Jeep is in the shop, just got a phone call from the dealership?!?!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I just want to thank everyone in this thread that posted experience and opinions on the subject to keep me positive that this issue SHOULD BE covered under warranty. After reading the written warranty in black and white, it states "no parts of the clutch asselby is covered under warranty at any time" so I guess I lucked out.

WJCO

Meme King
I just want to thank everyone in this thread that posted experience and opinions on the subject to keep me positive that this issue SHOULD BE covered under warranty. After reading the written warranty in black and white, it states "no parts of the clutch asselby is covered under warranty at any time" so I guess I lucked out.

Strange, but regardless, glad it worked out.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
2 and a half weeks later, and roughly 700 miles on the new clutch... everything is silent as it should be, and honestly as a bonus, the peddle actually feels a bit smoother too. I'm Happy! :thumb:

Jegar

DWiggles, SO glad it worked out! I was getting heartburn when I started reading this thread. I had a recent two-month round and round and round about ordeal getting my UConnect system replaced. But during the process, I learned and observed some interesting "facts."

Long rant to follow......The first writer I hooked up with, was quite the smoozer and talkative. He had previously worked at another dealership and was accustomed to engaging customers in the medical community, offering special service favors and receiving gratuities, and appeared to be hoping to establish a similar relationship as he was throwing around names and relating stories, with dollar amounts and favors frequently referenced. During his "chatting," he did confide that they (the service writers) work on COMMISSION. Alarm bells started going off, ("Ah, that explains a LOT!!!!), and this information was locked in my brain file. I had brought the Jeep (2015 JK purchased Memorial weekend) because I had ongoing issues with charging, the USB port fell out loose into the inside of the center console, the phone not stayed paired and calls would cut off after several seconds, audiobooks/music player would turn off or fail to load, the voice-control recognition would not turn on, etc., etc. Also, I had just pulled the pin out of my valve stem, stepping on the compressor hose airing up (sigh..). I was told by Mr. Smoozer that I would need to replace the sensor (at $90+ labor). After a long, unconvincing discussion, we agreed to disagree that pulling the pin was like "pulling the guts out," and I asked them to give me back the "stripped and useless" sensor. When the 4x4 shop did my mods, they popped the sensor back in and it's been happily sensing and reading away ever since. The other clear deception occurred during with the UConnect ordeal. The USB port was fished out and put back in, but much to their surprise, all of the UConnect dysfunction was not magically fixed (hours and hours at dealership, overnight stay, return to dealership, etc. just to get to that stage, BTW), the solution was to change the USB port and harness, as I appeared to have been incapable of plugging in my phone and it was severely bent. (Funny, the port hadn't been bent prior to fishing out, so I clearly bent it telepathically.). Another overnight stay and supposedly the USB port was replaced -- Lo and behold, UConnect system still didn't work and the phone still did not charge. Transferred the case to another dealership 30 miles away; start all over with the hoop jumping and fighting with Star (UConnect), two months later got approval for the unit replacement. Took the Jeep in for the install, and asked while they were there, could they put the fuzzy brush thing around the e-brake back on its track? Got a call, "um.....when we opened up your center console to put the brush-thing back, we found your USB harness is all cut up and taped together really badly, and the USB port is all bent up." Hmmmmmm Happy highlight of the story - I tore the driveshaft boot on the trails, and asked if it could be replaced. I believe as a peace offering, the second dealership agreed to warranty it ("as long as we don't see any impact damage."). Of course, it can never be simple! The first boot ordered was too small, the second too big, and the third .... "Aah, we looked at the catalog, and it seems for your model the whole driveshaft has to be replaced!" And, "Umm, you know this is going to keep happening, right?" (i.e. Lift = torn boot). So I got rid of the ugly, rusted driveshaft and a shiny new one. Had the 4x4 shop come to the dealership and do a heat wrap (per dealership request) as a return goodwill gesture.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
DWiggles, SO glad it worked out! I was getting heartburn when I started reading this thread. I had a recent two-month round and round and round about ordeal getting my UConnect system replaced. But during the process, I learned and observed some interesting "facts."
Thanks man! I'm glad they did the right thing without to much fuss!

