Installed new hi lift mount on hood now can't use windshield washers

Coop

Caught the Bug
Other than making the mistake to use it to change a tire, when was the last time you actually needed to use your Hi-Lift out on the trail? Or, were you just wanting it up on your hood because you think it looks cool and really, there's nothing wrong with that.

I carry three jacks, the original equip. scissor jack, a bottle jack and the Hi-Lift. Always try to make the safest choice. In the last year, I've wheeled on fairly serious outings, 10 times and made the mistake of changing a tire with the Hi-Lift 4 times, once for me and three for my mates. Guess you can't fix stupid. Anyway, these tire incidents have always been rolled beads off the rims. In the eastern states we have a lot of rock, but we have a lot of deeply rutted clay and this seems to be the place we get the rolled beads. We look at the jacking options to get the tire off the ground for re-inflation or changing. I offer the Hi-Lift wide base plate for the bottle jacks or the Hi-Lift jack to my wheeling mates, and ignore all the negative comments and remarks. Sometimes the ruts are so deep the axles are buried in the clay so there is just no room to use the bottle jack to raise the axle. We look at other options, but at least on 4 occasions, we had no other clear choice. So out came my Hi-Lift. Everyone cleared out like I had a rusty steel winch cable. I figure from the distance everyone cleared, the blast radius must be about 25 feet for a Hi-Lift. With some planning for the angle and footing, we got'er done. I have a chain and hook for the Hi-Lift for metal bumpers that grips pretty good. Even after the Hi-Lift success, everyone is still bitching about the danger, and I'll admit I am cautious as hell when I use it. But it's just a tool, and it does work. I don't carry it around when I'm not wheeling, makes too much rattling noise and it's too hard to keep clean and lubed. When I do carry it, it's bolted to my LoD tire carrier.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Only 30 pounds. That's nothin.

30lbs of metal mounted on sh!t mounts on a couple of meh bolts coming at you at 60mph lol.....not something I'd want to get smacked in the face with. Of all places you can mount a hilift on a jk, I can't imagine a worse location. Just my .02 of course.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
30lbs of metal mounted on sh!t mounts on a couple of meh bolts coming at you at 60mph lol.....not something I'd want to get smacked in the face with. Of all places you can mount a hilift on a jk, I can't imagine a worse location. Just my .02 of course.

So don't buy shit mounts with meh bolts and mount it to the hood. In a 60 mph wreck that's gonna be the least of your worries.

geberhard

Douchebag
View attachment 227483
attachment.php

Always this option. [emoji41]
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WTF??? Do not mean to offend, but..really?

kferrarini

I have the Jack mounted on my hood. One thing you can do is stack some washers to raise the jack on the mounts a bit. Also depending on what mount you have, the position of the Jack makes a difference. With mine, I'll get some spray on the windshield if the Jack handle faces outward towards the headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app View attachment 227362

^^This. I had switched mine around, with the handle towards windshield, don't remember why...but had to switch it back due to the issue you are having. The handle was blocking the spray because it extends out horizontally.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I carry three jacks, the original equip. scissor jack, a bottle jack and the Hi-Lift. Always try to make the safest choice. In the last year, I've wheeled on fairly serious outings, 10 times and made the mistake of changing a tire with the Hi-Lift 4 times, once for me and three for my mates. Guess you can't fix stupid. Anyway, these tire incidents have always been rolled beads off the rims. In the eastern states we have a lot of rock, but we have a lot of deeply rutted clay and this seems to be the place we get the rolled beads. We look at the jacking options to get the tire off the ground for re-inflation or changing. I offer the Hi-Lift wide base plate for the bottle jacks or the Hi-Lift jack to my wheeling mates, and ignore all the negative comments and remarks. Sometimes the ruts are so deep the axles are buried in the clay so there is just no room to use the bottle jack to raise the axle. We look at other options, but at least on 4 occasions, we had no other clear choice. So out came my Hi-Lift. Everyone cleared out like I had a rusty steel winch cable. I figure from the distance everyone cleared, the blast radius must be about 25 feet for a Hi-Lift. With some planning for the angle and footing, we got'er done. I have a chain and hook for the Hi-Lift for metal bumpers that grips pretty good. Even after the Hi-Lift success, everyone is still bitching about the danger, and I'll admit I am cautious as hell when I use it. But it's just a tool, and it does work. I don't carry it around when I'm not wheeling, makes too much rattling noise and it's too hard to keep clean and lubed. When I do carry it, it's bolted to my LoD tire carrier.

