HydroScrewed?????

Soapbox time. Sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. Unless you have coverage that includes off roading, making an insurance claim and being anything but completely honest about what happened is insurance fraud...and it is part of the reason that insurance costs so much in this country.

Either pay the extra money to find a policy that will cover your off road adventures, or accept the consequences and costs associated with how you choose to wheel. To me, this is no different than some asshat who injures his back screwing around on the weekend and then goes to work the following Monday and "takes a fall" so they can claim worker's compensation and disability.

Honesty and integrity start at home people...and if we can't exhibit those traits in our own personal lives, how the hell can we expect them out of our elected officials and corporate leaders?!?

Sorry, rant over.

Double-ditto :thumb::yup:

This said, My insurance covers me as long as I am not in a registered "race" or doing anything illegal. ...but having said that, I have fixed plenty of things and not ran it through insurance. I figure the fixing is part of the game. There is a point though where I would consider a claim and the risk of being dropped (like a rollover). I do keep my deductible high though so it clams the insurance company a bit.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Pretty sure MTG's comment was tongue in cheek. Anyway, while you are technically correct, it is also true that some dealerships "flag" certain modified vehicles. Once flagged in the system, it is nearly impossible to get warranty work performed. Yes, as a consumer you can jump up and down about the Mag.-Moss Warranty Act, but unless you have the money and time to go battle Chrysler in court, you are pretty much screwed.

As for the OP. Do us all a favor and don't even attempt insurance fraud. You did something stupid...you can pay the price for playing too hard. Based on your build I'm guessing you can afford to pay for your mistake.

Generally, I agree. Car issues are handled by arbitration (you sign away your right to trial when you buy a vehicle.....I know you know all this, posting mostly for others that might not.) In NJ, if I (car owner) take you (the dealer) to arbitration, the dealer must front ALL the costs associated with said arbitration. If you lose however, you will owe the money back....so, if you feel that you really got screwed with a legitimate case, I would fight. If it's something like the OPs case, I don't think I would risk it, as arbitration costs alone (assuming you are going to fight it yourself and not hire an attorney) will most likely exceed the motor cost.

The OP in this case double dipped into stupid land...1 is putting a CAI on a Jeep, which is equivalent to removing a bulletproof vest, and then smashed into a puddle, which is the equivalent of going into an ISIS gunfight after you removed the vest. Hopefully he learned, and next time, will either get a snorkel or leave well enough alone and not mess with the OEM intake.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Soapbox time. Sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. Unless you have coverage that includes off roading, making an insurance claim and being anything but completely honest about what happened is insurance fraud...and it is part of the reason that insurance costs so much in this country.

Either pay the extra money to find a policy that will cover your off road adventures, or accept the consequences and costs associated with how you choose to wheel. To me, this is no different than some asshat who injures his back screwing around on the weekend and then goes to work the following Monday and "takes a fall" so they can claim worker's compensation and disability.

Honesty and integrity start at home people...and if we can't exhibit those traits in our own personal lives, how the hell can we expect them out of our elected officials and corporate leaders?!?

Sorry, rant over.

I don't believe this constitutes as fraud brother, legally speaking. Some facts.....

1) If a roadway floods and blocks your way home, and you try and cross the flood, then hydrolock, is that fraud? Stupidity isn't fraud. You were driving a street legal vehicle, on a legal "road", which was insured, so insurance must cover your stupidity.

2) Many trails are considered public roads. The Rubicon for instance is a county road, as are many trails in Moab, Colorado, etc. Legally speaking, if you slam a rock on a rubicon and break an axle, it is no different than running over a dropped 2x6 on the highway and breaking the same axle. Generally speaking, insurance companies have clauses excluding things like racetracks, private offroad parks, etc, but "dirt roads" which are classified as roads...I'd think you have a real case here, and IMHO, it's technically not fraud. Fraud is when you try and deceive the insurance company. If the OP tells them "Im a dunce, I tried to cross a puddle and didn't realize how deep it is" I don't think they have a fraud leg to stand on. Just my .02

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't believe this constitutes as fraud brother, legally speaking. Some facts.....

1) If a roadway floods and blocks your way home, and you try and cross the flood, then hydrolock, is that fraud? Stupidity isn't fraud. You were driving a street legal vehicle, on a legal "road", which was insured, so insurance must cover your stupidity.

2) Many trails are considered public roads. The Rubicon for instance is a county road, as are many trails in Moab, Colorado, etc. Legally speaking, if you slam a rock on a rubicon and break an axle, it is no different than running over a dropped 2x6 on the highway and breaking the same axle. Generally speaking, insurance companies have clauses excluding things like racetracks, private offroad parks, etc, but "dirt roads" which are classified as roads...I'd think you have a real case here, and IMHO, it's technically not fraud. Fraud is when you try and deceive the insurance company. If the OP tells them "Im a dunce, I tried to cross a puddle and didn't realize how deep it is" I don't think they have a fraud leg to stand on. Just my .02

He said lying to insurance about what happened is fraud.

t8er

lying about what happened is fraud but depending on where you are if it's a public road you're covered for what happens. My buddy had that happen with his 4 runner out here on a trail and the entire front end went chevy on him. He thought he was screwed but talked to his insurance company and because the trail was considered a public road they paid for a new front end. However for the OP I realize cold air intakes can add power but growing up in Florida I learned how bad they are off road. regardless of how you end up fixing it I would recommend going back to a stock intake or a snorkel.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

A known standing puddle on the side of the freeway in Reno, Nevada is not a "public road". It's not even a trail.

He said lying to insurance about what happened is fraud.

^^ This. If you are truthful with your insurance company about what happened and the insurance company covers it, great, more power to you. I have zero issues with that. If you lie about the facts at all, that is fraud. It's as simple as that.

trailless

Caught the Bug

Sorry, rant over.

I agree with you completely. I didn't mean to go and lie about what happened. What I meant to say was, tell the truth and see what happens. The worst the insurance company would say is No.

Its not unheard of for an insurance company to call it an act of god and cover the claim. You never know if you don't try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My policy absolutely cover me offroad. Didn't even have to ask for it, it's standard. My understanding is if it's capable of going offroad then they already charge you a premium to account for offroad use.

I've seen insurance replace a 4 month old JK for hydro locking. Call and talk to them. If you can get the $$ use it for the hemi

You live in Canada...everything is covered.

MTG

Caught the Bug

A known standing puddle on the side of the freeway in Reno, Nevada is not a "public road". It's not even a trail.

When did this thread become a 1L debate? :idontknow:

I'm sure the only reason he has a Cai is because he has hydro assist and on the 2013's and up the stock air box won't fit with the psc canister. I'm in the same boat. I have to run a Cai because of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm sure the only reason he has a Cai is because he has hydro assist and on the 2013's and up the stock air box won't fit with the psc canister. I'm in the same boat. I have to run a Cai because of that.

You don't need the reservoir with the '12's and up. I'm sure it helps but it isn't totally necessary.

KrawlerJK

This is exactly why I have the intake!

I have smashed many a lifted vehicle through puddles and never had an issue so my bad for being a dumbass! But the upside is the hemi conversion... It is going to happen sooner than I thought but what the hell... Shit happens!

I spoke with my insurance company and apparently there are no exclusions for offroad use so I will most likely file a claim and see whats up. I can put all of your minds to rest that I'm not into committing fraud. If I'm stupid, I will accept responsibility unlike Obama (for the liberal pussys out there).

Pulled my intake and plugs and it was full of swamp water... Tried to turn the crank... Seized like a mother!

I knew I shoulda got that snorkel!!!

KrawlerJK

Oh yeah... One more thing...

I have a slightly used AFE Cold Air Intake for sale... $275

Only used once!!!
Baaahaaahaaa!!!

I have smashed many a lifted vehicle through puddles and never had an issue so my bad for being a dumbass! But the upside is the hemi conversion... It is going to happen sooner than I thought but what the hell... Shit happens

Yeah, I'm thinking this wouldn't fly so well with my Mrs and I'd likely find myself homeless and wireless.

jmatta33

I hydrolocked my rubi a couple years ago driving on dirt roads and slid into a huge puddle. got stuck and eventually pulled out but unfortunately my gas cap wasnt locked on all the way and my gas tank got flooded with water killing my engine. called the insurance company told them what happened and it was covered. now in my case I was going around and unintentionally slid in so it wasnt my intent to go swimming, but if you call them and tell them what happened and dont BS or make crap up, worst they can do is say no. best case they pay for repairs or total your vehicle.

RLTW!!!

bkac

Caught the Bug
I think you should do the hemi swap, get a snorkel, and try it again! You're going to have to defeat that water puddle now!
"Hey y'all hold my beer and watch this"
:beer::D

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom