Holy Cross Summer 2020

WJCO

Meme King
I certainly don't want to discourage any of you from doing this, but I also want to get something out there honestly since I don't know what most of you are accustomed to. Like a lot of trails out here, this trail is steep and narrow with big rocks and it's becoming more popular. It's a one way in and one way out trail. So with a large group coming down, there's a good chance of a large group coming up with most spots not being able to pass. It can create quite a time-consuming (and unsafe) situation. I'm just throwing this out there for you guys that are seriously considering it. Some pics I got from last year are below if you didn't see them in the other thread. Most of the trail is like this.

DSC03053.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I certainly don't want to discourage any of you from doing this, but I also want to get something out there honestly since I don't know what most of you are accustomed to. Like a lot of trails out here, this trail is steep and narrow with big rocks and it's becoming more popular. It's a one way in and one way out trail. So with a large group coming down, there's a good chance of a large group coming up with most spots not being able to pass. It can create quite a time-consuming (and unsafe) situation. I'm just throwing this out there for you guys that are seriously considering it. Some pics I got from last year are below if you didn't see them in the other thread. Most of the trail is like this.

View attachment 341650

View attachment 341651

View attachment 341652

Other than the traffic, that looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Slimebones

View attachment 341650

View attachment 341651

View attachment 341652

Understated for sure. Very few places to pass, especially for a large group. Can turn into a VERY long day!

Weebz

Caught the Bug

View attachment 341650

View attachment 341651

View attachment 341652

I whole heartedly agree that all that
Does is make me want to go there more. I greatly appreciate the heads up on time though as it is something we need to consider. But seriously, things like that is exactly why I’m driving across
The country.

Slimebones

I whole heartedly agree that all that
Does is make me want to go there more. I greatly appreciate the heads up on time though as it is something we need to consider. But seriously, things like that is exactly why I’m driving across
The country.

Indeed! This is a trail we try to keep to ourselves, but the word is out. I am sure you will enjoy. Just be patient. French Creek is awesome and good luck on Cleveland Rock. FYI: I would seriously try to plan this with a much smaller group. Just sayin.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks for the heads up Colorado guys. What would you consider a doable group size and how long does this trail take to run? What would you consider are the minimum requirements
to do it "comfortably"?

dillard09

I agree. As fun as Holy Cross was for the wheeling and scenery, the waiting on a group of about 10-12 Toyotas from Crawl magazine in front of us was terrible. There is no real place to pass that many rigs at once and they didnt want to let the 2 jeeps in the middle of them. 🤦*♂️ Sucked!! It took us about 4hrs to make it to the top because of them and when we got to the city they went straight to Cleveland rock. So no way was I going to sit and wait on them there also. Not to mention before we headed down the first rig in Cleveland rock rolled so... We turned around before them and it was much quicker on the way down.
Maybe yall can break it up in a few smaller groups and space out up the trail. Give people going the opposite way or faster an chance to pass easier. 🤷*♂️

WJCO

Meme King
What would you consider a doable group size and how long does this trail take to run?

5-6 Jeeps is probably a good number. I would imagine on a week day where it's not as crowded, maybe more. It's pretty much an all day thing, it's a slow moving trail and most of the obstacles take a few attempts. And of course there's the drive to the trail, and the drive home afterward.

What would you consider are the minimum requirements
to do it "comfortably"?

Lockers. 35s. Rockers. Skid plates. I think we had 3 guys last year with 37s that were scraping in the creek. Any one who doesn't have a winch, it would be a good idea to have a Jeep go in front of and behind that member during the creek crossing.

Maybe yall can break it up in a few smaller groups and space out up the trail. Give people going the opposite way or faster an chance to pass easier. 🤷*♂️

^ This is a good idea.

Bierpower

Hooked
Just for a little added perspective.

I did this trail with WJCO last year and if I remember correctly, we met on the dirt road about 20 min from the trail head at 9am and I believe it was 4:30 or 5 when we got off the trail and about 5:30 to reach the pavement, 6 by the end of airing up.

Keep in mind that from there it's about an hour to the nearest town and several hours to any major city.

We did stop for a short stretch and lunch at the top.

This was the trail that broke my front gears running 35's. My recommendation would be 37's but it is doable on 35's at a bare minimum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Since this is an afterthought, maybe it would be best to wait and see how we're all feeling after we're done with Moab and heading to Ouray.
Maybe gauge interest while we're there & see how many are interested. This is gonna be a long trip with a shitload of wheeling so this may end
up being unfeasible.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Since this is an afterthought, maybe it would be best to wait and see how we're all feeling after we're done with Moab and heading to Ouray.
Maybe gauge interest while we're there & see how many are interested. This is gonna be a long trip with a shitload of wheeling so this may end
up being unfeasible.

I agree. There’s still a lot up in the air right now

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

WJCO

Meme King
up being unfeasible.

I agree. There’s still a lot up in the air right now

Wise. Below is my post at 11pm after we got home that night when we did it last year :D

I think this one so far is my favorite trail I've done. Too long of a day that I doubt I'll ever do it again, but what an adventure.

Ddays

Hooked
Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
I think this one so far is my favorite trail I've done. Too long of a day that I doubt I'll ever do it again, but what an adventure.

LOL, stop that! This post and the pics are making me want to do this damn thing even more! :crazyeyes:

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Lockers. 35s. Rockers. Skid plates. I think we had 3 guys last year with 37s that were scraping in the creek. Any one who doesn't have a winch, it would be a good idea to have a Jeep go in front of and behind that member during the creek crossing.

And you guys wanted to see what I would have done on 35s no lift no lockers and no winch. :hmm:

boardsurfer

And you guys wanted to see what I would have done on 35s no lift no lockers and no winch. :hmm:

giphy.gif

Top Bottom