Jeep JK Wrangler Ignition Switch Problem - Bump to the Keys Stopped My Motor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would this be like the GM problem and prevent the air bags to deploy? not trying to cause fear, just curious..

Honestly, I'm not sure. The whole thing was kind of a mystery. I don't know if I would have even taken the time to post this up had I not been able to reproduce the problem immediately after it first occurred. With any luck, this was just an isolated incident.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Honestly, I'm not sure. The whole thing was kind of a mystery. I don't know if I would have even taken the time to post this up had I not been able to reproduce the problem immediately after it first occurred. With any luck, this was just an isolated incident.

I hear you, I'm not sure if they changed ignition switches around the time of the new interior design, but I would imagine if there was a problem, it wouldn't be instantaneous. But definitely something to be aware of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should also note that of the 2 keys that I got with my 2012 JK, the first is no longer able to start the motor. It'll open the doors and the lights will turn on but that's it. Now, I know this is because there is a problem with key no longer syncing up with the Jeep, but what caused this to happen is a mystery to me. I just hope my 2nd key isn't going out too. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealership and at least try to have my first key re-programmed or replaced :rolleyes2:

DA RUNT

This reminds me of the time a large pot hole shut my cruise control off on hwy 5 scared the crap outta me :grayno: dam re coils

The cruise would cut out on our 12 when we hit bumps on the freeway in Hawaii. Some of the worst roads and highways I've ever driven on. The state should give you an allowance for the wear and tear

Panda

I should also note that of the 2 keys that I got with my 2012 JK, the first is no longer able to start the motor. It'll open the doors and the lights will turn on but that's it. Now, I know this is because there is a problem with key no longer syncing up with the Jeep, but what caused this to happen is a mystery to me. I just hope my 2nd key isn't going out too. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealership and at least try to have my first key re-programmed or replaced :rolleyes2:

This is good stuff to know! I found out the hard way if you loose your key and have no spare it can cost hundreds to Get a key made, I lost my spare key for my 2013 during our move, then last Sunday I lost my other key :grayno: I went to the dealer to see if I could get one made off the vin and they said I must have it towed in and it would be $300 for a new key, that's plus towing $ so I got a mobile locksmith to come out, it was $350 for a new electronic key $200 for a plain key, when the key was made even though it would open the door and turn the ignition it still would not start the jeep, it had to be programmed to the jeep to start it, the locksmith was also able to disable the old keys on his little computer so only the new one will work, so note for you guys don't go with only one key have a spare made while you still have one :yup:

jesse3638

Hooked
That is very good to know and, to be fair, I don't think you have that much on your keychain.

Dumb question because I've never tried it...but can you restart an auto in neutral while it's moving and then shift it into drive? I'm thinking it may have to be in park with your foot on the brake to start.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can start an auto in neutral while rolling. It's a long story but I did it in my old car 4 times in a matter of 5 mins lol[/QUOTE]

Damn that must be some kind of record...;) I wouldn't need 5 mins..haha

Top Bottom