I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

USMC Wrangler

I bet it was. I've been told I can't stack spacers in the rear, otherwise I'd do that. I'd like the rear up just a tad more since I have the 3rd row and tow a trailer from time to time.

USMC Wrangler

I just remembered to check my front sway bar angle. Driver side is -5* and pass side is -10* (I'm using minus to demonstrate that the sway bar is angled down, lower than level, if that is the correct way to explain). I guess the two sides are different due to uneven ground???

USMC Wrangler

I was looking at the Tab and Slot bumpers on Ebay, but decided to chop the front bumper. I plan on using scrap plastic to cover the ends like this...

attachment.php

...attach with some JB Weld plastic, sand and flat black it.

(Photo credit goes to MonkeyLeo13 in the stubby bumper write-up thread, post #33)

USMC Wrangler

Of course! FedEx delivered my Amazon package to my office with sawzall blades and other items needed for my bumper chop...after I left. Now I'll have to wait a week or so... 😡😡😡

To do list before Hidden Falls run...

-Rear coil spacers
-Rear bumper removal and d-ring install
-Paint rear pinch seam?
-Paint muffler?
-4 LCA skids burned on and painted
-DIY rear frame cover?
-DIY front bumper chop
-Pull, paint, reinstall HR4x4 3rd row bar
-Rotate tires
-Both diffs almost due for oil change
-Body shop for hail damage repair

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

A couple more things are checked off of the list as of yesterday and I even got to hit some dirt for a little bit.

The joke that Chrysler calls a rear bumper was removed and EVO rear d-ring mounts and d-rings installed...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439377741.391079.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378097.827979.jpg

My wife couldn't understand why I did this until she picked up the "bumper". I have enough 1/4" steel scrap to make my own rear frame cover. I started making my high tech template for that project next week. I'm considering welding the cover onto the crossmember but also made some templates so it could bolt on under the d-rings. I'll decide on this later as I build it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378058.932957.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378360.020440.jpg

After garage clean up, the Mrs. and I hit a nearby dirt road for a short 15 mile shake-down. It's a maintained road but managed to find a small rock...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378523.534314.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378558.207464.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378594.548702.jpg

The EVO coils felt great off pavement and disconnected. It also seems to me to "look" more level now that the rear bumper is gone. I doubt it's the weight reduction because anyone that already knows it weighs next to nothing. The TF 3/4" rear spacer is still installed and my list continues. But it was a normal August day here...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378786.926083.jpg

The list now stands at...

-Rear coil spacers
-Rear bumper removal and d-ring install - DONE but may trim frame rails flush
-Paint rear pinch seam?
-Paint muffler?
-DIY rear frame cover? - Template started
-DIY front bumper chop
-Rotate tires

Last edited:

tharb5111

Looks great!! Glad you posted about the terrafex spacers. Man if I didn't instal mine the wrong way as well. My tf spacer in front is all compressed and mashed up between the spring and factory spring mount. Wow. Noticed to it has mad e the right spring sit at a funny angle. What about the rears? Which way do they go? Thanks man and your jeep looks great!

USMC Wrangler

Thanks! I'm not sure if the rear TF spacer is in wrong. I didn't watch that far into their install video. The EVO directions shows that their spacer goes directly on top of the spring in the rear. I still haven't swapped the rear spacers out to see if there is a difference. It's on the "to-do" list though.

tharb5111

Thanks! I'm not sure if the rear TF spacer is in wrong. I didn't watch that far into their install video. The EVO directions shows that their spacer goes directly on top of the spring in the rear. I still haven't swapped the rear spacers out to see if there is a difference. It's on the "to-do" list though.

Cool man. We both have been preparing for this trip the lists grow. I am installing cb today. Should be fun.

tharb5111

Yeah can't wait, but still have a lot to do.

Me too. That's the fun of it isn't it? Just Empty Every Pocket. Haha.

I'm trying to decide on tires. If you had any advice from your build experience in tires I could use the input. I'm looking at bfg km2s in either 285, 305, or 315s eventually and I'm stuck on which way to go.

Thanks man and bumper delete looks good btw. I don't see Any need fit fascia but that s the way I'm rolling too.

USMC Wrangler

Me too. That's the fun of it isn't it? Just Empty Every Pocket. Haha.

Ha ha, yes! Currently, pockets are indeed empty! :grayno:

I'm trying to decide on tires. If you had any advice from your build experience in tires I could use the input. I'm looking at bfg km2s in either 285, 305, or 315s eventually and I'm stuck on which way to go.

This is my first set of KM2's and I only have 3,000 miles on them. I have had BFG KO's in the past and liked them. They dry rotted before the tread was gone. I don't have experience with those sizes you mentioned except with a previous vehicle on 16" wheels, so I'm afraid I am not much help. I can tell you I did not go to 35's because I cannot pay cash for the gear swap it would require from my stock 3.21's or buy a full set of Rubi take off axles. So the next best thing were the KM2's or Cooper's in 255/80R17. It was a fine balance of getting a more aggressive tread, a little taller, without having to re-gear now, for a DD vehicle that I don't drive that much really (I have a take home vehicle supplied by my employer currently). I'm happy with the change because it allowed me to spend cash on the other upgrades I've done like the skids, c-gussets, leveling kit, etc. It made no sense to me to spend the money on 35's and gears without having that protection. I realize there are multiple opinions on this.

Thanks man and bumper delete looks good btw. I don't see Any need fit fascia but that s the way I'm rolling too.

Thanks, I do like the delete. Part of the reason I'm making it is I just like to do it and have the scrap metal at zero cost to me. The other part is that the kids get in from the back when using the 3rd row seat. Having a level step (which I am plan on adding a grip tape to the top) for them to step up with is important. I've already re-thought my plan and will post updated template pics when I get around to it.

Sorry for the long ramble...:rolleyes2:

tharb5111

Ha ha, yes! Currently, pockets are indeed empty! :grayno:

This is my first set of KM2's and I only have 3,000 miles on them. I have had BFG KO's in the past and liked them. They dry rotted before the tread was gone. I don't have experience with those sizes you mentioned except with a previous vehicle on 16" wheels, so I'm afraid I am not much help. I can tell you I did not go to 35's because I cannot pay cash for the gear swap it would require from my stock 3.21's or buy a full set of Rubi take off axles. So the next best thing were the KM2's or Cooper's in 255/80R17. It was a fine balance of getting a more aggressive tread, a little taller, without having to re-gear now, for a DD vehicle that I don't drive that much really (I have a take home vehicle supplied by my employer currently). I'm happy with the change because it allowed me to spend cash on the other upgrades I've done like the skids, c-gussets, leveling kit, etc. It made no sense to me to spend the money on 35's and gears without having that protection. I realize there are multiple opinions on this.

Thanks, I do like the delete. Part of the reason I'm making it is I just like to do it and have the scrap metal at zero cost to me. The other part is that the kids get in from the back when using the 3rd row seat. Having a level step (which I am plan on adding a grip tape to the top) for them to step up with is important. I've already re-thought my plan and will post updated template pics when I get around to it.

Sorry for the long ramble...:rolleyes2:

Thanks for the feedback on tires.
Appreciate it.

Wish I had your fabrication skills. Really cool. I can't wait to see what you pull off for the rear bumper step/fascia. I can see how important that would be for the kids to get in rear seat. Forgot about that.

Post pics please. Like following your build up.

Wish I had welding skills. I have to pay the shop to weld on my synergy axle reinforcement kit. C gussets, control arm skids, axle tube reinforcement costs a fraction of the Labor fees. Sucks but what can I do? Admire your skills man. Wish I had them. Would save me a ton in Labor.

USMC Wrangler

Glad to help with the tires, for what my experience was worth.

I've always been a hands on, fixer-o-things. I finally bit the bullet and bought my own welding machine. That "hobby" is as addictive as the Jeep...and my musical hobby.

USMC Wrangler

Well, the Jeep fund took a hit. One of our two family dogs had to have emergency surgery. Colt, our standard poodle who will be 2 on 9/11 swallowed a sock last week. He's a puppy and this wasn't the first time. He usually pukes it back up in a day. Well that didn't happen this time. It became lodged in his large intestine. It was an expensive hit, but worth it to me and the family. The vet did surgery Thursday and he's being monitored there until Monday. Seems like he is recovering well.

