Jeep JK Wrangler Airbag Light Going ON & OFF

Jiffy05

Eddie, stupid question.....do you have anything on the front passenger seat weighing around 1-15lbs? A gym bag? A laptop? A dog? Had this problem on the wife's crv. The seat had a built in sensor that if it THINKS a small child is sitting in the front seat, it will turn off the passenger airbag and illuminate the airbag light. Drove me crazy for 3 days, until I was washing the car and realized that it was her 4lb makeup case that was setting it off. Removed it off the seat and the light went away. Put it back on, light came back.

I was about to ask the same thing. I had that happen in my car a few times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, how you going with this one, any closer to finding the problem?

Nah. Gonna take her into the dealership tomorrow just to get a scan. If it's something other than the clock spring, I'd like to know before tearing into things. I just wish I could get my hands on a scan tool that can tell me a bit more than what I get now which is ZERO :rolleyes2:

HILLZ

Nah. Gonna take her into the dealership tomorrow just to get a scan. If it's something other than the clock spring, I'd like to know before tearing into things. I just wish I could get my hands on a scan tool that can tell me a bit more than what I get now which is ZERO :rolleyes2:

Cool, let us know the outcome, also try get a snap of the look on their faces when they go out and see the beast that is now Moby. :cheesy::cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, went to get a scan this morning and as I thought, we have a bad clock spring. I was hoping for a chance it's be something stupid but, looks like I'm gonna have to cough up some cash to get this fixed.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok, went to get a scan this morning and as I thought, we have a bad clock spring. I was hoping for a chance it's be something stupid but, looks like I'm gonna have to cough up some cash to get this fixed.

how much does a new clock spring usually cost? and are you going to do it or just have the dealer do it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
how much does a new clock spring usually cost? and are you going to do it or just have the dealer do it?

New clock springs is about $300. Having it installed will cost about $200 more. If it weren't for the fact that I have a lot I need to get done before I leave for SEMA, I would just do it myself but, to save on time, I've decided to let them do the work.

HILLZ

New clock springs is about $300. Having it installed will cost about $200 more. If it weren't for the fact that I have a lot I need to get done before I leave for SEMA, I would just do it myself but, to save on time, I've decided to let them do the work.

Wouldn't that be a warranty job or has yours run out?:thinking:

That sucks :grayno: but hey I always look at it as "it could have been worse" haha

Have a great time at SEMA :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks :grayno: but hey I always look at it as "it could have been worse" haha

Have a great time at SEMA :thumb:

LOL!! Yeah, it's kind of lame only because they seem to go out so quickly. I mean, this one went out in less than 2 years but, as Cindy pointed out, we do have almost 75,000 miles on our Jeep. Of course, Moby has gone through 2 clock springs already too. :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Yeah, it's kind of lame only because they seem to go out so quickly. I mean, this one went out in less than 2 years but, as Cindy pointed out, we do have almost 75,000 miles on our Jeep. Of course, Moby has gone through 2 clock springs already too. :crazyeyes:

Sounds to me like it's made in the same building as the teraflex tire carrier.....doesn't seem like a quality part.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds to me like it's made in the same building as the teraflex tire carrier.....doesn't seem like a quality part.

OUCH :cheesy:

Yeah, I think I've gone through at least one on all my JK's. The clock spring tape is very thin and from what it looks like, a build up of dust can cause the resin to wear off and that allows the copper leads to short. I suppose if you just did a lot of straight-ish driving, it would last a long time. Unfortunately, mountain driving and wheeling have a way of keeping me turning my steering wheel :crazyeyes:

HILLZ

I suppose if you just did a lot of straight-ish driving, it would last a long time. Unfortunately, mountain driving and wheeling have a way of keeping me turning my steering wheel :crazyeyes:

Try driving over instead of round Eddie.:cheesy:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
OUCH :cheesy:

Yeah, I think I've gone through at least one on all my JK's. The clock spring tape is very thin and from what it looks like, a build up of dust can cause the resin to wear off and that allows the copper leads to short. I suppose if you just did a lot of straight-ish driving, it would last a long time. Unfortunately, mountain driving and wheeling have a way of keeping me turning my steering wheel :crazyeyes:

Since apparently you've seen quite a bit of them, do you think there is something a person can do to prevent this from killing a replacement clockspring? Add silicone to the outside of the resin?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Try driving over instead of round Eddie.:cheesy:

Badum!! He'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen. Try the veal. :D

:cheesy: :clap2:

Since apparently you've seen quite a bit of them, do you think there is something a person can do to prevent this from killing a replacement clockspring? Add silicone to the outside of the resin?

Not sure. There's not a whole lot of space inside the clock spring unit and I don't know if I'd be so eager to take apart a brand new one just to test it out. They are still about $300 and you'd still need to take apart the steering wheel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, decided to have the dealership do the work being that I needed to get my 2nd key reprogrammed anyway and I've been super busy getting ready for SEMA and.... when I went to pick it up, the service advisor tells me that I've got a new P0731 code which is a "Set - 1st gear ratio error". They said that my Jeep would only run in 2nd gear and that they didn't know what was going on - LOL!! For those of you with 2012's and up that don't know, this is caused by a re-gear and your computer not programmed for it. In other words, when they scanned Rubicat's computer, it cleared the system and this is put her into limp mode. Guess these guys don't get to work on too many JK's that have been modified :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
BTW, decided to have the dealership do the work being that I needed to get my 2nd key reprogrammed anyway and I've been super busy getting ready for SEMA and.... when I went to pick it up, the service advisor tells me that I've got a new P0731 code which is a "Set - 1st gear ratio error". They said that my Jeep would only run in 2nd gear and that they didn't know what was going on - LOL!! For those of you with 2012's and up that don't know, this is caused by a re-gear and your computer not programmed for it. In other words, when they scanned Rubicat's computer, it cleared the system and this is put her into limp mode. Guess these guys don't get to work on too many JK's that have been modified :crazyeyes:

Thats a pain in the ass. I hate when dealers do sh!t without asking. Maybe you should get that daystar OBDII cover that says DO NOT FLASH.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a pain in the ass. I hate when dealers do sh!t without asking. Maybe you should get that daystar OBDII cover that says DO NOT FLASH.

LOL!! It's all good. I went in knowing that they would flash the computer, I just figured they would know why my Jeep went into limp mode. I mean, these guys were really dumbfounded by what they were seeing. It's just kinda silly for a dealership to not to know what happened.

Top Bottom