I want 33's!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha thanks, the other thing thats a bit of an issue right now is the money. Im 17 with a part time job and dad sure as hell aint going to pay for 33's and it will take me stupid long to save up for them. Maybe later in life when I have a job

So look for a set of take offs or even used 32's off a JK Rubicon. Back in the day, that's what I used to do and with the advent of the internet, it's easier to do than ever before. You should be able to find something for cheap.

Renagade119

Hmmmm thats not a bad idea at all. I like the way you think. You think I could stuff em under a stock TJ? Also, do you happen to know the wheel size of them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmm thats not a bad idea at all. I like the way you think. You think I could stuff em under a stock TJ? Also, do you happen to know the wheel size of them?

No, you would need at least a 2" BB to clear them. The wheels you would need are 17"

Stock rubi wheels are 17 but you would need spacers as those are 5x5 and yours are 5x4.5.

Just look for a set of tires, they can be found that way a lot. You can run them with a basic set of 17" black steel wheels for about the cost of a set of spacers and they can be had in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

nyglt56

Oh dear god, this is starting to be too much :crazyeyes: hahaha for now I think Ill just stick with stock ride height but eventually I may work my way up to 33's. I dont got the need nor the budget for all this.... Which is a bummer

If you want stock height you can always go to metal cloak, 33s no lift. No issues other than clearance, which you can build up to over time. But if you're going to DD it most of the time I wouldn't even worry about it, also of down the road you decide to lift it, you can.

Renagade119

If you want stock height you can always go to metal cloak, 33s no lift. No issues other than clearance, which you can build up to over time. But if you're going to DD it most of the time I wouldn't even worry about it, also of down the road you decide to lift it, you can.

You think I could stuff 33's under her without a lift? Id probably need spacers or adjust the steering stops right?

sm31

I'm sorry... I hate to play "devil's advocate", but I would still be very concerned with a 2" lift and 33's (on a *TJ*), and double-especially with no lift. With enough bumpstop to prevent rubbing, the stops would get a pounding even during some normal on-road conditions.

Case in point: Here is a poser/flex shot of my jeep on 33's with 3.75" lift (2.5 suspension & 1.25 body) and 2" bumpstop extensions. I also trimmed an inch off the stock flares. As you can see, no rubbing... but just barely. Also, with a mere half inch more bumpstop clearance than stock, I can still feel them hit regularly. BTW, I don't go in for the really hard trails. I just want a "capable" rig.

Attachments

• compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 84

Renagade119

I'm sorry... I hate to play "devil's advocate", but I would still be very concerned with a 2" lift and 33's (on a *TJ*), and double-especially with no lift. With enough bumpstop to prevent rubbing, the stops would get a pounding even during some normal on-road conditions.

Case in point: Here is a poser/flex shot of my jeep on 33's with 3.75" lift (2.5 suspension & 1.25 body) and 2" bumpstop extensions. I also trimmed an inch off the stock flares. As you can see, no rubbing... but just barely. Also, with a mere half inch more bumpstop clearance than stock, I can still feel them hit regularly. BTW, I don't go in for the really hard trails. I just want a "capable" rig.

THANK YOU!!! That is EXACTLY the term that I was trying to think of!! Capable rig is what I want, I dont do nearly enough wheeling to say I want it because I need it. Hell I dont even go out once a month, I dont have any time! I just want to know that if I need to get from point A to point B, Ill be able to.

sm31

Cool! :cool:

I just want to clarify though (and I haven't read the rest of the thread very close so someone else may have stated this as well)... I'm not claiming a 2" lift won't work with 33's. I just want to stress that I believe it is *far* from preferable. If you are in desperate need of tires & have 33's on your radar... but may want to delay the lift by a month or 2, then IMO that would be fine.

MRDON

I started with a 2" spring lift and 31's, tires hit flares on severe terrain. Put 33's on and let the tires trim the flares. Just put in a 4" lift with 1" body lift and can still get tires to rub flares. Flares are soon to be history.

NaisaMike

People were posting about putting JK Rubicon wheels on a TJ if you are on a budget. That's what I did to my TJ with no lift. IF you plan to do this set up, a well known brand for adapters is SpiderTrax, they make a 1.25" adapter for 5x4.5" to 5x5". The only modification you need to do is add a washer to the steering bolt stop so you won't rub at full turn. Stock JK tires are almost 32" so I haven't any problems rubbing on the fenders for daily driving, the only time I heard the fenders rub was when I entered a steep driveway faster than I should've. So if you're looking for a more-aggressive-than-stock "A to B" set up, I would say it's a good route. Here is a pick of my TJ with this set up, except I went with a no-brand 1.5" adapter.

472191_3694451690018_262248970_o_zps47f93184.jpg

And they're right about needing to extend your bump stops if you plan to use the 2" spring spacer to prevent your shocks from bottoming out. I am in the market for a lift myself, and need to look into this SYE people are posting about.

Oh and if you're planning on running 33" tires, you'll also want to re-gear your axles to preserve your gas mileage.

Last edited:

lovethetrails5

I'm on a 3 in lift with 33 12.5 and flat fenders so I'm all good I have no sye and have no vibs all tho I do plan to get one I am in no rush for it hers some pics happy to answer any questions

ForumRunner_20130212_205714.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_205723.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_205733.png

ForumRunner_20130212_205803.jpg

ForumRunner_20130212_205824.jpg

Top Bottom