How much side slope can a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon safely handle?

Trail JK

At this point, you really need to trust your spotter.
main.php

This is the point, you've gone too far.
main.php

:shock:

You and Cindy are cray cray in both of those shots! [emoji50][emoji15] Good times!

I call bullshit. Look at the smile on Ray's face.

Shhhh! [emoji6][emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I agree with all that has been said so far. A lot of it is feel and the more you do it the more comfortable you get. Know your Jeep and know its limits so you don't go to far. The dunes are another place where you can be tipped but you actually need momentum to keep you upright. If you let fear get the best of you in the best case scenario you get stuck and spend some time digging, worst case could be going upside down multiple times. I've been driving them now for over 10 years and I learned to navigate them in a 3/4 ton Ford Super Duty Diesel. I took my Jeep out there with no doors and it was game on. I felt totally in control and knew my limits and what I could do in the Jeep. Everyone watching me and my 3 passengers thought I was crazy and that I was going to roll and die. I was just laughing. We got back to camp and one got sick the others hands hurt from holding on so tight.. That was a good time and they all wouldn't hesitate to go again. I keep wanting to put together a Day trip to the dunes but just haven't. You learn a lot about your vehicle there.

Tanktitan

Join a group and wheel with others. Watch what they are able to do with similar equipment. You can too.

Wait till you drive up a rock and your windshield goes to "nothing but blue". Feels like you are driving into the sky. What a rush!

Your Jeep is an incredibly capable machine but it does have its limits. Have fun finding yours.

KYRubi

I go by a combination of what I'm feeling and what my spotter is telling me. I have an inclinometer built into my TrailDash 2. Not once, have I looked at it when concerned about flopping the Jeep over. I'm always way to preoccupied with keeping the Jeep from flopping, keeping an eye on my surroundings, listening to my spotter, etc.

Eddie_k

And this happened to me while driving in the dunes. I thought I would flip for sure, but I pushed the pedal and somehow survived. You should see the video from the dash cam. My reaction is priceless. I ventured out alone and found myself in an unfamiliar territory. All I knew I could not stop or else I would get stuck in the deep sand, so I kept driving blindly and running into steep drop offs. I finally got to a solid ground but I'll never forget the whole experience. IMG_3205.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
And this happened to me while driving in the dunes. I thought I would flip for sure, but I pushed the pedal and somehow survived. You should see the video from the dash cam. My reaction is priceless. I ventured out alone and found myself in an unfamiliar territory. All I knew I could not stop or else I would get stuck in the deep sand, so I kept driving blindly and running into steep drop offs. I finally got to a solid ground but I'll never forget the whole experience. View attachment 257710

Thats Dumont looking towards comp hill if I'm not mistaken. I know those Dunes well. In the dunes your brakes are your worst enemy. You learn to steer with your throttle.

KYRubi

Here's the closest I've come to flopping other than my very first trip where the trail guide actually put me against a tree while showing me how capable my Jeep was. No video running on that trail ride though.

12715964_233604423640732_8113045625058277631_o_zpso2heofpl.jpg

Soupie

Off camber situations suck and bother me more than heights. In the picture below I was literally laying on Ray's lap [emoji23]. We were not in any danger but it still felt scary. It helps to wheel with people you trust and have a good spotter. Like Eddie said, there's no shame and backing off or not doing an obstacle you're not comfortable with. You can look into getting a inclinometer angle degree rolling pitch gauge and it might give you some peace of mind. I don't think you'll depend on it too much but when you're feeling a little sketchy you can look at it and know you're okay or know that you're in a sketchy situation and need to make a change. Flops certainly do happen I've seen of few.

View attachment 257682 .
View attachment 257683

Yes, I know that spot and it FEELS a lot more sketchy than it looks!!! Haha

black pearl

Hooked
Wait till you drive up a rock and your windshield goes to "nothing but blue". Feels like you are driving into the sky. What a rush!

I took someone with me on a run last weekend that hadn't ever been wheeling... he kept asking what the hell I was doing as all he could see was sky I just looked over laugh and said how do you think I feel I'm driving [emoji23][emoji23]

Chris1015

And this happened to me while driving in the dunes. I thought I would flip for sure, but I pushed the pedal and somehow survived. You should see the video from the dash cam. My reaction is priceless. I ventured out alone and found myself in an unfamiliar territory. All I knew I could not stop or else I would get stuck in the deep sand, so I kept driving blindly and running into steep drop offs. I finally got to a solid ground but I'll never forget the whole experience. View attachment 257710

Holy cow, man. That looks wild!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

We had one yesterday that was driving up and leaning driver and he said "this feels sketchy as hell". I was spotting him and I told him he was ok and guided him through it.
If you know the limits of your rig and don't feel good it's always best to back off a bit.
A spotter always helps to because it will always feel worse than it is while sitting in the drivers seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom