I couldn't stay jeepless

Bierpower

Hooked
finally home on the computer

So I was headed in to work this morning with my 2 year old. her daycare was on a two hour delay but its a block from work so she was going to hang out with me for an hour or so. About half way to work a girl in a ford focus/fiesta (not sure which) comes rolling out from a side street square in front of me about 60 ft ahead. With the snow on the roads the brakes didn't do much and I hit her drivers door about 40 mph. She slid about 100 ft down the road and I went sliding over the median, through a street sign, and into the oncoming left turn lane. I got away with a bruised shin from the dash and the baby bit her tongue and got some seat belt marks on her neck but we are both OK. No airbags deployed but i noticed when they were putting the jeep on the tow truck that the steering wheel was bent over pretty good. The girl in the car had all of her airbags go off and they had to cut her out of the car but she walked away. In the end we all live to see another day so it could be worse.

As for the jeep:
-The front axle tube broke in half where the EVO track bar bracket U-bolt is.
-The passenger front frame is bent inboard about 3-4 inches I would say.
-The rear drive shaft separated. (Not sure what caused that)
-cooling fan motor was smashed around the water pump.
-the drivers fender made contact with the door/windshield bracket
-hood is buckled
-pass front flare is gone
-looks like the pass control arms may have bent.

the engine and trans seem to be OK. Radiator and grill are pushed back but no coolant flowing out. We'll see how everything goes with insurance and go from there. As of now the east meets west trip went from hopeful to probably not. Anybody interested in an LS? LOL

No way I'd go 44. If I end up getting to keep it, it's getting tons for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

[emoji869]My thoughts exactly with the tons.

Glad you’re all ok. I T-boned a lady who ran a red light last May. Her insurance paid for everything because it was her fault, but I was jeepless for quite a while. My frame had very minor bending that they were able to straighten but it sounds like yours may be too far gone...good luck

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

EDIT: My frame had a half inch sway on both rails from the front to the middle and they bent it back on a machine 1/16 of an inch at a time. The lady’s insurance estimator told me that they’ve bent back frame that were 10 inches out. If yours is that bad, don’t let them try to pull that garbage on you. There’s no coming back from a frame that bent. I don’t care what Geico says.

Last edited:

briand

Wow! Glad you are both ok! Take it easy for a few days, you may start feeling a few pains you didn’t when it first happened. Hope they can fix/replace your Jeep. Not a great way to start the morning

Elroy231

As stated previously, glad you and your kid are okay!!! Sorry about the jeep. Thoughts of replacement possibilities can entertain you while you relax a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry to hear that man. Don't be so sure they will write it off - Mine was bent up pretty badly but was fixed. It ended up having well over $10k damage.
Took them awhile to get it done but no issues since

Bierpower

Hooked
Did some more in depth inspecting of the Jeep and it doesn't look too bad. Just for the fun of it I took a butt load of pictures. Enjoy.

Front end and body:
IMG_20200218_121028.jpg
IMG_20200218_121102.jpg
IMG_20200218_121106.jpg
IMG_20200218_121114.jpg
Passenger side looks good
IMG_20200218_121131.jpg
Driver's side windshield and roof don't quite match the door right.

Axle and drivetrain:
Turns out the engine came forward more than the grill came back. That's what caused the cooling fan contact.
IMG_20200218_121213.jpg
IMG_20200218_121236.jpg
IMG_20200218_121155.jpg
IMG_20200218_121057.jpg
IMG_20200218_121202.jpg
IMG_20200218_121550.jpg
Bent engine mounts:
IMG_20200218_121634.jpg
IMG_20200218_121847.jpg
For reference this manifold in the top of the picture is pretty square to the engine. The mount is bent forward about 30-45°.
IMG_20200218_121734.jpg
Trans adapter lifted from the cross member and moved forward. Pretty sure that why the rear drive shaft came apart.

Lastly, Inside:
Apparently I got a good handfull of steering wheel because I almost bent it to the dash.
IMG_20200218_123638.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ughh, so sorry. I’m glad everyone was ok. Hope that can you patch it back together and slap a couple 1 tons under there for your. These thing can work out in your favor at times too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

Sorry to hear about that.

It is a good thing you and your daughter are ok.

Hopefully you can get some good out of this and end up with some 'tons to match that V-8.

Top Bottom