Hi-Lift Jack

black pearl

Hooked
I have one on my jeep ... have I ever used it on the trail? Yes, twice. It wasn't for lifting though, it was for pushing the jeep off a rock. I keep it on the jeep because I use it around my ranch and other people's ranches, and it's convenient to have it with me... but it's just for looks now on the trail since I have a winch and a small bottle jack.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DKronk42

my high lift was a gift, so I got the evo tailgate mount for it but i only ever put it in the mount when I was going wheeling. i used it on the trail once ever and it wasn't even on my jeep, and I damn near broke a finger anyway.

the bottle Jack I carry has seen more use than I can even recall.

they have a time and a place, but they are far and few between

long story short i won't be mounting it on my jku

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Great info here. I actually have my hi lift mounted to my front bumper just in case I ever needed to change a tire. Terrible idea I'm gathering and luckily I haven't had to use it yet. I'll be buying a bottle jack really soon and unmounting the hi lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info here. I actually have my hi lift mounted to my front bumper just in case I ever needed to change a tire. Terrible idea I'm gathering and luckily I haven't had to use it yet. I'll be buying a bottle jack really soon and unmounting the hi lift.

A Hi-Lift can be useful, it's just the wrong tool for the job of changing a tire. With a Hi-Lift, you need to lift your Jeep sky high in order to unload your suspension enough to get the tire in question off the ground and all the while, you're precariously balancing your Jeep on a stick. This is to say nothing about the jack handle and how it can seriously injure you if you're not careful.

A bottle jack is a great tool especially for changing a tire specifically because you lift your Jeep from the base of your control arm joint or bottom of the differential - the lowest spots on your Jeep. This allows you to safely raise your Jeep just enough to remove the tire and give you much greater stability. A bottle jack is compact and because you can store it inside your Jeep, it will be safe from the elements and ready to go whenever you need it most.

BaddestCross

I don't disagree with those who are against a Hi-Lift for safety reasons. However, I must say that with the proper use and precautions it's a good tool. I carry one because of the versatility and since space is a premium in a 2-door, being able to secure it outside is a plus.

When I have used it to change a tire, I always rachet strap the suspension and lift the Jeep as little as possible to avoid having to run the jack high. The lift straps from Hi-Lift are also good to have to keep things low.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree with those who are against a Hi-Lift for safety reasons. However, I must say that with the proper use and precautions it's a good tool. I carry one because of the versatility and since space is a premium in a 2-door, being able to secure it outside is a plus.

When I have used it to change a tire, I always rachet strap the suspension and lift the Jeep as little as possible to avoid having to run the jack high. The lift straps from Hi-Lift are also good to have to keep things low.

LOL!! The last time I was on a run where someone had a flat, there were at least 3 guys who all ran back to grab their Hi-Lift. I already had the tire off before they could get back. This is to say nothing about setting up a ratchet strap to secure the axle to the frame. Ton more work than is needed and you still need to carry that heavy duty strap somewhere and the strap I'd use for something like that takes up way more real estate than my bottle jack - the one that stores nicely under the rear cubby.

Like with any tool, if used for the wrong application, or used improperly it can and likely will hurt you. Doesn't make it a bad tool.

Never said it was a "bad tool", just that most of the people I see with one just use it to change a tire and there are much better tools for that job.

BaddestCross

LOL!! The last time I was on a run where someone had a flat, there were at least 3 guys who all ran back to grab their Hi-Lift. I already had the tire off before they could get back. This is to say nothing about setting up a ratchet strap to secure the axle to the frame. Ton more work than is needed and you still need to carry that heavy duty strap somewhere and the strap I'd use for something like that takes up way more real estate than my bottle jack - the one that stores nicely under the rear cubby.

Never said it was a "bad tool", just that most of the people I see with one just use it to change a tire and there are much better tools for that job.
Yup. My cubby is my tool box and there's no more room for a bottle jack. Your straps must be as big as your balls because I can fit both of my straps in one hand. My balls, too, for that matter. 😎

A 15 minute tire change in the middle of nowhere seems pretty good to me, but what do I know, I'm just a mallcrawler. Strip malls, at that. 😂

To each their own. Like I said earlier, a Hi-Lift isn't the safest tool for the job, but we all have our own needs. I was just throwing out some tips that work for me in case the OP moves forward with his plan. 🍻

Andy5160

Hooked
Yup. My cubby is my tool box and there's no more room for a bottle jack. Your straps must be as big as your balls because I can fit both of my straps in one hand. My balls, too, for that matter. 😎

A 15 minute tire change in the middle of nowhere seems pretty good to me, but what do I know, I'm just a mallcrawler. Strip malls, at that. 😂

To each their own. Like I said earlier, a Hi-Lift isn't the safest tool for the job, but we all have our own needs. I was just throwing out some tips that work for me in case the OP moves forward with his plan. 🍻

Well put

All I have to say :thumb::thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wayoflife- I know you weren't. I was just making a general statement. In fact a bottle jack can be just as dangerous if used improperly.

LOL!! Oh yeah, I have no doubts there are people out there who can make a cotton ball dangerous.

Yup. My cubby is my tool box and there's no more room for a bottle jack.

Wow - guess I need to learn the fine art of making do with a lot less. :crazyeyes:

Your straps must be as big as your balls because I can fit both of my straps in one hand. My balls, too, for that matter. [emoji41]

:cheesy: Clearly, I'm over-compensating and size doesn't matter :crazyeyes:

A 15 minute tire change in the middle of nowhere seems pretty good to me, but what do I know, I'm just a mallcrawler. Strip malls, at that. [emoji23]

Apparently, your malls have better anchor stores than mine and you know a whole lot more than me. :thumb:

To each their own. Like I said earlier, a Hi-Lift isn't the safest tool for the job, but we all have our own needs. I was just throwing out some tips that work for me in case the OP moves forward with his plan. [emoji482]

And really, that is the bottom line. To each their own. Plus, a mounted Hi-Lift makes you look like a badass. :yup:

Rocksalt

this

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have a Hi Lift on ACE hood hinge mounts on my hood. To be honest, I like the look. Having said that, I've only used it in the 4x4 world a hand full of times. Mostly because somebody was dumb and that literally was the only thing that would work that we had on hand at the time. I've never used it to change a tire except on tractors. My grandfather carried one in the truck religiously but it was for tractors and equipment more than for his trucks. I've used it a few times as a poor mans winch and that was usually winching a dead vehicle onto a trailer because again that's all we had.

Again, I like the look of it mounted on the hood but I'm seriously debating about ditching it and getting one of the Safe Jack bottle jack kits. If I pull it off the jeep it will probably go back to living in the back of my burban and be more of a tool than a jack.

Top Bottom