Long rant to follow......The first writer I hooked up with, was quite the smoozer and talkative. He had previously worked at another dealership and was accustomed to engaging customers in the medical community, offering special service favors and receiving gratuities, and appeared to be hoping to establish a similar relationship as he was throwing around names and relating stories, with dollar amounts and favors frequently referenced. During his "chatting," he did confide that they (the service writers) work on COMMISSION. Alarm bells started going off, ("Ah, that explains a LOT!!!!), and this information was locked in my brain file. I had brought the Jeep (2015 JK purchased Memorial weekend) because I had ongoing issues with charging, the USB port fell out loose into the inside of the center console, the phone not stayed paired and calls would cut off after several seconds, audiobooks/music player would turn off or fail to load, the voice-control recognition would not turn on, etc., etc. Also, I had just pulled the pin out of my valve stem, stepping on the compressor hose airing up (sigh..). I was told by Mr. Smoozer that I would need to replace the sensor (at $90+ labor). After a long, unconvincing discussion, we agreed to disagree that pulling the pin was like "pulling the guts out," and I asked them to give me back the "stripped and useless" sensor. When the 4x4 shop did my mods, they popped the sensor back in and it's been happily sensing and reading away ever since. The other clear deception occurred during with the UConnect ordeal. The USB port was fished out and put back in, but much to their surprise, all of the UConnect dysfunction was not magically fixed (hours and hours at dealership, overnight stay, return to dealership, etc. just to get to that stage, BTW), the solution was to change the USB port and harness, as I appeared to have been incapable of plugging in my phone and it was severely bent. (Funny, the port hadn't been bent prior to fishing out, so I clearly bent it telepathically.). Another overnight stay and supposedly the USB port was replaced -- Lo and behold, UConnect system still didn't work and the phone still did not charge. Transferred the case to another dealership 30 miles away; start all over with the hoop jumping and fighting with Star (UConnect), two months later got approval for the unit replacement. Took the Jeep in for the install, and asked while they were there, could they put the fuzzy brush thing around the e-brake back on its track? Got a call, "um.....when we opened up your center console to put the brush-thing back, we found your USB harness is all cut up and taped together really badly, and the USB port is all bent up." Hmmmmmm Happy highlight of the story - I tore the driveshaft boot on the trails, and asked if it could be replaced. I believe as a peace offering, the second dealership agreed to warranty it ("as long as we don't see any impact damage."). Of course, it can never be simple! The first boot ordered was too small, the second too big, and the third .... "Aah, we looked at the catalog, and it seems for your model the whole driveshaft has to be replaced!" And, "Umm, you know this is going to keep happening, right?" (i.e. Lift = torn boot). So I got rid of the ugly, rusted driveshaft and a shiny new one. Had the 4x4 shop come to the dealership and do a heat wrap (per dealership request) as a return goodwill gesture.
oh man, I would have been on the phone with Chrysler IMMEDIATELY. Electronics are not something I would even mess with. If its under 3 yr/36k, and something happened to ANY electronic, it should be no questions asked on replacement (unless it was flooded or something obvious) :doh:

WJCO

Meme King
During his "chatting," he did confide that they (the service writers) work on COMMISSION. Alarm bells started going off, ("Ah, that explains a LOT!!!!), and this information was locked in my brain file.

Yep. Almost ALL of them are. But a good service writer will take care of a customer no matter what. They get paid on customer pay and warranty pay. Being honest and taking care of the customer will result in more money as the customer will come back time and time again because of the the honest relationship. Writers who just try to gouge people, lie, and make the fast buck don't usually make more money in the long run, and in smaller towns, word gets out quick.

Jegar

Thanks man! I'm glad they did the right thing without to much fuss!

oh man, I would have been on the phone with Chrysler IMMEDIATELY. Electronics are not something I would even mess with. If its under 3 yr/36k, and something happened to ANY electronic, it should be no questions asked on replacement (unless it was flooded or something obvious) :doh:

Yes! I had to have a Senior Advisor take over the case. Unfortunately the UConnect issues are fairly common, so layer upon layer of hoops and obstacles are in place, in an effort to limit the number of units replaced. If anyone else is experiencing issues, they are free to PM me, and I can share some behind the scenes war strategies! Again, I am really glad you got your problem fixed! Such a nice rig, and you NEED that clutch!!!!!!

Yep. Almost ALL of them are. But a good service writer will take care of a customer no matter what. They get paid on customer pay and warranty pay. Being honest and taking care of the customer will result in more money as the customer will come back time and time again because of the the honest relationship. Writers who just try to gouge people, lie, and make the fast buck don't usually make more money in the long run, and in smaller towns, word gets out quick.

Yes! Very true, and very well said!

2013CGJKU

DWiggles, I would be willing to bet that the dealership was Northwest Dodge. Sounds like the same BS runaround they gave me when my rear main seal started leaking at like 6000 miles. Took them a month to get it fixed and I got my rig back with a completely empty tank of gas and a half drank soda in the cup holder. It's been "mine" ever since then just because I don't want anyone else touching it.

I can't speak for all dealerships but I will say without an ounce of regret that Northwest Dodge is full of a bunch of shit-for-brains.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Oh wow... them too. Nice. :rolleyes:

I mean to be fair, they did make it right... it just took standing up and saying "WTF?!" to get there. Had I been clueless or afraid of confronting the "Service adviser" and speaking my mind, or female, or more polite, or... or... or... is the only issue I have with that situation. But I am happy its over, I have my jeep back. That is what matters now. :thumb:

Top Bottom