Is Paying the Extra Money For a Rubicon Up Front Worth it?...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
How'd the Steves Jeep Country pic end up in there? Just wondered, as that is where I bought my Rubicon. Great people. As to reg vs rubi-you cant beat for the price what you get. Bottom line is the 4:1 t-case. This makes it hands down the best weekend warrior for those of us who DD in particular. You get the 4.10 gears which are great all around gears, and then the low crawl ratio when you go offroad. I can now comfortably run the highways to wherever I want to wheel. The t-case was my main reason for buying it. The lockers are just nice to have with it.

4.10 gears are an option, now. Not all of them may have them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IAM

How'd the Steves Jeep Country pic end up in there? Just wondered, as that is where I bought my Rubicon. Great people. As to reg vs rubi-you cant beat for the price what you get. Bottom line is the 4:1 t-case. This makes it hands down the best weekend warrior for those of us who DD in particular. You get the 4.10 gears which are great all around gears, and then the low crawl ratio when you go offroad. I can now comfortably run the highways to wherever I want to wheel. The t-case was my main reason for buying it. The lockers are just nice to have with it.

It's funny you mentioned about the steves jeeps county pic. I have no idea how that got there. I was wondering the same thing
myself.... :thinking:

tanmanjk

I've had two rubicons. A tj and a jk. Love them both. I've probably never used them to their full potential, but it's nice to know I have extra machinery to help out if I need it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

If I could get a do over... i would love to have the head start of a Rubi. Unless your made of $$$ and can just hook up a sport or sahara from day one. Go Rubi at the beginning.

sent from some burner phone found in a dumpster

Evil

The custom shop told me to get a sport because the guy said why buy a rubi and then rip everything out.
The dealer always wants you to buy the most expensive jeep. You spend 10 grand less on a sport than a rubi
Then put your own lift,tires etc on it

What all are they ripping out to lift a Rubi???? New shocks and springs and rims if you so choose and new tires? Think about that for a sec.

cartertripp

It truly depends on what you want to do. If you plan on keep the stock axles with the stock lockers then yes it's worth it. If you plan on upgrading to D60's then get a sport and put the money in those axles later.

jesse3638

Hooked
Where I live we have a custom jeep shop called Sobee Jeeps right next to the dealer. He told me to get a Sport and just
Have the custom shop put in a lift and tires etc. and it would be cheaper and more personal than a rubi. I am sure everyone
Here has heard of Sobee Jeep custom jeep shops. I am up here in Massachusetts. My jeep would be used mostly for snow
and ski country. I really need a reliable jeep.

As mentioned unless you plan on replacing the t-case with an atlas thats another reason to get a Rubi. Its even more personal when you so all of your own research and decide what you want to do with your build. Then you purchase the parts yourself and do the install. I installed my long arm lift in my garage over the course of 3.5 weeks and many other things since that, so I feel its more personal than paying a shop to do the install. In doing so I got to know the in's and out's of my Jeep and all the components I installed. I've had it for nearly 5 years now and its pretty damn reliable.

Jeepfan30

As mentioned unless you plan on replacing the t-case with an atlas thats another reason to get a Rubi. Its even more personal when you so all of your own research and decide what you want to do with your build. Then you purchase the parts yourself and do the install. I installed my long arm lift in my garage over the course of 3.5 weeks and many other things since that, so I feel its more personal than paying a shop to do the install. In doing so I got to know the in's and out's of my Jeep and all the components I installed. I've had it for nearly 5 years now and its pretty damn reliable.

Agreed. My Sport is very personal since I have installed everything with my own hands after much research, to include the gears/Truetracs/Rubi sway bar with No Limits. The only thing I didn't do was the welding of my c gussets and control arm skids. Having the knowledge and tools to do the work yourself saves a ton of money and you learn a ton.

My next Jeep will likely be a Rubicon just because it would be nice to have lockers/disco/TC/leather right away and under factory warranty, but I have had a great time building my Sport.

