Jeep vs Sports Car

GCM 2

......Did you park the BMW in front of Fred Flinstone's house? :cheesy:

Actually, yes! On the long straight drive off of I-40 heading north to the South rim visitors center of the Grand Canyon there is a little campground and that is whole theme, The Flinstones.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Actually, yes! On the long straight drive off of I-40 heading north to the South rim visitors center of the Grand Canyon there is a little campground and that is whole theme, The Flinstones.

Stop making stuff up Greg. Everyone knows they lived in Bedrock and, although they might be a modern stone age family, they are really right out of history. ;)

Sorry for the hijack...back on track...

My neighbor recently purchased a MB SLK55 AMG. I actually prefer MB's bigger convertible, but at over 400 HP and almost 400 lbs of torque it is a blast to drive!

GCM 2

I would love that Z06!:rock:

The Z06 is definitely the fastest car I have owned, never found its limit. Lots of work to that motor, 630 HP at the rear wheels, well over 700 at the motor. The car could break the tires loose at highway speeds for as long as needed with just one down shift. It saw a little over 180mph on a long road in Texas, it was scary, the car still had plenty left on the top end when i decided to lift.....I put a full roll cage in it so I would at least be able to eat through a drinking straw when all went bad at some point. I was on my way to Laguna Seca in that photo. The BMW was the big luxury sleeper, before I had it tuned it came stock with 500hp and was insanely fun. After the tune, it was capable of eating any stock Porsche, Z06, Mustang etc. without breaking a sweat. The best was it could cruise at 150+ mph with four people that didn't even realize they were moving at that speed, well maybe that wasn't a good thing :icon_crazy: I would track the car at a few race courses around here and lap people with three passengers along for the ride. The cobra was like living a 1960's death trip every time you wanted to think about going fast. That car needed respect every time you even looked at it or it would get away from you! I can't believe guys raced these for 24hr events, those cats had some huge cajones! It was definitely waiting to kill me.

JeepJK4832

I'm still pretty new to the Jeep world since I've only had my JK for 6 months, but I think I'll take a Jeep over a sport car any day of the week. I've always loved sports cars from American Muscle to imports and have owned some of each, but none of them could get me where my Jeep can. Plus here in the states you can't use their full potential like you can with a JK. It was different when I was stationed in Germany and had the Autobahn, but now I have trails and my JK and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Tackerdown

Banned
I haven't looked back yet. you can't really call this a sports car but its pretty close. VW GLI Fahrenheit edition. The previous muscle car was a 1975 Chevy Monza 2+2 bored out with a little 450 holly on it loved that little hatch back.
Nate's homecoming and bon fire 2010 070.jpg

htweelz

I've always been a car nut. I have a 2001 Mustang GT convertible and a 1968 Mustang GT coupe along with my Jeep and a 1997 F-150. They all serve different purposes. My Jeep is my daily though.

FeltsYouUp

If I do decide to keep the jeep for the long haul, then I'll probably start saving money and looking at a fox body mustang or something like that. If I decide to go for another older classic car, then I'll do my best to find one that hasn't had too many major modifcications done to it. The 66 mustang coupe I have right now has a 5.0 EFI swap done to it, but I've had so many headaches trying to track down little issues with the car that I can't really enjoy it. :mad:

nyglt56

Just build the jeep for speed...I personally have a si hatch, it's a track car. Back when they were epic at handling. My brother has an s2k which is obnoxiously quick on the track. Right now my jeep is built to take corners a lot faster than it should.

Once I commission however, I'll be looking for an e46 m3. 50:50 weight distribution for a track day car.

TLAW719

this is a tough one. ive had a few sports cars and love them but i have been offroading all my life be it trucks or dirt bikes. i am currently in a strugle with myself on selling my 11 suzuki gsxr 1000 to help fund getting a 12 or 13 JKUR. i want to sell the bike but im worried come spring and summer i will regret selling it. i have no idea what to do:sigh::thinking::idontknow:

ProtocolJK

I am the proud owner of a 95 mustang, 95 xj and a 12 jku rubicon. I love both vehicles and during the summer find myself debating on which to drive, but if I was forced to choose one I'd go with one of my jeeps in a heart beat!

cuongdyna

The Z06 is definitely the fastest car I have owned, never found its limit. Lots of work to that motor, 630 HP at the rear wheels, well over 700 at the motor. The car could break the tires loose at highway speeds for as long as needed with just one down shift. It saw a little over 180mph on a long road in Texas, it was scary, the car still had plenty left on the top end when i decided to lift.....I put a full roll cage in it so I would at least be able to eat through a drinking straw when all went bad at some point. I was on my way to Laguna Seca in that photo. The BMW was the big luxury sleeper, before I had it tuned it came stock with 500hp and was insanely fun. After the tune, it was capable of eating any stock Porsche, Z06, Mustang etc. without breaking a sweat. The best was it could cruise at 150+ mph with four people that didn't even realize they were moving at that speed, well maybe that wasn't a good thing :icon_crazy: I would track the car at a few race courses around here and lap people with three passengers along for the ride. The cobra was like living a 1960's death trip every time you wanted to think about going fast. That car needed respect every time you even looked at it or it would get away from you! I can't believe guys raced these for 24hr events, those cats had some huge cajones! It was definitely waiting to kill me.

You say that the BMW can eat up a Shock C5Z06 or a C6Z06? I'm asking because a shock C6Z06 is a different beast, C5Z06 400HP 3100lb and the C6Z06 505hp at 3100lb.

nyglt56

You say that the BMW can eat up a Shock C5Z06 or a C6Z06? I'm asking because a shock C6Z06 is a different beast, C5Z06 400HP 3100lb and the C6Z06 505hp at 3100lb.

If he's talking about the m5 saloon I wouldn't doubt it. The power delivery is obnoxious on those cars.

I've even seen Amg saloons make paperweight out of a zo6. Power band on those big 4 doors are crazy.

GCM 2

My B7 Alpina BMW when stock could take a C5 Z06 without much thought. After a small amount of engine, supercharger and computer work it could beat the C6 Z06. The Alpina is in no way shape or form a normal 7 series BMW.

A C6 Z06 is a bad ride! Astonishingly it's was just harder to drive fast than the BMW. The Vette had much more throttle induced oversteer for one. My luxury barge had almost 250 ft/lbs of torque that helped too ;)

Last edited:

Blonda

This used to be our garage before Frank and I got the JK.
Frank sold the EVO and I traded the Z for the Jeep .
15739_1231859487256_2688253_n.jpg
Plan was to use my quad cab Toyota Tacoma as a daily driver to work and back. After about 2 weeks of either driving the truck or the Jeep I couldn't stand it. Immediately put the truck up for sale and bought a Mini Cooper S with stage4 Dinan (needed to have more than 2 seats). Frank still gives me a hard time sometimes for us not having a pick-up any more---but it's a hell of a lot more fun driving to work every day now (I just regret not getting another convertible) :D

The Jeep is awesome offroad, but sorry--it's not "fun" enough for me on the highway :yawn37: and driving it with the top down is nothing like the Z (that thing had the best aerodynamics).

Our next car will be a Cadillac CTS-V (newer model) but we'll keep the Jeep and the Mini too

Last edited:

FeltsYouUp

I was looking through my ImageShack account to post pictures for another tread, and I saw my old cobra. I miss this car...

dynoj.jpg

img0025lw.jpg

img0030ra.jpg

Here is the car that is currently giving me a headache. It's a love, hate relationship.

66mustang.jpg

RamP

I sold my first new car to get into the 13JKUR I'm driving today.
It was a 2006 Subaru STI. Spent lots of time at auto crosses , rally crosses , and track days. An absolute blast to drive. Especially if there were corners involved. But like the OP , I missed the Jeeps I had owned in the past.
Just realized the STI is still my avatar. Lol

Top Bottom