Jeep Does Not Drive Straight

TheDude73

Idk where your looking but at 4wheelparts there 200

Just checked there and don't see them for 200 (wish they were!).

Alloy USA part 11800 set of 4 for JK $172.99

Synergy heavy duty set of 4 for JK $251.98.

Are the ones you see a different, non-heavy duty set? Just curious for future reference (I'm in the midst of a slight DW diagnosis using Planman and Wayoflife FAQ troubleshooting advice).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are the ones you see a different, non-heavy duty set? Just curious for future reference (I'm in the midst of a slight DW diagnosis using Planman and Wayoflife FAQ troubleshooting advice).

:cheesy: Oh for heaven's sake, please do NOT use Planman in the same breath as anything I've written. Planman is a financial advisor who rarely drives his Jeeps and trailers them anytime he wants to go wheeling. He has far more experience with Jeeps and working on them than I could ever hope to have. Certainly, he'd be the first to tell you that you need to swap out your factory bolts for a set of Grade 8 ones :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just checked there and don't see them for 200 (wish they were!).

Alloy USA part 11800 set of 4 for JK $172.99

Synergy heavy duty set of 4 for JK $251.98.

All credibility you may have had is gone when you said planman.

tonytony9

I have the Synergy ball joints and I love them. But when its time for replacement I'll probably go with the Crown HD ball joints which are grease-able and appear to be the same as the Synergy/Alloy USA. One good thing about Alloy is the 5yr warranty.

Thank you^

tonytony9

Never get a steering stabilizer to fix death wobble!!!! that just hides whats broken... anyways what lift are you running and make sure your wheel are perpendicular to the road you might have bent c's or tubes... I asked lift because your axle might not be wheel at the right angle.

Ya I knew it would not fix the Dw. My dad insisted even though I said multiple times it wouldn't do anything. Has made my steering a little tighter which is nice.

I do not have any lift yet.

tonytony9

:cheesy: Oh for heaven's sake, please do NOT use Planman in the same breath as anything I've written. Planman is a financial advisor who rarely drives his Jeeps and trailers them anytime he wants to go wheeling. He has far more experience with Jeeps and working on them than I could ever hope to have. Certainly, he'd be the first to tell you that you need to swap out your factory bolts for a set of Grade 8 ones :yup:

Can anyone determine by this picture the condition of my ball joints?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431548392.452194.jpg
Front drivers side

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some instructions as to what you will need to do.

If you have a dial indicator, it will be the best way to measure ball joint play. But, there are things you can do to check it without one and, if they are really bad, you won't need one.

Here what you do:
1. From the axle, use a good floor jack to lift one of your tire off the ground. If you don't have a good floor jack, set your axle on a jack stand to hold it up securely in place.
2. From the side, place a long pry bar under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for axial (up and down) movement. Any movement more than 0.050" is too much and would indicate that your ball joint is bad. Of course, if you can see this movement with your eyes, it's definitely bad.
3. Next, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to rock it back and forth while you have someone watch the upper joint for any movement. Any radial (side-to-side) movement more than 0.060" is too much. Again, if you can see the movement with your eyes and without any dial indicator, it's probably bad as well.

ttfhell

How about securing a trailer safely? lol.

TheDude73

All credibility you may have had is gone when you said planman.

I'm not here to gain credibility - his name was mentioned above before I said it, so that's where it came from. I figured if someone at this forum suggested it and wasn't mocked, then it must be a good reference. Apparently not...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Here are some instructions as to what you will need to do.

If you have a dial indicator, it will be the best way to measure ball joint play. But, there are things you can do to check it without one and, if they are really bad, you won't need one.

Here what you do:
1. From the axle, use a good floor jack to lift one of your tire off the ground. If you don't have a good floor jack, set your axle on a jack stand to hold it up securely in place.
2. From the side, place a long pry bar under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for axial (up and down) movement. Any movement more than 0.050" is too much and would indicate that your ball joint is bad. Of course, if you can see this movement with your eyes, it's definitely bad.
3. Next, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to rock it back and forth while you have someone watch the upper joint for any movement. Any radial (side-to-side) movement more than 0.060" is too much. Again, if you can see the movement with your eyes and without any dial indicator, it's probably bad as well.

Did Planman write that? :idontknow:

Top Bottom