Benji

I debated this question for a while before purchasing my Jeep as well. I went with the Sport. When I really started looking I was going to build past rubicon factory mod's anyway at some point. It's a family DD for now and I just couldn't justify the Rubicon.

However the biggest gripe seems to be having the 4:1 transfer case. I picked up a used one offline for $1000 (it is year specific before/after 2012). AEV Procal now has the ability to change the t-case gears for the ECU. I have the only thing I wanted from a Rubicon and I didn't have to front $6k extra at the dealership. The 44 front? Simple. Buy a Rubicon take off or buy a pro-rock etc. assembly. With a Rubicon take off beefed up im still way below Rubicon price tag and have all the stuff I really wanted.

What I liked most about the Rubicon is the larger Wheel Base and Tires.

Well, that makes no sense.

Anyhoo...my '13 that I blew up was a sport...and I thought I'd be just fine with it...until I got my 14 Rubi. Funny how my Sport was just fine until I got a taste of something better...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you are going to take the axles out of the sport, change the transfer case, and put in lockers, immediately, yeah go with the sport. That's what I thought I'd do, and never did. When I needed 2 extra doors, I bought a rubicon.

Napalm

I'll throw in my two cents!

For my budget, what I'd be using it for, and the fact that my wife won't dare but used, I went with a Sport S. The first reason was obviously financial. I couldn't afford to foot the extra money that you have to pay for the Rubicon. I could have bought one used, but after many bad experiences with previously used vehicles, my wife won't have it. Buying a new Rubicon would have made for a higher payment for me which means no room for mods.

My next reason is what I'd be doing with it. Honestly, I had this "dream" whenever I bought my first Jeep back in 2011 that I would actually get out and be a hardcore wheeler. Now, five Jeeps later I realize that is not me and I may wheel 2-3 times a year if I am lucky. So, with my amount of wheeling I knew I couldn't justify the extra prices for the added goodies.

I knew I wasn't going to change out the axles, suspension, transfer case, any of that right away. Even with that though I couldn't justify the price of a new Rubicon. I knew that the biggest size tire I'd run would be a 35" so I knew that I would be "okay" with the D30. Even when I am on the trails, I run the easier lines and play it safe. I know, I am boring. My Jeep is a daily driver first, and champion off road hard core wheeling machine second. ;)

Bottom line is, whenever my sport was stock, I wish I could have had a Rubicon. Now that it's modified how I like it(almost), I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

The custom shop told me to get a sport because the guy said why buy a rubi and then rip everything out.
The dealer always wants you to buy the most expensive jeep. You spend 10 grand less on a sport than a rubi
Then put your own lift,tires etc on it
I had a an 83 cj7 renegade for almost 5 years. If I had the room I would have kept it, but I didn't and I wanted a new jeep. Now the cj7 was pretty stock except for the longer shackles and the 31 inch tires. I am not a hardcore wheeler like many on here. That said any set up will work and last if you are careful. When I sold my cj I made my mind up that I wanted the rubicon, because if I had to getting rid of my cj then I wanted something even more capable right off the bat. And before anyone says anything yes I am very aware that the cj and the jk are two very different animals. Not comparing them exactly just the set up. And frankly even though my cj had higher ground clearance than my rubi does currently, though not for long, I find I am much more comfortable with putting my rubi on trails I would have likely avoided with my cj. The 4:1 transfer case along with my 4.10 gears gives me a crawl ratio of like 68:1 or with the stock tires. The difference that makes is unbelievable. I seldom have to give any skinny pedal to go over things in my rubi and mostly just idle through. This allows me to take my time and pay closer attention to what my jeep is doing on an obstacle. That all said it will, like most have started come down to how you will use your jeep and also preference. Any jeep is capable and every jeep can be made more capable. Regardless of which one you go with have fun with it and enjoy your life in your jeep.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom