Hi-Lift Jack

dwvninety

Alright I asked a simple question asking what people have for hi-lift jacks, not what your opinion is about them. I'm looking for people that actually have and use them. I thought this was a place where people were helpful... guess there are just some people who gotta be the resident assholes around here..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a hi-lift jack and I use it all the time to pull out fence posts and shrubs. You will just need chains and a shovel and it works great. As far as what I use for the Jeep I keep a bottle jack and a 4x4 block in the back.

WJCO

Meme King
My hi lift sits in the garage most of the time. The only accessory I have for it is the Daystar handle isolator to prevent rattles. A bottle jack is way more practical for actual trail use.

As far as the high lift jack, you can use it to pick up chicks....You just have to keep it balanced really well and make sure they've got their foot in the right place.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Yes but that doesn't change the fact that there is now a heavy object and a chunk of 4x4 floating around in the back...

FWIW, i was able to fit a bottle jack in the cubbie where the stock jack was, i believe it is a 6-ton. it is tall enough to lift at the control arms to change a tire, i also carry tire chalks, this jacks sole purpose is for roadside emergencies. when i go wheeling and or work on my jeep (rotate tires, change unit bearings, brakes, etc.) i'll carry and use this:

jack.jpg

i also have a Highlift jack, and the only time i ever use it is if i need to put the frame on jack stands, and i don't lift it high enough to get the wheels off the ground, once i have a jack stand under the frame, i jack up the axle and remove the tire and then lower the axle. you need to carry more equipment to change a tire with a highlift jack if you want to do it safely.

it also gives you 20 more HP when it is mounted on your jeep.

Journeyman

IMG_1659.jpg
Definitely do this one! Or even better, one on each side, custom powder coated. Whatever the largest model is I would most definitely get that one. Just watch out for the parking garages at the mall 🤤

USMC Wrangler

bruggy, you have a JKUR, right? I do have a hi-lift and carry it for some reason on the trail. It fits under the back seat. No need for extra mounts and not a projectile from there. I've only used mine to aid in fabbing my front bumper.

I have used my 20ton Harbor Freight bottle jack several times. It too fits under the back seat and I secure it with a motorcycle type ratchet strap. I also carry the Hi-Lift jack base for soft terrain. The few times I've used that combo, I never felt unsafe and it always worked. 2¢

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Desertman

I still carry my factory jack and a jack board. But the high lift lives in the back mounted to the roll bar. Is it heavy - yes , does it get in the way of loading gear - yes. However it has helped bend a land cruiser back in to shape that had rolled in the desert 50km from the nearest road. I was also the only thing that could raise a GMC truck that was stuck to the chassis in a salt mud bed. So for the extra weight I think it is a good trad off. The jacks need to be maintained I have seen one used that seized in the up position and it took 2 hours to lower the car. So lube and use the neoprene boot to keep out dirt.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
bruggy, you have a JKUR, right? I do have a hi-lift and carry it for some reason on the trail. It fits under the back seat. No need for extra mounts and not a projectile from there.

^ This! ^ Is it really that hard? :crazyeyes:

The idea of getting a hi-lift because there is "no way to strap a bottle jack down" is fucking retarded.

limon_three

My hi lift sits in the garage most of the time. The only accessory I have for it is the Daystar handle isolator to prevent rattles. A bottle jack is way more practical for actual trail use.

As far as the high lift jack, you can use it to pick up chicks....You just have to keep it balanced really well and make sure they've got their foot in the right place.

Ahhhhh...I see what you did there? Clever!

bruggy, you have a JKUR, right? I do have a hi-lift and carry it for some reason on the trail. It fits under the back seat. No need for extra mounts and not a projectile from there. I've only used mine to aid in fabbing my front bumper.

I have used my 20ton Harbor Freight bottle jack several times. It too fits under the back seat and I secure it with a motorcycle type ratchet strap. I also carry the Hi-Lift jack base for soft terrain. The few times I've used that combo, I never felt unsafe and it always worked. 2¢

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Good idea, except I have a bunch of tools/ recovery gear under my seat and the more things I can keep outside of the jeep that would possible get everything muddy, the better. I'm not against a bottle jack at all, I'll most likely buy both and figure out which one works best to have in/ on the jeep and which one will be best to leave at home for at home maintenance.

enfielded0405

FWIW, i was able to fit a bottle jack in the cubbie where the stock jack was, i believe it is a 6-ton. it is tall enough to lift at the control arms to change a tire, i also carry tire chalks, this jacks sole purpose is for roadside emergencies. when i go wheeling and or work on my jeep (rotate tires, change unit bearings, brakes, etc.) i'll carry and use this:

View attachment 263568

i also have a Highlift jack, and the only time i ever use it is if i need to put the frame on jack stands, and i don't lift it high enough to get the wheels off the ground, once i have a jack stand under the frame, i jack up the axle and remove the tire and then lower the axle. you need to carry more equipment to change a tire with a highlift jack if you want to do it safely.

it also gives you 20 more HP when it is mounted on your jeep.

I have and use the same jackstand/jack and carry it when off-roading. Works great. Just big but works for me.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I've never met anyone in the midwest who had a hi-lift mounted on the outside of their Jeep that worked when they needed it to. Road salt and other debris (mud/dirt) gets into it and you go to use it after it sitting out for 2 years and it's all jammed up.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
The following is, at the bare minimum, what you need for your Hi Lift jack...

Neoprene Jack Cover
Handle Keeper
Lift-Mate
Off-Road Base
Bumper Lift
Jack Protector
Fix-it-Kit
Versatile Locking Knob

Wether you mount it to the hood, on the rear door or tire carrier, or, my personal favorite, vertically on the drivers side door, be sure to spend the extra money and get mounts made from extruded aluminum. :thumb:

You forgot a first aid kit for injuries received when using it!

My high lift (purchased years ago when I was a newb) is now used to keep the two bolts tight on the jack mount on my LoD tire carrier. Without the jack I may lose the bolts!

Top Bottom