Jeep JL driveshafts

BCwillys

So I'm collecting all the parts I need to do my 2.5" lift kit in my 2022 Willys sport 2 door. I've seen some information about replacing the front driveshaft after a lift but I'm curious if the JL is like the older 2 doors and will require a rear driveshaft due to the angle caused by the short wheelbase. I had to do it on my XJ and TJ but wasn't able to find any info regarding the JL. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BCwillys

As far as the front driveshaft, it doesn't rotate in 2wd unlike previous models because the JL front axle has a FAD.
Makes sense. Although during the winter our highways are packed snow and ice so I'll need to be in 4 high quite often. I'll have to wait and see how it feels. Hoping the rear shaft doesn't get driveline vibes like my lifted Tj

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With just 2.5" of lift, you'll most likely be fine for a long time. Being that you have a 2-door, your rear shaft will most likely need to be replaced first being that it's shorter and the CV boots will be in a constant state of pinch. But again, I bet you can make it go for some time. As mentioned by WJCO, the front won't spin in 2WD so it'll do well too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Makes sense. Although during the winter our highways are packed snow and ice so I'll need to be in 4 high quite often. I'll have to wait and see how it feels. Hoping the rear shaft doesn't get driveline vibes like my lifted Tj
Being that JL's use rzeppa joints, it will not vibrate unless you lose a weight or bang it up enough to get it out of balance.

Top Bottom