Is it worth it?

I went SPORT on purpose... whatever the Rubicon had to offer, I was either going to upgrade or not need.
There are things I wish I had, the fancy navigation is one.... but knowing what I was going to do to the JK from the get go, no brainer to get a SPORT.

DSC05897_zpsb57fd738.jpg

I personally would build your sport. That is what I did with mine. I thought hard about the Rubi, but in the end the only thing I would keep is the transfer case. I added an aftermarket nav, will be upgrading to a PR44 as soon as it is paid off, and can buy a used 4:1 transfer case if I feel the need. If you plan on going with 35's or bigger you are going to regear anyway. You can add a rear ARB locker for $1100. In the end, you can buy and then build a more capable sport for the cost of a Rubicon IMO.

Good point about the t-case too. I just grabbed one for $800 bucks. I will need a new Pro-Cal though. I can sell mine for $125 and be into a new one $30ISH dollars. I don't have "front dig" but meh....

I personally would build your sport. That is what I did with mine. I thought hard about the Rubi, but in the end the only thing I would keep is the transfer case. I added an aftermarket nav, will be upgrading to a PR44 as soon as it is paid off, and can buy a used 4:1 transfer case if I feel the need. If you plan on going with 35's or bigger you are going to regear anyway. You can add a rear ARB locker for $1100. In the end, you can buy and then build a more capable sport for the cost of a Rubicon IMO.

Good point about the t-case too. I just grabbed one for $800 bucks. I will need a new Pro-Cal though. I can sell mine for $125 and be into a new one $30ISH dollars. I don't have "front dig" but meh....

You should keep me posted on how the swap goes and if you feel it is worth the expense/effort. I have heard some really good things about the 4:1, but have never had the pleasure of trying it on a trail.

Will do, under my other "stage name" Rancho I have a thread build entitled Moab or Bust, this swap is happening ASAP. I am getting a steering up grade and the shop does a lot of swaps had this out of a 2013 with 30 miles on it...
:beer:
You should keep me posted on how the swap goes and if you feel it is worth the expense/effort. I have heard some really good things about the 4:1, but have never had the pleasure of trying it on a trail.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Buy a ProRock44.

Do an ARB and 35 splines in your rear.

Run one step shorter gears than you would if it were a a rubi (to help make up for the transfer case).

Either buy a broken rubi sway bar and the no limits or get some quick discos.

That route will net you better axles than the rubi for less than the price difference and you won't pay interest on the parts. As long as you aren't running over 37s or blasting through the dessert this setup will be just fine for you.

If you ARE running over 37s or planning on blasting through the dessert then everything that makes a rubi a rubi, other than the transfer case and e-discos, will be swapped for aftermarket stuff anyway. At that point you will be paying the roughly $10k difference for a rubi PLUS interest for a transfer case and e-discos that will eventually fail anyway.

I know people think the Rubicon package is the be all end all and I would agree if you are leaving it stock. BUT if you are modifying your Jeep, it's much smarter financially to start with the sport.

***If not having leather interior and an upgraded but still shitty sound system was a deal breaker, you would have gotten a rubi from the get go, so those things were not taken into account.***

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Totally agree with this route, it's what I'm doing and my wallet is much happier with the lower monthly payment, leaves more cash for parts and gas!

Top Bottom