Hydro Assist

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Haha....that joke truly never gets old. What are the cons of hydro assist?

What he said. Also, with hydro you can turn even when you shouldn’t. Bending tie rods and drag links is more common. Ripping off track bar brackets and so on. I’ve seen it. Sure I’ve had issues where hydro would have been nice but never any times where I absolutely needed it.

I tell most people that if they’re replacing the pump, then you might as well get a PSC pump.

Like Overlander said, hydro assist is nice but it does open the door to a whole other set of issues, mostly leaks. Hoses rub shit and have a tendency to work themselves loose at the fittings causing small leaks. On a stock axle, real estate is tight already so adding the ram (haha) only makes it tighter.

Wheeling Moab without it is a PITA, at least in my opinion. You may find yourself in some situations that are already uncomfortable to be in, only to have to 3 point turn it as well.

In my opinion, you’re going to end up with it anyways so you might as well do it now. Sure it can have its little quirks but overall, it is better to have it than not.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
So I have a similar issue. I’m just going to 37s this week and the OEM steering setup I’m running now is feeling shakey. The existing box has some play in it. When you rotate the steering wheel back and forth you can feel some play and a small shock load through the frame. It’s time to do something but I just sprung for wheels and tires. If I go for the full assist my kids will get coal in their stockings this Christmas. Does it makes sense to do the XDII now with the pump and cooler (I have the PSC frame already for my tranny cooler) and see how that works out. I’m heading to the Winter Jamboree in Jan and Moab this Spring so want to get it right without breaking the bank. Any thoughts appreciated.

I’m slowing building my way that way, but for more than a year I have just been running the XDll with out the pump and res. I’m going to add the pump and res this winter, and someday the ram, but it’s been great as is.

A couple things when you do upgrade. Get the swepco flush prior to using swepco power steering fluid. And make sure you upgrade at least your draglink, and possibly you tie rod. The new gear will exert a ton of force on the steering components. The install is fun, that massive gear does not what to slide in easily. Pull the coolant res and go in from above. Use a strap to help lower it down. It’s best having a second person under the Jeep helping to guide it into place. You’ll also have to move a couple abs wires clear.

Good luck!

I’m slowing building my way that way, but for more than a year I have just been running the XDll with out the pump and res. I’m going to add the pump and res this winter, and someday the ram, but it’s been great as is.

A couple things when you do upgrade. Get the swepco flush prior to using swepco power steering fluid. And make sure you upgrade at least your draglink, and possibly you tie rod. The new gear will exert a ton of force on the steering components. The install is fun, that massive gear does not what to slide in easily. Pull the coolant res and go in from above. Use a strap to help lower it down. It’s best having a second person under the Jeep helping to guide it into place. You’ll also have to move a couple abs wires clear.

Good luck!

Super! Thanks for the advise. I have upgraded the tie rod and drag link so should be OK there. Looking forward to the install now. This week I’m mounting the new KMCs and Coopers. Still not sure if I’ll go with the assist but the new steering box is going in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Super! Thanks for the advise. I have upgraded the tie rod and drag link so should be OK there. Looking forward to the install now. This week I’m mounting the new KMCs and Coopers. Still not sure if I’ll go with the assist but the new steering box is going in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just get it ported so you’re ready for the ram whether now or later.

DaCooyon

Would it be beneficial to get a PSC pump over a stock replacement and not do hydro assist. Then could always do the assist later?

The only current change to my steering is the PSC pump. It is much easier to turn than it was with the oem pump (on the street and the limited light wheeling I've done so far). My pump is the XR Series CBR pump that was part of a 2.75" double ram full hydro kit. We revalved it so it wouldn't be too overboosted and to get the correct pressure side fitting. I will be putting a 1.75 assist ram on mine at some point. Nothing worse then straining on your steering wheel when the Jeep is getting light and your spotter is telling you to adjust the line.

There are articles on how to mod the oem pump to boost the pressure too. You could give that a try to see how you like it as a starting point. But it still won't give the flow and pressures on a PSC.

ak49

I've had the PSC hydro assist in one form or another the past 5 years. My first PSC gearbox lasted about 14k miles. Went with their newer XDII gearbox this time, which also required me to upgrade my pump. If you have EVO's DTD, then make sure you tell PSC up front because they will have to change the pump fittings. Since the XDII was also bigger than my previous PSC, it was a pain to get it to fit properly because of the DTD shock tower bracket.

To your original question, it is definitely worth it especially in rocks. Even with 35's I had troubles turning sometimes with rocks, so I wouldn't want to try it with 37's.

I've had the PSC hydro assist in one form or another the past 5 years. My first PSC gearbox lasted about 14k miles. Went with their newer XDII gearbox this time, which also required me to upgrade my pump. If you have EVO's DTD, then make sure you tell PSC up front because they will have to change the pump fittings. Since the XDII was also bigger than my previous PSC, it was a pain to get it to fit properly because of the DTD shock tower bracket.

To your original question, it is definitely worth it especially in rocks. Even with 35's I had troubles turning sometimes with rocks, so I wouldn't want to try it with 37's.

I’m with you, I just picked up my new 37s yesterday and it’s amazing how much bigger the contact patch is than on the 35s. It is painful to be on a tough trail and get the word to turn driver and all you can do is hold your hands up and say ” It’s all I got”.

PEACEMAKER1

I am definitely planning to upgrade to a hydro set-up next year. Now that I am running my 37s, I feel like there is some slop in the steering. It feels like the tires are in control of the steering rather than the steering wheel controlling the tires if that makes sense...like when you hit a bump, you feel it in the steering wheel a lot. Is that just because the stock power steering can't keep up with the larger tires? Will a hydro set up fix this problem? Or is there something else going on that I can't figure out?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am definitely planning to upgrade to a hydro set-up next year. Now that I am running my 37s, I feel like there is some slop in the steering. It feels like the tires are in control of the steering rather than the steering wheel controlling the tires if that makes sense...like when you hit a bump, you feel it in the steering wheel a lot. Is that just because the stock power steering can't keep up with the larger tires? Will a hydro set up fix this problem? Or is there something else going on that I can't figure out?

Sounds like bump steer. What’s your lift height? Do you have a drag link flip and raised track bar bracket?

PEACEMAKER1

I am running the XD60s with the 1550 knuckles, so there is no flip for the drag link. But I am running the stock drag link and I wonder if I am getting flex there because it is pretty small...The track bar bracket is what comes on the 60. The rig drives straight on smooth road when I let go of the wheel, but it's almost like there is a dead spot in center of the steering.

Top Bottom