How much side slope can a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon safely handle?

10abadilla/jk

We had one yesterday that was driving up and leaning driver and he said "this feels sketchy as hell". I was spotting him and I told him he was ok and guided him through it.
If you know the limits of your rig and don't feel good it's always best to back off a bit.
A spotter always helps to because it will always feel worse than it is while sitting in the drivers seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
^^^^^^ ain't that the truth. It feels way worse in the drivers seat!

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Yes, Dumont Dunes. This was my first time driving on sand dunes. Great experience I'll never forget.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
I take it for granted now, but forget it's not that easy for some. It is a lot of fun once you figure it out but I've seen all too often what can happen with inexperience or liquid courage. I should plan a day trip and get some WALer's out there. I know a guy who can get us in for free..;)..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eddie_k

I take it for granted now, but forget it's not that easy for some. It is a lot of fun once you figure it out but I've seen all too often what can happen with inexperience or liquid courage. I should plan a day trip and get some WALer's out there. I know a guy who can get us in for free..;)..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd love to join and learn/build up my confidence.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

Had a few close calls

But the one that really really scared me was in 1977. I am a geologist which means I get to drive my jeep at work off road a lot. Grading jobs etc. this day we had got a new project I. And it was a big job out in the Cowan heights area. Back then there were very few homes there so I get there and think well I ll just go on up to the top of the hill in my nearly new like a few months cj7 golden eagle 4x4 with quadratech and full time 4 wheel drive oh and a very important fact automatic. So I get in drive up the hill jeep scan go anywhere right ?get to the top and there is a 3 ft vertical lip of volcanic breccia that I can't get up. So try try try no way. I throw it in reverse and next thing I know I am hauling ass backwards down the hill so what am I up to now about mistake 3 or 4. I mean I am screaming down the hill backwards and I hit the brakes the jeep rocks downward throwing all weight to the back wheel s. now no am I going way to fast but now I can't steer. And then the jeep does a j turn the one and only time I have ever done that and slews around sideways and stops on the side of the hill I throw it in park and bail out walk halfway down the hill stop try to breathe and look around for someone to pay to drive it off the hill. No one around except some vultures circling over head So I walk back up the hill get out my Brunton compass we use it to easrure angles on rocks and set it on the dash
It was at 28 degrees that is as steep as a blue ski run steeper than 2:1 slope So I start it up and turn the steering wheel side to side while it's I. Park and I am standing outside of the jeep until it walks around a little more. Then when it pointed mostly past sideways I get it and drive it over the side of the ridge and into the canyon bottom so I ca drive it out. Yeah side hills scare me too. Later I found out that 4 kids out wheelin rolled their cj5 and were all killed I never liked side hills or backing down a hill in an auto. Thing is I bet it could have taken 10 maybe 12 degrees more.

Top Bottom