Hi Lift Jack

jk_oilfieldlife

Has anyone ever used one of those ARB Bushranger inflating jacks?
It seems like a good concept, but not sure about how trusty it would be in real life situations especially due to sharp rocks or undercarriage poking holes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sigma05

Has anyone ever used one of those ARB Bushranger inflating jacks?
It seems like a good concept, but not sure about how trusty it would be in real life situations especially due to sharp rocks or undercarriage poking holes.

It's made of a heavy duty vulcanized canvas. I used the old version extensively with no issues. The old version was nowhere near as strong as the new one and it held up well. If in doubt, slip a floor matt in between. They're great for getting under tight spots that the hilift can't access. I've even used it to help keep vehicle from scraping on rocks. It can lift 4 tons. Only downside is that it can be slow to inflate.

Brute

Hooked
It's made of a heavy duty vulcanized canvas. I used the old version extensively with no issues. The old version was nowhere near as strong as the new one and it held up well. If in doubt, slip a floor matt in between. They're great for getting under tight spots that the hilift can't access. I've even used it to help keep vehicle from scraping on rocks. It can lift 4 tons. Only downside is that it can be slow to inflate.

And a lot more work to deploy (after seeing their video)...but for sand or soft snow, it might be a big advantage...

Sigma05

And a lot more work to deploy (after seeing their video)...but for sand or soft snow, it might be a big advantage...

I haven't seen the video you're talking about but I can guarantee that it's way easier to use than a HiLift. Definitely less effort since the engine does all the work. It's a different tool that fulfills different needs.

Oreo_penguin536

After having a car almost crush me from a failed bottle jack AND failed scissor jack I can say I’m not getting anywhere near underneath anything unless it has 1 jack and 2 jack stands under it. Not to mention doing that on a trail when your hung up. I just bought a hi lift and haven’t even mounted it yet but I can say I’d rather have 1 sketchy tool that can be a 5 things in one vs 1 took that can be equally as sketchy
Bottle jack=lift things
Hi lift= big ass clamp, big ass spreader/spacer, lift, manual winch if your in a pinch, and something to break a bead in a tire

Just my .2[emoji1478]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
After having a car almost crush me from a failed bottle jack AND failed scissor jack I can say I’m not getting anywhere near underneath anything unless it has 1 jack and 2 jack stands under it. Not to mention doing that on a trail when your hung up. I just bought a hi lift and haven’t even mounted it yet but I can say I’d rather have 1 sketchy tool that can be a 5 things in one vs 1 took that can be equally as sketchy
Bottle jack=lift things
Hi lift= big ass clamp, big ass spreader/spacer, lift, manual winch if your in a pinch, and something to break a bead in a tire

Just my .2[emoji1478]

So a one in a million failed bottle jack is garage to a one in 20 failed high lift/accident? Solid logic.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So a one in a million failed bottle jack is garage to a one in 20 failed high lift/accident? Solid logic.

I'd have to agree. I've personally seen all kinds of stupidness with hi-lift jacks over the last 25+ years but not a single one with a good bottle jack that was used properly. If someone has, it'd be news to me and I'd still have to bet on them to get the job done better and safer than the alternative.

Brute

Hooked
I'd have to agree. I've personally seen all kinds of stupidness with hi-lift jacks over the last 25+ years but not a single one with a good bottle jack that was used properly. If someone has, it'd be news to me and I'd still have to bet on them to get the job done better and safer than the alternative.

I agree with this also...I've carried a high lift for a few years now without ever using it on my rig...only on someone else's (& 1 boat trailer)...and I've seen someone almost knock themselves out with one when they forgot to bring the handle up. I've also been carrying a bottle jack...and thinking about donating the high lift's...

TRLJNKY

My highlift just sits in the corner of the garage. Yeah I know stupid is as stupid does but i just cant bring myself to hauling it around. That and you all have scared the shit out of me to use it lol

aka cavfighter

benatc1

Hooked
just cause a highlift can get the job done doesn't mean its safe, not to mention its no help and even less safe if you have to lift your axle/tire up if you have lots of suspension droop, high lift sits in the garage collecting dust but bottle jack gets to ride around. also i bought nice expensive american made bottle jack so maybe itll fair better than most out there.

Wouldn’t it be more of a benefit to have a “multi-tool” of sorts as far as space saving? That’s atleast what I thought when I bought mine

Yes and no. There is no debate here that it can get the job done. The fact is there are much safer ways. Obviously jacking up requires much less effort and lifts the vehicle far less with a bottle jack rather than a hi lift that you have to hang the axle by all of the suspension travel to swap a tire (90% of what people use it for). You can pop a bead off a tire by jacking up an axle and dropping the rotor or drum on the tire, don’t need a hi lift. Most everyone here has an electrical winch, don’t need a hi lift (or all the shit to go with it and 50’ of chain to use it as a winch) for that. Other things can be done with ratchet straps for trail fixes. It has its place as a functional tool, but it’s rare that it is ever the “go to” for anything, and can be deadly when used wrong or vehicle shifts.

Oreo_penguin536

Okay wait a second. My ideal use for a hi jack is this as an example.

You’re on a trail and for what ever reason get stuck somewhere sketchy, no feasible winch point near by, either by yourself or with a friend but with limited resources and the only way to get unstuck is side shift. You grab your jack, jack your rig up and literally push it to move it over, do that process once more, you’re unstuck, trail running continues.

Is that totally off base or a legitimate way of thinking?

WJCO

Meme King
No way I'm ditching my hilift. It turns too many heads at Home Depot and BedBathAndBeyond.

On another note, just this month, a friend and neighbor of mine has a brand new stitched up chin from a hilift accident. And I would consider this guy a fairly experienced jeeper. It was raining and he ran into another jeep stuck in the mud. He pulled out his trusty hilift to help lift the guy onto firmer ground. The jack kept sinking in the mud and his wet gloves slipped off the handle and cock-slapped him under the chin and left him covered in blood.

Hilifts fucking rock :rock:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Okay wait a second. My ideal use for a hi jack is this as an example.

You’re on a trail and for what ever reason get stuck somewhere sketchy, no feasible winch point near by, either by yourself or with a friend but with limited resources and the only way to get unstuck is side shift. You grab your jack, jack your rig up and literally push it to move it over, do that process once more, you’re unstuck, trail running continues.

Is that totally off base or a legitimate way of thinking?

That can work, and it can also kill someone. I’ve personally seen a hilift shoot out with sufficient force to kill when used to dump a vehicle sideways. (Luckily it shot in between our drunk teenage asses and not directly into one of them).

Top Bottom