These are the only pictures I have handy. They are from April 2014 when he was pretty small still.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439641723.423479.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439641745.654926.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Pup seems to be doing ok. Still not completely himself, but he's not digging the "cone of shame" he's currently sporting.

BUT! I managed to make a small purchase of an item I was undecided on. The package is due to arrive today. Hopefully I can get everything installed and pics posted this weekend! :rock:

tharb5111

Pup seems to be doing ok. Still not completely himself, but he's not digging the "cone of shame" he's currently sporting.

BUT! I managed to make a small purchase of an item I was undecided on. The package is due to arrive today. Hopefully I can get everything installed and pics posted this weekend! :rock:

Glad pup is doing better. Good to hear indeed.

What did you order? Can't wait to see. I'm guessing spider shade?

Btw I had all sorts of trouble getting my cb tuned. Had my neighbor help. He works coms in atf and was navy Communications so if he couldn't get it tuned nobody could.

After lots of testing he found my ground plane point needed paint removed and he found the antenna mount bracket was not working. Installed a new one I had sitting around, scraped paint and bingo. Swr readings went from high red 3s to low 1s. Trail ready cb ready to go.

USMC Wrangler

Glad pup is doing better. Good to hear indeed.

What did you order? Can't wait to see. I'm guessing spider shade?

Btw I had all sorts of trouble getting my cb tuned. Had my neighbor help. He works coms in atf and was navy Communications so if he couldn't get it tuned nobody could.

After lots of testing he found my ground plane point needed paint removed and he found the antenna mount bracket was not working. Installed a new one I had sitting around, scraped paint and bingo. Swr readings went from high red 3s to low 1s. Trail ready cb ready to go.

Thanks! :thumb: Nope, not a spider shade. Keep guessing! :bleh:

I need to recheck my tuning. I have a meter and plenty of wide, open spaces to adjust it if need be. It was good when I installed it, but it's been a couple years since I've actually used it. My buddy I wheel with "locally" has two handheld radios we use. He doesn't have a CB and there is zero CB traffic around here to even monitor. Glad yours is squared away!

radleyhardy

Love the Jeep!

Look forward to seeing it in person on the upcoming trips. I've been running no rear as well. :thumb:

(EDIT) I like the D-Rings with no fascia looks, might "borrow" that idea. Also you reminded me I need to order my oilpan ProTek skid, had my other for almost 8 months installed.....WHOOPS

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Thanks, and can't wait to meet everyone and check out all the rigs too! :yup:

The rear w/o fascia is growing on me too. So, I may put the DIY rear frame cover on hold. :thinking: We'll see...

I do think I'll trim the frame rails flush though. The d-rings kinda hang up on the frame rails when extended straight out, at least on mine.

ITLL GO

A couple more things are checked off of the list as of yesterday and I even got to hit some dirt for a little bit.

The joke that Chrysler calls a rear bumper was removed and EVO rear d-ring mounts and d-rings installed...

View attachment 159595

View attachment 159597

My wife couldn't understand why I did this until she picked up the "bumper". I have enough 1/4" steel scrap to make my own rear frame cover. I started making my high tech template for that project next week. I'm considering welding the cover onto the crossmember but also made some templates so it could bolt on under the d-rings. I'll decide on this later as I build it.

View attachment 159596

View attachment 159598

After garage clean up, the Mrs. and I hit a nearby dirt road for a short 15 mile shake-down. It's a maintained road but managed to find a small rock...

View attachment 159599

View attachment 159600

View attachment 159601

The EVO coils felt great off pavement and disconnected. It also seems to me to "look" more level now that the rear bumper is gone. I doubt it's the weight reduction because anyone that already knows it weighs next to nothing. The TF 3/4" rear spacer is still installed and my list continues. But it was a normal August day here...

View attachment 159602

The list now stands at...

-Rear coil spacers
-Rear bumper removal and d-ring install - DONE but may trim frame rails flush
-Paint rear pinch seam?
-Paint muffler?
-DIY rear frame cover? - Template started
-DIY front bumper chop
-Rotate tires

Looks great! I got tricked into putting back my back bumper by the wife and rubbed pretty good while out on the trail. Now it's coming back off

Top Bottom