How to Suffocate Your JL Wrangler...

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: Just like me after working on Jeeps on the Rubicon :D

Not yet but I got a new filter for it and will do one soon.

Indeed. After seeing the mess CAI's and other high flow filters can cause, I am now a firm believer in OE paper filters. :yup:

Yup, I was really expecting the worst but so happy to see just how well the OE filter did. :yup:

I have found the OE paper filter on the JK to do significantly better than any K&N or otherwise but after a run like this, I would still find traces of dust inside the air tube and oil that was dirtier than I would think is normal. In fact, I would normally change both right afterward. This time around, my air tube on my JL looked surprisingly clean and my oil, something I had just changed before the trip, still looked good as well. :yup:

Oh yea I know in my experience in racing in the desert paper filter is always better than any CAI we would even run a pre-filter. Would running a thin layer of grease on the edges of the stock filter help make a better seal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hot damn! That’s a lot. Did you take the intake off and check out the throttle body?

I was going to but after seeing how clean the air tube was, I didn't bother. I may still when I get a chance though.

Oh yea I know in my experience in racing in the desert paper filter is always better than any CAI we would even run a pre-filter. Would running a thin layer of grease on the edges of the stock filter help make a better seal.

Possibly. Fortunately, the edges of the JL paper filter is a soft silicon like seal. I think it does a pretty good job all on its own.

Lojo

:cheesy: Just like me after working on Jeeps on the Rubicon :D

Not yet but I got a new filter for it and will do one soon.

Indeed. After seeing the mess CAI's and other high flow filters can cause, I am now a firm believer in OE paper filters. :yup:

Yup, I was really expecting the worst but so happy to see just how well the OE filter did. :yup:

I have found the OE paper filter on the JK to do significantly better than any K&N or otherwise but after a run like this, I would still find traces of dust inside the air tube and oil that was dirtier than I would think is normal. In fact, I would normally change both right afterward. This time around, my air tube on my JL looked surprisingly clean and my oil, something I had just changed before the trip, still looked good as well. :yup:

I had done some research when I wanted a cold air intake for my truck. I was surprised to find out there wasn’t much difference between oem and upgrades. The newer filters actually allow a much higher volume of air through than before and much cleaner . Testing and technology is getting better year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
An important lesson I learned from this forum is to change the filter regularly. And that is just on my JK. Glad to see a quality factory filter on the JL. I’ll be sure to change that one....assuming I ever see dust again. [emoji23]

Thank for the vid!

Top Bottom