Hi-Lift mounting?

As mentioned by Moochie, I carry a big bottle Jack, a 6-ton to be exact. I used to carry a 12-ton but found it to be too big. Hi-Lifts can be great tool for certain applications but, more times than not, I just see guys use them to try and change a flat - something they are terrible at and dangerous to do. More times than not, I have found that I can get more done and done more safely with a bottle jack.

What bottle jack do you recommend?

Sent while sitting on the crapper!

jkjurny

In Wild Wild West Part 2, I thought it was pretty cool how you guys used the Hi-Lifts and then the winches to keep the Jeep stable and safe to work under. Learn a lot on those vids.

Hack12

I carry an old bottle jack that I bought from Napa years ago but anything should do the job. :yup:

Very glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was in the market for a jack but can't stand the Hi-Lift's cumbersome size.

Needless to say, went out and grabbed a perfect little 6 ton bottle jack for $29.99 at Lowe's!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In Wild Wild West Part 2, I thought it was pretty cool how you guys used the Hi-Lifts and then the winches to keep the Jeep stable and safe to work under. Learn a lot on those vids.

The winch attached to the Jeep in question was used to keep it from getting pulled back. The Hi-Lifts weren't used to keep the Jeep stable, they were used to help reduce the weight on the back end with the hopes of the axle dropping enough to free itself from the gas tank. That alone didn't work. A winch from the back to help pull/rotate the pinion down was used as well but, the addition of it didn't do the trick either. It was only until we used another winch from up front that we were finally able to pull the pinion down. It was a really hard recovery.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was in the market for a jack but can't stand the Hi-Lift's cumbersome size.

Needless to say, went out and grabbed a perfect little 6 ton bottle jack for $29.99 at Lowe's!

Hi-Lifts definitely have their place and I still own 2 of them. Just whenever possible, I prefer NOT to use one.

jkjurny

The winch attached to the Jeep in question was used to keep it from getting pulled back. The Hi-Lifts weren't used to keep the Jeep stable, they were used to help reduce the weight on the back end with the hopes of the axle dropping enough to free itself from the gas tank. That alone didn't work. A winch from the back to help pull/rotate the pinion down was used as well but, the addition of it didn't do the trick either. It was only until we used another winch from up front that we were finally able to pull the pinion down. It was a really hard recovery.

Thanks for the clarity. Would love to hear more about it when we meet. It was interesting to watch, but could tell there were many hours put into that.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
On my 2012, I had it mounted to the cross/roll bar in the rear using $5 worth of hardware from Home Depot. Was secure, and out of the elements. When not in use, you couldn't even see the mounts or anything.

Armydog

Two grade 8 hardened bolts, washers, and wing nuts. Under 10 bucks. I am planning on a vertical mount but this works for now

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397004382.004713.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Top Bottom