I suck at painting

JAGS

Hooked
If you get rattle cans with wide tipped nozzles it also helps. Many many light coats is better than two or three solid coats.

LasVegasJK

If you get rattle cans with wide tipped nozzles it also helps. Many many light coats is better than two or three solid coats.

Is the wide tipped nozzle something that's advertised on the can? Or is it brand specific?
I'm on coat #4. I remember reading that many thin was better than less # of thick coats.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

^^^ this

Nozzle makes one heck of a difference. I don't know how many cans I've thrown and asked why they made it the way the did. As for bugs and dirt flying around.. Just have to find a place with little air moving as possible when you spray and hope nothing lands in it then. What I've done while its drying is put a small fan near what I'm painting to help ward off pesky winged insects that feel like leaving there hand print and date in your work. But that's also hit or miss.

Bedliner is a bit harder to clean but easy to touch up.

Ddays

Hooked
Aw hell, just throw the damn things on and go scrape the shit outta them on some rocks - you won't notice the bugs anymore!

Byte

If anybody points it out and asks what's up, shrug and say, "it's a jeep. It's supposed to be like that." Besides, as others have already said a few knocks on the rocks and you'll have actual scrapes in the paint to focus on! Mall crawlers are for sissies. :bleh:

geberhard

Douchebag
Bedliner paint will suck on the rockers or corners, go with the suggestion about hammered black, pretty forgiving and wil be easy to touch up later on. I do all of my stuff with the Rustoleum Hammered and comes out pretty sweet and I ai't Picasso either ;)

Good prep on painting anything is also key!

I have done a few rigs on full rattle can and they came out pretty sweet, good tips provided above on how to also avoid getting zebra stripes.

almostthere.jpg

texture.jpg

1jonnaIMGP0392.jpg

Last edited:

LasVegasJK

So, I'm going to try a different finish. After sanding, should I clean it with denatured alcohol?, or just wipe it down with a damp towel?

Evil

You should also hit it with a tack cloth after clean so it pulls off any spider legs or nat ass before the next coat.

geberhard

Douchebag
X10000 better :0 hammered finish is the way to go. Some of teh Rustoleum hammered black give a bit of bronze or dark brown, but will bake towards black over time in the sun.

i.e. this can is a bit more towards black:

11006383_10153109182118011_2002249862557421106_n.jpg

10987623_10153109213913011_4540472872705441647_n.jpg

Looks very clean though and no more zebra stripes. If the weather gets better (supposed to rain), I will paint up my PSC corners this weekend and wil post up some pics.

Good job!

Top Bottom