Is Paying the Extra Money For a Rubicon Up Front Worth it?...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I am waiting for November when the 2017's come in. Iam a 49 year old chick:rock:

Yeah, they're just fooling with you.

I've had Sports before, and when my wife decided she liked Jeeping trips, she wanted me to get a 4 door, for the extra room. I told her, "Only if it's a Rubicon." I enjoy already having lockers, without any downtime at a shop, having things installed. Being able to disconnect the sway bar, without crawling under the Jeep is nice, too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IAM

Yeah, they're just fooling with you.

I've had Sports before, and when my wife decided she liked Jeeping trips, she wanted me to get a 4 door, for the extra room. I told her, "Only if it's a Rubicon." I enjoy already having lockers, without any downtime at a shop, having things installed. Being able to disconnect the sway bar, without crawling under the Jeep is nice, too.

Yes, I know. How long do you think a rubi will last?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yes, I know. How long do you think a rubi will last?
What do you mean by last? If you are looking for common issues, the lockers do tend to fail with regular use, especially with bigger tires. Mine havent and I just rolled over 34k on the dash.

Jeepfan30

I just asked a local JK group that I am part of about selling my modded JKUS for a new JKUR. All of them recommended keeping my JKUS, many of the reasons were because the aftermarket parts are more reliable/stronger than OEM, and you can build a much more capable JK with aftermarket parts than what comes stock on a Rubicon. Some mentioned OEM lockers don't engage immediately like air, sway bar disconnect motors burn out, Atlas TC is better than OEM Rubicon TC.

It really boils down to how crazy you plan to go with your build. For most I would think a Rubicon with bigger tires and lift will suffice, but if you plan to replacing everything that makes a Rubicon a Rubicon, Sport seems more logical. In the end they talked me out of getting a Rubicon, and many of them own heavily modded Rubicons themselves.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I just asked a local JK group that I am part of about selling my modded JKUS for a new JKUR. All of them recommended keeping my JKUS, many of the reasons were because the aftermarket parts are more reliable/stronger than OEM, and you can build a much more capable JK with aftermarket parts than what comes stock on a Rubicon. Some mentioned OEM lockers don't engage immediately like air, sway bar disconnect motors burn out, Atlas TC is better than OEM Rubicon TC.

It really boils down to how crazy you plan to go with your build. For most I would think a Rubicon with bigger tires and lift will suffice, but if you plan to replacing everything that makes a Rubicon a Rubicon, Sport seems more logical. In the end they talked me out of getting a Rubicon, and many of them own heavily modded Rubicons themselves.

have you replaced all the parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon?

what they failed to tell you is that a Rubicon is much more capable than a sport without any modifications. Unless you have deep pockets and taking it from the dealer to a shop to get everything replaced a Rubicon makes more sense.

Also Rubicon parts sell better than non-Rubicon parts.

depending on how you use/abuse the Jeep parts will fail, even aftermarket.

It all depends on how you plan to use your Jeep but I can speak from my own experience my 2010 Rubicon has served me well, much of it still OEM except what I considered needed to handle the 37's I'm running. 138k+ miles and I still drive to and from the trails. I've had to make parking lot repairs and upgrade parts that have failed but Rubicon allowed me to spend money on other mods while having a vary capable trail Jeep :thumb:

IAM

Where I live we have a custom jeep shop called Sobee Jeeps right next to the dealer. He told me to get a Sport and just
Have the custom shop put in a lift and tires etc. and it would be cheaper and more personal than a rubi. I am sure everyone
Here has heard of Sobee Jeep custom jeep shops. I am up here in Massachusetts. My jeep would be used mostly for snow
and ski country. I really need a reliable jeep.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
http://www.stevesjeepcountry.com/im...-JK-Bushwacker-flares-2.5inch-RockKrawler.jpg

Where I live we have a custom jeep shop called Sobee Jeeps right next to the dealer. He told me to get a Sport and just
Have the custom shop put in a lift and tires etc. and it would be cheaper and more personal than a rubi. I am sure everyone
Here has heard of Sobee Jeep custom jeep shops. I am up here in Massachusetts. My jeep would be used mostly for snow

lol.. this is pretty funny:cheesy:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
http://www.stevesjeepcountry.com/im...-JK-Bushwacker-flares-2.5inch-RockKrawler.jpg

sorry, I don't know where to begin

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The custom shop told you to get a Sport, or the Jeep dealer? If you are just going to be on road, dealing with snow, I'm sure a Sport would be fine.

IAM

The custom shop told you to get a Sport, or the Jeep dealer? If you are just going to be on road, dealing with snow, I'm sure a Sport would be fine.

The custom shop told me to get a sport because the guy said why buy a rubi and then rip everything out.
The dealer always wants you to buy the most expensive jeep. You spend 10 grand less on a sport than a rubi
Then put your own lift,tires etc on it

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The dealer who probably is connected with the shop recommended you get a sport then pay them to do upgrades rather than just buy a rubicon? Shocker, that's because they'd make way more money.

If you are looking at mainly snow though, look at the new cold weather package on the 2017 Sport. It comes with BFG KO2s which will be much better in the snow than many of the other factory tires. Also jeep typically releases a special winter edition to tie to winter x games they sponsor which has had KO2s the past couple years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The custom shop told me to get a sport because the guy said why buy a rubi and then rip everything out.
The dealer always wants you to buy the most expensive jeep. You spend 10 grand less on a sport than a rubi
Then put your own lift,tires etc on it

Yea, and the shop guy wants you to spend that money at his shop! Someone's gonna get your money, except at least if you get a Rubi that value goes toward Blue Book; labor costs don't.

IAM

The dealer who probably is connected with the shop recommended you get a sport then pay them to do upgrades rather than just buy a rubicon? Shocker, that's because they'd make way more money.

If you are looking at mainly snow though, look at the new cold weather package on the 2017 Sport. It comes with BFG KO2s which will be much better in the snow than many of the other factory tires. Also jeep typically releases a special winter edition to tie to winter x games they sponsor which has had KO2s the past couple years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes you are right the shops are connected. I will check out the cold weather package when it I see it out.

jeeeep

Hooked

wow...I smell a load of BS - kick-back ....

I'm wondering what they mean by "more personal than a Rubi", it's a Jeep! not much difference in interiors from model to model.

As for cheaper that's a laughable tactic, yes a Sport is cheaper than a Rubi, but a Rubi has more capabilities than a Sport. Nothing wrong with a sport, I have one as well but for offroad the Rubi hands down.

I'm betting he's telling you to take all those savings and have Sobee "customize" your Jeep with overpriced cheap parts for looks. I've heard that same pitch from a dealer here that also has a custom shop. The prices I got for them to "customize" my Jeep to make it what I wanted was ridiculous, the margins on their cheap parts were 4x what I could buy them for online and it did nothing to upgrade the main reason I bought a Jeep for.

IMO the word "custom" is overpriced cheap parts that look good. Given that you live in snow country I'd get the Rubicon with the stock features you like and drive it as is. Get used to how it handles and decide on how you will ultimately use it before making any modifications to it. Modifying your Jeep will change its handling characteristics

IAM

Yea, and the shop guy wants you to spend that money at his shop! Someone's gonna get your money, except at least if you get a Rubi that value goes toward Blue Book; labor costs don't.
That is a great point. I am better off with a rubi in the end. Thank you for helping me decide:thumb:

BobNH

How'd the Steves Jeep Country pic end up in there? Just wondered, as that is where I bought my Rubicon. Great people. As to reg vs rubi-you cant beat for the price what you get. Bottom line is the 4:1 t-case. This makes it hands down the best weekend warrior for those of us who DD in particular. You get the 4.10 gears which are great all around gears, and then the low crawl ratio when you go offroad. I can now comfortably run the highways to wherever I want to wheel. The t-case was my main reason for buying it. The lockers are just nice to have with it.

Top Bottom