Hydrolocked engine comprehensive coverage

Jack diddly

I did the exact same thing with my old 08 that I hydrolocked as well. I have insurance through USAA but I had my jeep towed to the 4x4 shop in town I always went to and my insurance company found a donor motor that had only 15k miles on it and sent it to the shop my jeep was at. They also sent a check to that shop that covered the cost I got quoted minus my deductible. So essentially all I had to do was pay the shop the difference that my insurance check didn't cover which was actually a little less than my deductible.

Worked out well in my case and USAA took really good care of me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
I've got usaa too. Adding this comprehensive insurance. Does it raise the cost alot more from paying regular insurance and did you also tell them about all the upgrades added to your jeep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I've got usaa too. Adding this comprehensive insurance. Does it raise the cost alot more from paying regular insurance and did you also tell them about all the upgrades added to your jeep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app
If you don't have comprehensive coverage then yes it will add cost to your monthly premium.

And they did not ask about upgrades to my vehicle when I explained what happened, but they sent an adjuster to the shop to check it out. The guy at the shop told me the guy came by the shop pretty much just to verify that the vehicle was actually mine with the vin and confirmed with the shop what parts they needed to fix it and that was it. So obviously they knew the jeep was modified but it was never a conversation about the fact that it was modified.

In my case I had a janky home made cold air intake that I'm pretty sure helped in the fact that I hydrolocked it but I didn't volunteer that information and from what I understand the adjuster didn't look under the hood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Collins

I'm confused. Why would anyone think they wouldn't be covered? That's the entire point of comprehensive insurance. Your rates are definitely going to go up but that's why you have insurance. It's no different than you plowing into a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just didn't think it would be covered if I drove it into a creek. I thought it would cover flood damage and I suspect lots of other folks would think the same and is why I posted this information. My carrier said my rate would go up for a collision claim over $750, driving into a wall, but not for a comprehensive claim.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I just didn't think it would be covered if I drove it into a creek. I thought it would cover flood damage and I suspect lots of other folks would think the same and is why I posted this information. My carrier said my rate would go up for a collision claim over $750, driving into a wall, but not for a comprehensive claim.

Interesting- hadn't thought of the flood angle. Good to know.

Clark Collins

Snorkel & Breather hoses

I am planning on installing an AEV snorkel to prevent a repeat of my hydrolocked engine incident. I plan to run it with the ram top rather than paying extra for the Pre-filter. I'm thinking of joining the auto Transmission and transfer case breather lines together and then running a single line to the lower part of the air cleaner housing. I also plan to run the rear axle breather to the engine compartment and join it to the front axle breather and run a single line from those to the air cleaner housing. The transfer case and transmission both us ATV+4 and the axles also use the same fluid, so the potential of fluid getting from one to the other shouldn't be an issue. I intend to block the holes in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, but may put a one way drain in the bottom.

Do any forum members know of any good reason to not join the breather hoses as I intend.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I am planning on installing an AEV snorkel to prevent a repeat of my hydrolocked engine incident. I plan to run it with the ram top rather than paying extra for the Pre-filter. I'm thinking of joining the auto Transmission and transfer case breather lines together and then running a single line to the lower part of the air cleaner housing. I also plan to run the rear axle breather to the engine compartment and join it to the front axle breather and run a single line from those to the air cleaner housing. The transfer case and transmission both us ATV+4 and the axles also use the same fluid, so the potential of fluid getting from one to the other shouldn't be an issue. I intend to block the holes in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, but may put a one way drain in the bottom.

Do any forum members know of any good reason to not join the breather hoses as I intend.

I have mine combine into the ARB breathers with no issue so far. If you do not run a pre filter make sure you turn the ram air backward if you are ever doing a water crossing. It will help prevent water from splashing up into intake and making its way down to the filter. Also, a buddy of mine packed his air filter full of snow running the ram face forward driving through a good snow storm. You will need to have a drain in the bottom to let any rain out that it may collect too. For all those reasons, I spent the extra 135 and put the pre filter on it.

WJCO

Meme King

I don't see any issues joining the breathers.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That video is awesome with the drone following you. Was that some kind of proximity hover mode or was someone maually operating it?

I have a DJI Mavic. It will follow a jeep or a person well, but as soon as you get into tree cover it will loose its fix on the jeep so you have to do it manually. That shot was manually done. One hand on the steering wheel, one on the controller. I know that water hole well, normally I would not have attempted doing that. The video quality is amazing and even the app that it comes with is good for making short videos. Here’s a quick one I made in camp from that run:

https://youtu.be/QPXzTbYaMN8

It’s a great platform for shooting the runs, but it’s tough when you are the trail leader and trying to set up shots while taking care of everyone. It take a bit if time to set it up and launch it but once you are up you have around 20 minutes of flight time.

Top Bottom