Input for C2 Front Axle Reinforcement Gussets

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
saw this somewhere else, i was thinking about going with the c2 guessets, but i am worried about rust inside of them after install and since i live in pa and they love to use salt in winter....would the teraflex design possibly be better since the whole thing could be painted?

Out here in SoCal, salt and rust aren't things we ever give much thought to. Being that most of the axle C solutions out there do pretty much the same thing, I think you'd know best as to what solution would work best for you.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Anyone can weld on a set of C2 Gussets but, not everyone can do it without frying your ball joints - a common reason why so many people get death wobble. Welding alone should cost about $250-$300 and any special work required to mitigate damage to the ball joints would be extra. To me, the quote seems reasonable but, you might be able to get them done for a bit less. Regardless of who you have weld on your gussets, I would make sure they understand the problems at hand before they start burning things in.

I am not knocking the price of $330.00. I know EVO, is the best. I am just trying to save money for other mod's and was hoping to do the gussets myself. Or am I best off saying with 33" until I am able to build better! I was going to do 2" lift, 35" tires for now or just go 33". I don't think I will be doing the hard core trail for a while. I would like to do trail like the one's you have done like Bailey's Cabin, trails like that and some of the other run's you do. What do you think, your input is much appreciated. Your the kind of off road! :rock:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am not knocking the price of $330.00. I know EVO, is the best. I am just trying to save money for other mod's and was hoping to do the gussets myself. Or am I best off saying with 33" until I am able to build better! I was going to do 2" lift, 35" tires for now or do 33". I don't think I will be doing the hard core trail for a while. I would like to do trail like the one's you have done like Bailey's Cabin, thinks like that and some of the other run's you do. What do you think, your input is much appreciated. Your the kind of off road! :rock:

Don't let something like this keep you from running 35's. It's a great size to run and one that'll keep you happy for a very long time. If you go 33's now, you'll for sure want to upgrade sooner than later.

If you can do the welding yourself, I say do it but, make sure you either pull your ball joints just in case.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Don't let something like this keep you from running 35's. It's a great size to run and one that'll keep you happy for a very long time. If you go 33's now, you'll for sure want to upgrade sooner than later.

If you can do the welding yourself, I say do it but, make sure you either pull your ball joints just in case.

OK, Cool. Thank you for all your help!! :thumb:

1yellowjk

It's a perfect time to replace the ball joints with something better than the plastic crud that Jeep throw on there. From what I have heard the stock ball joints will melt quite easily.

Gibbo

It's a perfect time to replace the ball joints with something better than the plastic crud that Jeep throw on there. From what I have heard the stock ball joints will melt quite easily.
Are you for real? Are the stock ball joints made of plastic? I'm going to weld my gussets on next weekend. I don't yet have the tools required to pull the ball joints out, so I'm going to do it little by little, I don't care if it takes me 2 days. Do you think I'm heading for trouble, and should wait till I have the tools? I just want to get it done before I put 35's on next month.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm still still running the "plastic crud" after 21000 miles. 17000 are post c gussets which were welded with that crud in place. 😨

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you for real? Are the stock ball joints made of plastic? I'm going to weld my gussets on next weekend. I don't yet have the tools required to pull the ball joints out, so I'm going to do it little by little, I don't care if it takes me 2 days. Do you think I'm heading for trouble, and should wait till I have the tools? I just want to get it done before I put 35's on next month.

There are plastic components inside the joints and they "can" melt if you let things get too hot. If you do little at a time and make sure to throw a sopping wet rag on the joint between welds, you should be okay.

I'm still still running the "plastic crud" after 21000 miles. 17000 are post c gussets which were welded with that crud in place. 

Clearly, who ever welded on your gussetts knew what they were doing :yup:

gtony12

Caught the Bug

I am going to do the same, 1/4" weld stop cool do one other side come back repeat process.

1yellowjk

I'm still still running the "plastic crud" after 21000 miles. 17000 are post c gussets which were welded with that crud in place. 

I wouldn't chance it, but that's me. IMO if you're going to take the time to do it right, you might as well pop the stock BJ's out, get a good solid weld on those gussets and then throw in some HQ ball joints, but that's just me. :)

It's an extra $225-$250 well spent in an area that gets a lot of abuse and stress with big tires.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't chance it, but that's me. IMO if you're going to take the time to do it right, you might as well pop the stock BJ's out, get a good solid weld on those gussets and then throw in some HQ ball joints, but that's just me. :)

It's an extra $225-$250 well spent in an area that gets a lot of abuse and stress with big tires.

Great advice if you can do all the work yourself. However many on here, myself included, do not. Thus the cost is likely significantly more than $250. 👍

Top Bottom