Jeep all over the place at hwy speed

Slimebones

There came a time when most of us had to make the decision to make these checks and adjustments ourselves just to be sure things are right, so that we don't have to say "they said it was right". Doing it yourself, you will "know" it is right. Dig further into the write-ups on this forum and the answer will most likely become apparent after you have thoroughly gone over your Jeep. Getting to know your Jeep better also gives you more reassurance for any needed trail repairs.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
There came a time when most of us had to make the decision to make these checks and adjustments ourselves just to be sure things are right, so that we don't have to say "they said it was right". Doing it yourself, you will "know" it is right. Dig further into the write-ups on this forum and the answer will most likely become apparent after you have thoroughly gone over your Jeep. Getting to know your Jeep better also gives you more reassurance for any needed trail repairs.

^ This.

I had my wheels rotated by a local dealership here ONE time when I was moving, because I didn't have access to my tools. Saw it was a new guy working on the vehicle. Thought okay, no biggie. It's just rotating tires.. how hard can that be to screw up? Got out to the parking lot, and grabbed the tire iron from the Jeep just to check the lug nuts out of habit. Thank God I did... none of them were torqued down.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
^ This.

I had my wheels rotated by a local dealership here ONE time when I was moving, because I didn't have access to my tools. Saw it was a new guy working on the vehicle. Thought okay, no biggie. It's just rotating tires.. how hard can that be to screw up? Got out to the parking lot, and grabbed the tire iron from the Jeep just to check the lug nuts out of habit. Thank God I did... none of them were torqued down.

I had that happen to me as well. fucking dumb ass dealerships, I did drive home like that and my steering wheel and the jeep would jump around when hitting bumps on the road. When I got home and checked the lugs, 3 of them I was able to unscrew by hand and 2 were barely tight, that's just on one wheel, there's 3 more. Scary shit that is, I never trust anybody anymore, if I do have to take it in somewhere I always double check their work.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I had that happen to me as well. fucking dumb ass dealerships, I did drive home like that and my steering wheel and the jeep would jump around when hitting bumps on the road. When I got home and checked the lugs, 3 of them I was able to unscrew by hand and 2 were barely tight, that's just on one wheel, there's 3 more. Scary shit that is, I never trust anybody anymore, if I do have to take it in somewhere I always double check their work.

Yep. Since then, I torque my wheels every time I have work done. The guys at Discount Tire always give me shit about it, because I'm in the parking lot torquing my wheels again. But, you can't trust anyone. The only way to know it was done right, is to do it yourself.

Ddays

Hooked
All the work that was done is listed in my first post. Not a new lift. All the mod info is in my profile. When the arms were installed I was assured that castor was set to how they always set it for the 4" lift but not sure of the number. The new tires are the Open Country R/T's. I asked them if they checked the track bar and they said everything was correct.

Sorry, not meaning to sound like a dick, but if you ask for assistance it helps if you list in basic terms more details than what you provided in your first post. Most of us don't have the time to go back and look through someones profile
to see what they're running...:idontknow:

Yep, sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns and check all of this shit for yourself. Of course the shop is gonna say they checked/tightened/verified everything correctly. Its up to you to verify. Being that we're modifying the hell out of our vehicles, its also up to us to be versed on how to maintain or at least be able to see if something looks amiss. I gave up on dealerships/garages doing any work on my Jeep a long time ago.

jonathanbottoms

The traction control light came on while you were driving? If so, that could be related to your steering wheel being off center (Happened to me in my '14 before). Have you flipped your drag link? I experienced flighty steering like you are describing after having my 4" lift installed with drag link & front track bar mounted in the factory locations. Flipped the drag link & raised the track bar. No problems since. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
All the work that was done is listed in my first post. Not a new lift. All the mod info is in my profile. When the arms were installed I was assured that castor was set to how they always set it for the 4" lift but not sure of the number. The new tires are the Open Country R/T's. I asked them if they checked the track bar and they said everything was correct.

This ^^^^^

assured that castor was set to how they always set it for the 4" lift ....IMO that's a red flag, I ran the 4" plush and had caster set very close to stock. I would check it.

schnauzer

This may have been asked but if not. Please list the part numbers of each aftermarket suspension component, including geometry corrections, flips, cam bolts.... also post a picture of the underneath of your jk showing the drag link and trackbar angles in relation to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
This may have been asked but if not. Please list the part numbers of each aftermarket suspension component, including geometry corrections, flips, cam bolts.... also post a picture of the underneath of your jk showing the drag link and trackbar angles in relation to each other.

part numbers? :thinking:

schnauzer

Part numbers are very important in diagnosing an issue, maybe he has a high steer kit, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he has cam bolts and when is set forward and one is set back, maybe they swapped the tie rod and did not put it back at the same length as the old one. I have been doing this for 15 years and learning what a setup is like is a huge part of diagnosing what went wrong to cause the steering issue.

Ddays

Hooked
Part numbers are very important in diagnosing an issue, maybe he has a high steer kit, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he has cam bolts and when is set forward and one is set back, maybe they swapped the tie rod and did not put it back at the same length as the old one. I have been doing this for 15 years and learning what a setup is like is a huge part of diagnosing what went wrong to cause the steering issue.

Having the part number of the cam bolt won't tell you if its installed correctly. Visually inspecting it like we've all been trying to say for two days will. :idontknow:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Only 15?

Yep. Since then, I torque my wheels every time I have work done. The guys at Discount Tire always give me shit about it, because I'm in the parking lot torquing my wheels again. But, you can't trust anyone. The only way to know it was done right, is to do it yourself.
X3 I always check the work done by others, sad, but true, no one will care as much nor put as much love into your jeep then the owner.

I returned home from a oil change from the dealer once, got under the jeep to find the oil pan bolt finger tight, dripping oil. Return to the dealer right away, and they told me it was a good thing I caught this. Humm... it took everything I had not to loose my wig in the service bay.

schnauzer

Having the part number of the cam bolt won't tell you if its installed correctly. Visually inspecting it like we've all been trying to say for two days will. :idontknow:

seriously? you don't need the part number of a cam bolt but you do need to know whether he has them or not, also busting my balls or picking apart a post is not helping the OP one bit.

Top Bottom