Installed new hi lift mount on hood now can't use windshield washers

shortyokc

I never used a hi-lift, but I do have a 12-ton bottle jack. I love that thing. It is so easy to lift pretty much any part of the Jeep. People gave me shit for getting what they called "overkill" with the 12-ton rating, but I was affirmed from a friend of mine who is a heavy mechanic.

To make it even safer, I would recommend the Safe Jack accessories. I was able to help out Trailbud on the Rubicon with the bottle jack and the accessories and they performed well, even with his 40 inch tires. Of course, I have used that jack and accessories many times.
I'm a heavy equipment tech so I'm all overkill everything. I'll look into the safe jack accessories

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmatta33

Like I said, without strapping the axle to the frame, you have to lift your Jeep to kingdom come to get the suspension to completely unload and get the tire off the ground. By that time, your Hi-Lift is stupid high and can be dangerously unstable especially if you have to wiggle the tire around. I see guys do this all the time and it really is a wonder how more people aren't seriously hurt or worse because of it. To me, it's just plain stupid especially when more times than not, a bottle jack could have done the job faster and safer. There have definitely been times where a Hi-Lift could have been a big help to me but never just to change a tire.

This is something I wanted to educate myself on, is there a thread or sticky on appropriate recovery techniques? I think for new guys this would be very helpful to prevent injuries and damaging vehicles. I'll be honest I haven't searched so if there is something out there already, my bad for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I never used a hi-lift, but I do have a 12-ton bottle jack. I love that thing. It is so easy to lift pretty much any part of the Jeep. People gave me shit for getting what they called "overkill" with the 12-ton rating, but I was affirmed from a friend of mine who is a heavy mechanic.

To make it even safer, I would recommend the Safe Jack accessories. I was able to help out Trailbud on the Rubicon with the bottle jack and the accessories and they performed well, even with his 40 inch tires. Of course, I have used that jack and accessories many times.

Overkill will never leave you stranded. I want to purchase the safe jack as well.

Traveling in reverse going 60mph then impacting is the only way it's gonna hit you in the face. Going forward with a sudden stop it's going to move forward, towards the other vehicle/object hence air bags. If it just loosens up on the freeway I don't see it being able to go through a windshield.

Yep.

geberhard

Douchebag
Agreed with Eddie's comment. I have seen plenty people getting injured from getting smackd to almost losing an eye. It is a tool that I do not recommend for anyone to learn how to use on the trail. There are plenty opf greta videos showing how to properly use them and also several showing accidents online. Most of all, try using it at home before learning on the trail.. and never have your face or head above the handle!!

manual and video here:
http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/instruction-manual.html

what not to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Hwm0ei1UM

Stotch

Caught the Bug
30lbs of metal mounted on sh!t mounts on a couple of meh bolts coming at you at 60mph lol.....not something I'd want to get smacked in the face with.

Wouldn't momentum carry the 'heavy' jack forward in case of an accident? The jack will be traveling in the same direction and the same speed as the Jeep (and you for that matter). Unless you're going 60 mph in reverse...

It does seem like it would be a danger to your paint though getting it on and off. I mount mine between the roll bars in the back just because I don't want the jack to be out in the elements. That, and I still wanted wiper fluid to work (Just to stay on topic... kinda) ;)

Traveling in reverse going 60mph then impacting is the only way it's gonna hit you in the face. Going forward with a sudden stop it's going to move forward, towards the other vehicle/object hence air bags. If it just loosens up on the freeway I don't see it being able to go through a windshield.

Yeah, that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom