I'm calling you out Eddie and Cindy

Sharkey

Word Ninja
:cheesy: Awesome thread. If nothing else, you've certainly have gotten Cindy and I talking about it. While gas is a limiting factor, the biggest hurdle will be the need to cross as little pavement as possible. On our California or Bust trip, we tried really hard to make our way on as much dirt as possible and in spite of what self-proclaimed overlanders out there seem to think, that's really really hard to do here in America.

That being said, I'm giving this some thought now. The real question is, would you be joining us? :crazyeyes:

Man that would be fun. I just never know with my work schedule but with some planning I might be able to make a five day trip possible.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you are looking for lack of pavement, might I recommend South America. It sounds crazy, until you look at how cool it would be to drive from Nevada to the Cape Horn and back. You could even look into sponsorship, a lot like Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round). That was a really fun adventure. The beauty of it is, you guys could film the whole thing yourselves and possible look into a TV deal. I think you both could VERY easily sell a network or a production company with your existing material.

You could even have Moby Dick shipped back in a container and just fly back, a one way trip. Have Trail Bud travel with you guys for back up. THAT would be EPIC.

The whole "driving through Mexico" thing is not super high on my list. ;) I'd need to at least double my life insurance for my family's benefit.

GraniteCrystal

For anyone doing this, might be able to have wayalifers meet you on the trail along the way for gas and other supplies so there's truly no pavement

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Man that would be fun. I just never know with my work schedule but with some planning I might be able to make a five day trip possible.

The whole "driving through Mexico" thing is not super high on my list. ;) I'd need to at least double my life insurance for my family's benefit.

I also would be game, but if we are talking South America, then it would be a winter trip for us. How about we drive with Eddie, Cindy and Doug until the Border?

The only other idea I thought up last night was to have it be some form of Tour. Eddy and Cindy and others could drive in a very large circle, meeting Wayalife members along the way, who could assist them with gas/food/provisions at pavement crossing points. It would be like when people hike the Pacific Crest Trail and get help from people who live on/near the trail. The hikers call it "trail magic". It would be an epic off road run in which the entire Wayalife community gets involved.

There's not much public land in the Midwest. Everything is personal property and pretty sure those farmers wouldn't think kindly of me driving thru their fields and fences. If we're saying gravel roads don't count as paved than we have lots of that but that would be pretty boring.

Moochie

There's not much public land in the Midwest. Everything is personal property and pretty sure those farmers wouldn't think kindly of me driving thru their fields and fences. If we're saying gravel roads don't count as paved than we have lots of that but that would be pretty boring.

Don't be driving on their grass. Lol!

troy-bilt

Logged just over 2200 miles off pavement from Colorado to Oregon just this past summer.

Would be all over joining on this adventure if it came together.

GraniteCrystal

Logged just over 2200 miles off pavement from Colorado to Oregon just this past summer.

Would be all over joining on this adventure if it came together.

Can you throw up a route map? I'd be really curious to see where you went. And how long did it take to complete?

troy-bilt

Can you throw up a route map? I'd be really curious to see where you went. And how long did it take to complete?

I certainly can once I'm in front of my computer. I can tell you a quick google search will yield you the basis of my route.

Lots of this...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454973869.083614.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I believe you can drive from a certain point in Utah, all the way deep into arizona without touching pavement...around 700 miles of dirt.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well...damn close. I believe around 150 - 200 miles. Most of those to veer off track for a attraction or supplies.

Sounds like a fun trip but in reality, anyone can do that. As Sharkey, the OP proposed, "who can drive through the greatest number of states, for the most miles, without touching pavement."

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you can drive from a certain point in Utah, all the way deep into arizona without touching pavement...around 700 miles of dirt.

First off, that would only be 2 states and second, I'd like to see proof of that. The Vegas to Reno race is over 500 miles long and hard as they try not to do it, the racers still have to cross pavement twice.

troy-bilt

Sounds like a fun trip but in reality, anyone can do that. As Sharkey, the OP proposed, "who can drive through the greatest number of states, for the most miles, without touching pavement."

Challenge indeed.

Love mapping and need a project. The western US is definitely most conducive from a miles perspective. If you put something together I'd love to partake or even collaborate.

Top Bottom