How's this for a way of life?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just read this article on some of the commutes people are choosing to take in the bay area: http://www.mercurynews.com/business...jobs-city-affordable-homes?source=infinite-up

"It becomes a way of life," explained Jonathan Levers, who clocks 130 miles during his daily commute between Brentwood and Redwood City, where he works for an e-commerce firm.

When the Bay Area News Group asked readers about their faraway homes and long commutes, the responses flooded in. They described a wide assortment of grueling drives, including from Manteca to Mountain View (140 miles round trip); Los Banos to San Francisco (240 miles); American Canyon to Santa Clara (150 miles); Discovery Bay to South San Jose (130 miles); Patterson to Palo Alto (170 miles); Tracy to Walnut Creek (90 miles); Modesto to Campbell (170 miles); Hollister to Mountain View (120 miles); Newman to downtown San Jose (190 miles).

60,000 miles commuting a year (240 miles/day, 5 days/wk, 50wks/yr). That's F'n insane!

I'm annoyed when my commute takes 15 minutes. :crazyeyes:

07JKSahara

I used to be 120 miles a day with 80 hr in the office weeks. I didn't have a family, now I do. I make less now, but work from home 2 days a week and only drive 30 miles the other 3 days. I think people have different priorities. I'm in the Bay Area, and it is crazy expensive no doubt about that.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Long ago I did the 120 a day thing and it didn't seem bad then but I couldn't imagine doing it now. Especially with the traffic nowadays - friggin crazy :eek:

Luckily I'm not in LA traffic. It's from tehachapi to Bakersfield. The drives pretty once I get above the smog [emoji17]

Clem319

In my younger years I made bad real estate decisions that forced me to commute to Ventura from Bakersfield for my 12 hour work shift. It was about a 230 mile round trip. Up to 5 days a week. It lasted a little over a year before I could no longer take it. Also I bought a Kia Rio to commute in. Not sure if the car or commute was worse [emoji57]

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We currently do 80-100 miles a day round trip. Luckily the wife and I both work at the same place and roughly the same hours and can carpool. That's fixing to change though and we will be about 3 miles away from work. Even when traffic is it's heaviest, it's still less than 10 minutes to our soon to be new to us place.

Rhin0247

I have the luxury of commuting 4.6 miles round trip, while my poor fiance has a 62.8 miles round trip commute in Boston traffic

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I was at around 90 miles a day, plus whatever driving I did while at work. Drove from home in NM to job in TX 6 days a week. In a CJ7 on I10, no fun at all!

hbkid22

I drive 9 miles to work one way however I still put on 50+ miles a day. Gotta love driving to job sites and City meetings.

noroad

65 miles a day to work! min amount of time is 4 hours. and I hate that never mind that amount!

RedRum

That's a rough commute mine has been 215 miles round trip for the last 3.5 years

Just got transferred so my new commute is .25 miles from my house lol

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My wife's is just under 130 round trip and mine is about 55.

My wife's commute has caused a totaled car. SUCKS! I'm just glad she did not get hurt.

five5select

My commute used to be 6 miles a day until I bought a new house. Now I'm about 25 miles a day. I thought that was bad.. haha

Top Bottom