Never said it couldn't be done, just that most people break it out to change a tire when other means would do it better, faster and safer. Of course, when people do use it, they typically use it wrong. They jack and jack and jack way up into the air because the suspension has to unload before the tire comes off the ground and that leaves them with a teetery jack. So it isn't missed, I own 2 Hi-Lift jacks (used to have 4) and used to carry them with me all the time. They are good tools to have especially if you know when to use them and how to use them properly. Over the last 5 or so years, I have found that I simply prefer not to use them and stopped carrying them altogether. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

shortyokc

I use my hi-lift for pulling fence posts other than that I carry a 12 ton bottle jack. It rattled and made too much noise, drove me nuts. It also dripped rust everwhere when it rained

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I use my hi-lift for pulling fence posts other than that I carry a 12 ton bottle jack. It rattled and made too much noise, drove me nuts. It also dripped rust everwhere when it rained

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I never used a hi-lift, but I do have a 12-ton bottle jack. I love that thing. It is so easy to lift pretty much any part of the Jeep. People gave me shit for getting what they called "overkill" with the 12-ton rating, but I was affirmed from a friend of mine who is a heavy mechanic.

To make it even safer, I would recommend the Safe Jack accessories. I was able to help out Trailbud on the Rubicon with the bottle jack and the accessories and they performed well, even with his 40 inch tires. Of course, I have used that jack and accessories many times.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Never said it couldn't be done, just that most people break it out to change a tire when other means would do it better, faster and safer. Of course, when people do use it, they typically use it wrong. They jack and jack and jack way up into the air because the suspension has to unload before the tire comes off the ground and that leaves them with a teetery jack. So it isn't missed, I own 2 Hi-Lift jacks (used to have 4) and used to carry them with me all the time. They are good tools to have especially if you know when to use them and how to use them properly. Over the last 5 or so years, I have found that I simply prefer not to use them and stopped carrying them altogether. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

All excellent points which I agree with Eddie. Due to the deep rutted clay stretches of our trails I'll continue to carry the Hi-Lift. Just have to use good judgement. Helping my trail mates as you do, and you do so much more, makes for enjoyable wheeling and great campfire stories! Truely a Wayalife!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All excellent points which I agree with Eddie. Due to the deep rutted clay stretches of our trails I'll continue to carry the Hi-Lift. Just have to use good judgement. Helping my trail mates as you do, and you do so much more, makes for enjoyable wheeling and great campfire stories! Truely a Wayalife!

The only wheeling I've done out in your neck of the woods like that is Redbird down in Indiana. Out there, I might want a Hi-Lift too but I carry a chain so that I can strap my axle to the frame and reduce the amount of lifting needed to get the tire off the ground. Without that, a Hi-Lift is still pretty useless to change out a tire and can be quite dangerous. Just my 2¢

Jackal01

So don't buy shit mounts with meh bolts and mount it to the hood. In a 60 mph wreck that's gonna be the least of your worries.
Traveling in reverse going 60mph then impacting is the only way it's gonna hit you in the face. Going forward with a sudden stop it's going to move forward, towards the other vehicle/object hence air bags. If it just loosens up on the freeway I don't see it being able to go through a windshield.

Coop

Caught the Bug
The only wheeling I've done out in your neck of the woods like that is Redbird down in Indiana. Out there, I might want a Hi-Lift too but I carry a chain so that I can strap my axle to the frame and reduce the amount of lifting needed to get the tire off the ground. Without that, a Hi-Lift is still pretty useless to change out a tire and can be quite dangerous. Just my 2¢

That is a great idea! Adding a chain and bolts to my gear! Thanks!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is a great idea! Adding a chain and bolts to my gear! Thanks!!

Like I said, without strapping the axle to the frame, you have to lift your Jeep to kingdom come to get the suspension to completely unload and get the tire off the ground. By that time, your Hi-Lift is stupid high and can be dangerously unstable especially if you have to wiggle the tire around. I see guys do this all the time and it really is a wonder how more people aren't seriously hurt or worse because of it. To me, it's just plain stupid especially when more times than not, a bottle jack could have done the job faster and safer. There have definitely been times where a Hi-Lift could have been a big help to me but never just to change a tire.

Top Bottom