Issues moving up to 35's

ski313

Nope, on an Auto, it can cause your tranny to go into Limp Mode to protect itself because, the shift points and the ESC will be off

I plan on putting some 35's under my automatic with flat fenders and a level kit. I wasn't planning on reprogramming right away. Will my jeep go into limp mode?
I had a similar setup on my old 2007 and had no issues. Thanks for any advice.

Flynlo

You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not using a pro cal or flash cal (I personally use the AEV Pro Cal). For about $150 it will insure that all the sensors in your JK are communicating properly with each other and you won't risk going into limp mode, dealing with poor shifting and an inaccurate speedometer which leads to having an incorrect odometer. By not reprogramming, going into "limp mode" is the only possible risk you'll encounter, everything else is guaranteed to happen.

Taken directly from AEV's website:
"...Topping the list is the ability to correct the speedometer and gear ratio when larger tires are installed. When the speedometer is left uncorrected, there is a major degradation in the performance of the stability control (ESP), transmission shifting, and engine performance....
The best part of the ProCal is that it isn’t just for correcting the speedometer. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System can now be recalibrated to better suit aftermarket tires without triggering the dash light. Further, the ProCal Module makes it possible to activate daytime running lamps, “one-touch” turn signals, enable a temporarily increased engine idle speed for winching, clear engine codes, and even has a feature to help alignment technicians align the vehicle perfectly for optimal ESP performance."

You won't regret the purchase.

hawklee

The main downside of the flash cal in my opinion. Even with two PCs I still had software issues with the updates. The reasons why I ended up selling mine and going procal.

Ok so I'm getting 35's for the first time and I'm under the impression I'm gonna need to do a couple things... Not exactly sure what they are. (Tried searching but I'm probably doing it wrong)

My question is, is spedo adjustment required? and by required I mean is anything other than the display affected by not doing it?

I saw a few mentions of these procal modules. Are there any alternatives to these kind of things? (I saw something about them screwing something up with the sway bar or lockers on a JK rubicon. Ring any bells??

and Is there anything else I need to worry about with upsizing? not so much with clearances but more so with electronics and gears and what not

and to note (one day I might eat these words) but I'm not going bigger than 35"

Finally found a PC and was able to download the Superchips Flashcal software....took 40 mins or so to download but no time at all to update the device. Plugged device into the JK and went through the options...very easy to use and understand the screen and directions. Resized my tires to update speedo, ( i didnt see anything about shifting, but maybe tire size adjustment corrects this), cleared some codes for the new headlights i installed, changed some other settings for when lights go out after turning off ignition, saw you can change from horn beep to lights flash when remote locking. Lots of other setting as well.

Will have to drive tomorrow to test the speedo

hawklee

Tested speedo today and it was off the other way after programming in they I had 35"tires.

Either they run small or sit small due to weight of Jeep.

Anyways, reduced the size to 33.5" and now it's pretty accurate or should I say similar to my phones Gps while driving.

One thing I couldn't figure was it reads or knows my TPMS is set to 28 psi. With new tires and wheels I opted to forego the sensors so I thought I could just reset the TPMS to 0 and keep the light off, but I couldn't figure how to change TPMS settings.

thardy

Banned
Tested speedo today and it was off the other way after programming in they I had 35"tires.

Either they run small or sit small due to weight of Jeep.

Anyways, reduced the size to 33.5" and now it's pretty accurate or should I say similar to my phones Gps while driving.

One thing I couldn't figure was it reads or knows my TPMS is set to 28 psi. With new tires and wheels I opted to forego the sensors so I thought I could just reset the TPMS to 0 and keep the light off, but I couldn't figure how to change TPMS settings.

Your best bet is to just turn off the TPMS system. Also, have you properly measured your tires to figure out exactly what size you are running?

bigbootysuperduty

Measure from the floor through the center of the wheel to the top. You want to punch in the height, not the OD. This will get your speedo correct. It safe to say you already have the correct number in there.

It's about a 4 hour job if you leave the ball joints in. You want to take your time as you don't want to hear them up. If you take them out then you can get it done in about an hour per side but you still want to go slow so you don't warp anything.

I read the write up on them, but how slow do you need to go if you leave the ball joints in? 1/4-1/2 inch at a time, or can you do a whole inch?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Measure from the floor through the center of the wheel to the top. You want to punch in the height, not the OD. This will get your speedo correct. It safe to say you already have the correct number in there.

If you are explaining how to measure for tire size you are incorrect. You need to measure from the ground to the center of the rim and double it. If you measure from the ground to the top of the tire the measurement will be wrong.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
If you are explaining how to measure for tire size you are incorrect. You need to measure from the ground to the center of the rim and double it. If you measure from the ground to the top of the tire the measurement will be wrong.

Superchips flachcal says otherwise. Overlander isn't always right. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447616333.577605.jpg

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Have to disagree with Superchips here. Overlander is always right. :yup:

:cheesy: if I'm the OP and decide to buy a calibration tool, I would follow the direction on the device and not the advice from some guy on the inter web. Hey, but that's just me.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
:cheesy: if I'm the OP and decide to buy a calibration tool, I would follow the direction on the device and not the advice from some guy on the inter web. Hey, but that's just me.

Or you could take a step back, and realize that won't give you the rolling diameter of the tire.
Especially with an auto, you really should have an accurate tire size programmed into your JKs computer. For speed, shift points, mpg etc.

But hey, that's just me.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Or you could take a step back, and realize that won't give you the rolling diameter of the tire.
Especially with an auto, you really should have an accurate tire size programmed into your JKs computer. For speed, shift points, mpg etc.

But hey, that's just me.

I'm curious how you measure your tires rolling diameter??

thardy

Banned

The way Overlander described gets you the most accurate dimension. I actually did follow the superchips directions when I got my FlashCal, and my Jeep seemed to shift at the wrong times. Upon seeing the measuring instructions suggested my Wayalife (the method Overlander described), I re-measured and re-calibrated and the Jeep shifted much better.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Superchips flachcal says otherwise. Overlander isn't always right. View attachment 173772

More times than not I am right. Go ahead and do it the way superchips says and your speedo will be off.

Oh and if you really still don't believe me go ahead and search and you'll see a thread about this from a while back to prove I am right.

Cheers to you fucker.

Top Bottom