly charitable, but once again, posting it here especially after having been gone for a while does look like pimping. And that's all there is to it.

Thank you for post this and for your clear understanding of things.

benatc1

Hooked
dang I just caught up on this whole thing, regardless of your feelings the simple fact remains that there are rules, for a reason, and those rules are set by the owners so it doesn't really matter what you think about the rules and it doesn't matter what you think the rule should be or how they apply to you. it's really quite simple. As the great Walter Sobchek once said "Smokey, this isn't Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JSTJPN

Yes, Toys for Tots IS a good program and yes, the Marine Corp is awesome too. Neither have anything to do with this guy or him posting up a video he made here. :naw:

As far as the "less fortunate" go, I have a hard time believing you'd have any clue as to what it's like to be one.

Thank you for post this and for your clear understanding of things.
Eddie, contrary to your statement that I don't know what it's like to be one of the less fortunate, I think that I do. As a child growing up in rural south GA, I started working in the tobacco fields at the age of 6 in order to help my family. We were very poor and all of us had to pitch in. I did this for better than 10 years until I went to "town" to work at the local grocery store. Then I decided to better myself and joined the Army where I have been for the past 26+ years. And no, I am no better than anyone else because of my service in the Army. It is just what suited me and has been a great career thus far.

So judging before knowing is not something you should do. I am not here to argue with you or anyone else in "your" house. But it does appear that the rules only apply to certain people. There are numerous "family" members who posted videos and pics of rides that have not been soley for WAL members. I should know as I have been a part of some of them. There are some who post videos that also have thier own YouTube channels. So are they "pimping" thier videos? Maybe. But I don't see anyone pouncing on them. I assume it is because they are part of the "immediate family".

Also, we as the WAL family have been consistently accused of being jerks and ass holes because of our affiliation to this forum. The OP, not sure if he flies any WAL swag, represented all of us at this particular event in a positive way. By doing this, we all can show the others that we are not all jerks but good folks who can get along with others.

So if we can not agree to disagree or make the rules apply to everyone, then we are exactly what others say we are.

If I am no longer welcome in "your" house just let me know and I will depart without any harsh feelings. I have learned a lot from you and others but will speak my mind and will even disagree from time to time. But that is what "family" members do.

Dave

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here to pimp my video and one member supports me

Eddie, contrary to your statement that I don't know what it's like to be one of the less fortunate, I think that I do. As a child growing up in rural south GA, I started working in the tobacco fields at the age of 6 in order to help my family. We were very poor and all of us had to pitch in. I did this for better than 10 years until I went to "town" to work at the local grocery store. Then I decided to better myself and joined the Army where I have been for the past 26+ years. And no, I am no better than anyone else because of my service in the Army. It is just what suited me and has been a great career thus far.

So judging before knowing is not something you should do.

All I said was that I have a "hard time believing you'd have any clue as to what it's like to be" what you refer to as, the "less fortunate". Based on what you've just shared, it sounds to me like you had to work hard your whole life and that helped you to become who you are today - NOT some kind of feel good video that shows people being "charitable". But clearly, I could be wrong.

I am not here to argue with you or anyone else in "your" house. But it does appear that the rules only apply to certain people. There are numerous "family" members who posted videos and pics of rides that have not been soley for WAL members. I should know as I have been a part of some of them. There are some who post videos that also have thier own YouTube channels. So are they "pimping" thier videos? Maybe. But I don't see anyone pouncing on them. I assume it is because they are part of the "immediate family".

Also, we as the WAL family have been consistently accused of being jerks and ass holes because of our affiliation to this forum. The OP, not sure if he flies any WAL swag, represented all of us at this particular event in a positive way. By doing this, we all can show the others that we are not all jerks but good folks who can get along with others.

So if we can not agree to disagree or make the rules apply to everyone, then we are exactly what others say we are.

You're right, I have my rules in place so that I can enforce them as I see fit. Since you seemed to have missed it, the OP is not like the "numerous 'family' members who posted videos and pics of rides that have not been soley for WAL members." He hasn't been on here in OVER A YEAR and just came on to post up THIS video. I'm not sure why you can't see why there's a difference but there is one to me and really, that's all that matters.

As far as members being accused of "being jerks and assholes" because of your affiliation with this forum goes, why you would even give a shit what other people think is beyond me. In fact, it's even harder for me now to not think videos like this are completely self-serving and intended to make others think you're a good person. :naw:

If I am no longer welcome in "your" house just let me know and I will depart without any harsh feelings. I have learned a lot from you and others but will speak my mind and will even disagree from time to time. But that is what "family" members do.

:naw:

Have fun everyone, I'm going wheeling.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
See? Humbuggery is contagious.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO and Longarmwj pretty much nailed what is wrong with the original post. Rules are bent a little, in regards to active members posting videos. This guy pops in and posts a video, after a year of inactivity. All that has been established, prior to your post.

Now, getting to you, you have made negative posts, in this thread, and another one, just lately. What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to correct everyone in this post, and muddy the waters in my post about sliders?

ChiliDawg

WJCO and Longarmwj pretty much nailed what is wrong with the original post. Rules are bent a little, in regards to active members posting videos. This guy pops in and posts a video, after a year of inactivity. All that has been established, prior to your post.

Now, getting to you, you have made negative posts, in this thread, and another one, just lately. What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to correct everyone in this post, and muddy the waters in my post about sliders?

What do you mean? I'm not correcting anyone, what about my post here was negative?

I don't know how you figured I muddied the waters in your other thread. It was about sliders and I asked a question about sliders. I honestly don't know why certain people here are so hostile.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Top Bottom