Installing Evo Long Arm Upgrade

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I got some flex exhaust pipe to clamp it all together, then took it to someone

Exactly my plan, I had brought flex pipe with me as my backup plan originally, just unfortionately had to utilize it. I have the loop in the back of the jeep

iRonin

Dang man sorry I'm late to the party; just noticed this thread. Looks like it's coming together. On the gas tank: You may need to shoehorn it in after you weld on the rear bracket. I tried to raise it straight up/in and it wouldn't go. Raise the tank frame-side first up over the new bracket, then raise the rest up. Also, make sure you're using all the correct size bolts everywhere - mainly dealing with the UCA brackets and the CAs themselves... there are two larger/longer bolt sizes that are easy to confuse (especially when you're tired lol)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Dang man sorry I'm late to the party; just noticed this thread. Looks like it's coming together. On the gas tank: You may need to shoehorn it in after you weld on the rear bracket. I tried to raise it straight up/in and it wouldn't go. Raise the tank frame-side first up over the new bracket, then raise the rest up. Also, make sure you're using all the correct size bolts everywhere - mainly dealing with the UCA brackets and the CAs themselves... there are two larger/longer bolt sizes that are easy to confuse (especially when you're tired lol)

Yeah, I'm a little worried about the washers too, as the two sizes are so close to each other. :doh: Should be working on the rear this weekend; I cant believe I ended up dropping the fuel tank last weekend and NEVER even touched the rear... I guess practice makes perfect? lol

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Tomorrow I'll be doing the rear arms.

I do have a few concerns regarding "squaring up the axles" with adjustable control arms, is this something I should worry about? Or just set pinion angle? I followed the Evo directions for the front arms, but as both upper and lower arms are adjustable, how do I make sure the axles are square as a sanity check? This isn't covered in the DIY alignment thread

Tree Frog

Without a four wheel alignment machine there is no real way to dial in that I knew of..SO

Promise you wont laugh. What I did was to take some 1 X 1 square tubing and use some 6 foot long sticks of it I had in the shop. Strapped them to the outside of the rear tires and let them run down alongside the Jeep.

As the JK sort of bulges out in the middle (like me) and then is pinched tighter in the front end, it can be real fun to tell much, but you get the picture.
Also don't be mislead by the fact that as you go up in height, your axel will stick out more to one side.
What you are looking for in this Hillbilly example is to see if the tubes are kicked one way or the other.
I did not need to dial it in much of at all. Just made sure all arms were the same side to side and set your rear pinion pointing up in line with the driveshaft.

This tube strapped to the tire also worked good in the front to get me in the ballpark. I still had the ESC come on and freaked out over that. Thanks to the help of Overlander and some others on here it was a short lived deal once I got the steering wheel strait it went off in about 1/4 mile.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Without a four wheel alignment machine there is no real way to dial in that I knew of..SO

Promise you wont laugh. What I did was to take some 1 X 1 square tubing and use some 6 foot long sticks of it I had in the shop. Strapped them to the outside of the rear tires and let them run down alongside the Jeep.

As the JK sort of bulges out in the middle (like me) and then is pinched tighter in the front end, it can be real fun to tell much, but you get the picture.
Also don't be mislead by the fact that as you go up in height, your axel will stick out more to one side.
What you are looking for in this Hillbilly example is to see if the tubes are kicked one way or the other.
I did not need to dial it in much of at all. Just made sure all arms were the same side to side and set your rear pinion pointing up in line with the driveshaft.

This tube strapped to the tire also worked good in the front to get me in the ballpark. I still had the ESC come on and freaked out over that. Thanks to the help of Overlander and some others on here it was a short lived deal once I got the steering wheel strait it went off in about 1/4 mile.

So what your saying is pay for a 4 wheel alignment this one time? Lol

P.s. long arms are done. No abs/tc lights (yet) and everything is welded in place. Only thing left to do at this point in install the springs, shocks, Drag link flip (waiting on a drill bit from amazon) and front & rear track bars. Might throw a local area Wayalife Wrench Party...

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Need some help with the track bar bracket on the front... here's a pic of what I have, I think I'm missing the "rearward" piece

Attachments

• 1450557059089.jpg
    1450557059089.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 294

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Which way does the rear bumpstop go?

Attachments

• 1450566373904.jpg
    1450566373904.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 1450566383748.jpg
    1450566383748.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 333

Tree Frog

I believe it was Saddle Tramp that showed them angled forward. I have mine set up that way. Yeah just reread directions and it does not state a direction. Not a whole lot of difference anyway.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, I went with towards the front

Does anyone know what the front track bar bracket (the one I'm missing) is called?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Called NR about an hour ago, they took my info and said I should get a call from EVO to confirm my missing parts. :thumb: I hope they will ship them out fast, and it will arrive before my holiday vacation runs out so I can get the jeep out of the garage...

Thanks everyone following this thread and keeping me sane. haha

EDIT: I THINK what I'm missing is:
Rearward Bracket JK Front Track Bar Bracket - EVO - 11042B
Driverside Sway Bar Link Bracket - EVO - 11044B

Edit EDIT:
EVO parts on the way

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Called NR about an hour ago, they took my info and said I should get a call from EVO to confirm my missing parts. :thumb: I hope they will ship them out fast, and it will arrive before my holiday vacation runs out so I can get the jeep out of the garage...

Thanks everyone following this thread and keeping me sane. haha

EDIT: I THINK what I'm missing is:
Rearward Bracket JK Front Track Bar Bracket - EVO - 11042B
Driverside Sway Bar Link Bracket - EVO - 11044B

Edit EDIT:
EVO parts on the way

I know you couldn't finish the DL flip but how did everything else go?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I know you couldn't finish the DL flip but how did everything else go?

Smooth as butter. Only thing left to do is finish up the high steer (track bar correction and DragLink Flip *Drill Hole*), break down the stock tires for the TPMS, install the TPMS into my slabs, and mount my toyos on them...:thumb: The Missing EVO parts should be here Christmas Eve, I'll probably finish up the High Steer Monday or Tuesday next week, then start figuring out how I'm going to break the beads on the stock wheels&tires while the jeep is in the shop getting the exhaust loop welded back in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom