Hiking. Day, Thru, Section, Ultralight to Traditional

WJCO

Meme King
Got to do a really pretty snoeshoe bushwhack today way out in the back-country. Even got some fishing in on a partially froze river (not a single bite). Beautiful scenery though. The footprints are from a Showshoe Hare.

DSC01549.jpg

DSC01543.JPG

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Got to do a really pretty snoeshoe bushwhack today way out in the back-country. Even got some fishing in on a partially froze river (not a single bite). Beautiful scenery though. The footprints are from a Showshoe Hare.

Looks like a nice hike! We’ve had only 2” of snow thus far and it’s all melted already. Just as well, as I’m stuck renovating the kitchen and have many more weekends of work ahead of me.

WJCO

Meme King
Cool...literally

The high temp today hit 35F (not counting windchill) but with the calories we were burning, it felt like summer. Great temps for this area.

Looks like a nice hike! We’ve had only 2” of snow thus far and it’s all melted already. Just as well, as I’m stuck renovating the kitchen and have many more weekends of work ahead of me.

In town, we've had a few storms but not much accumulation. However this area we were at, this time of year is pretty normal. About 2 feet of snow.
I feel your pain regarding the home projects. This is the first time in awhile that I've been able to get out like this.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have a TarpTent MoTrails tent or a Gossamer The Two tent? Any preference? Or maybe some other UL tents I should be researching? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Does anyone have a TarpTent MoTrails tent or a Gossamer The Two tent? Any preference? Or maybe some other UL tents I should be researching? Thanks

I've heard of both of those brands, but no experience with them. I've been very happy with ZPacks gear, if you haven't heard of them. Good quality and very lightweight.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I've heard of both of those brands, but no experience with them. I've been very happy with ZPacks gear, if you haven't heard of them. Good quality and very lightweight.

Zpacks look really really nice, but too much $ for me to justify right now. Which one do you have?

Have you ever tried using a Tarp and Bivy?

WJCO

Meme King
Zpacks look really really nice, but too much $ for me to justify right now. Which one do you have?

Have you ever tried using a Tarp and Bivy?

I own two of their packs, a sleeping bag, and some accessories. Like you, I didn't want to pay that much for a tent. I prefer more room, especially for extra gear when I snow camp. I actually built my own 2 person tent out of a cheap eBay shell that's really light. I went with custom carbon fiber poles and some other things and still came out lighter than a lot of manufacturers and less weight. It's survived through many camps. After about 2 years, the zipper broke so I just bought another cheap shell but still was able to keep the custom poles and other stuff.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I own two of their packs, a sleeping bag, and some accessories. Like you, I didn't want to pay that much for a tent. I prefer more room, especially for extra gear when I snow camp. I actually built my own 2 person tent out of a cheap eBay shell that's really light. I went with custom carbon fiber poles and some other things and still came out lighter than a lot of manufacturers and less weight. It's survived through many camps. After about 2 years, the zipper broke so I just bought another cheap shell but still was able to keep the custom poles and other stuff.

Awesome stuff! Merry Christmas, I’ll maybe pick your brain some more before I pull the trigger.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Spring has arrived in South-Eastern Wisconsin. Sue and I completed a 50 miles in 30 Days challenge with a 5.54 mile hike at the Zillmer Trails today:

The pines were fragrant as the sun warmed them:

IMG_9171.jpg

The woods are getting greener by the day:

IMG_9172.jpg

Trilliums are in bloom:

IMG_9187.jpg

IMG_9188.jpg

First Bumble Bee of the season:

IMG_9186.jpg

Random flowers that caught our eye:

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

IMG_9191.jpg

Sue spotted this curious Scarlet Tanager:

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9179.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

It was a great day!

Brute

Hooked
Spring has arrived in South-Eastern Wisconsin. Sue and I completed a 50 miles in 30 Days challenge with a 5.54 mile hike at the Zillmer Trails today:

View attachment 327671

View attachment 327672

Trilliums are in bloom:

View attachment 327673

View attachment 327674

View attachment 327675

View attachment 327676

View attachment 327677

View attachment 327678

View attachment 327679

View attachment 327681

View attachment 327682

View attachment 327683

It was a great day!

Awesome!...and your Milwaukee Bucks will have time to join you...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Awesome!...and your Milwaukee Bucks will have time to join you...

Haha, I don’t follow them, but it good to see that they did well! I stopped following all professional sport when the disgrace of Lance Armstrong unsurfaced. I will watch an occasional Packer game with family, but it’s rare.

Clutch

Caught the Bug

View attachment 327671

View attachment 327672

Trilliums are in bloom:

View attachment 327673

View attachment 327674

View attachment 327675

View attachment 327676

View attachment 327677

View attachment 327678

View attachment 327679

View attachment 327681

View attachment 327682

View attachment 327683

It was a great day!

It’s nice to be able to enjoy the fresh air!

Haha, I don’t follow them, but it good to see that they did well! I stopped following all professional sport when the disgrace of Lance Armstrong unsurfaced. I will watch an occasional Packer game with family, but it’s rare.

I’m still a big fan of Lance. The way that whole story blew up was silly. Especially for THAT sport where doping was just standard operating procedure. lol

Anyhoo. Looks like a great hike and congrats on completing that challenge. Nice tanager too!

Gtb

Nice! Island Lake is a great spot to make a mini base camp. Here is last September with my brother in the Wind Rivers. We went in to Titcomb first, then in again at New Fork Canyon. Highly recommend New Fork. Almost no one there and really nice terrain. We went in two different locations for two three-day trips because I hate carrying 6 days of food along with all the camera gear I haul.

Here is Island Lake one morning

DChew_140901_007537-FrameShop.jpg

Getting into Titcomb Basin

DChew_140831_007454_p1-FrameShop.jpg

Starting in New Fork Canyon

DChew_140903_01537-FrameShop.jpg

Now we are getting somewhere

DChew_140903_01578-FrameShop.jpg

Went off-trail the second day. Found a room with a view, but it wasn't very wind protected.

DChew_140904_01697-FrameShop.jpg

Sunset that evening

DChew_140904_007713_p2-FrameShop.jpg

Dave

Beautiful!!! So jealous, I gotta get out there.

Top Bottom