JK dana 30 locked and geared

Txjkjpr

I am running 4.88 gears, Eaton eLocker, Chromoly Shafts on 35". I have spent the stupid money (didn't find this site until after I did). If I had to do it all over again I would take the $850 for lockers, $200 for gears, $550 for chromoly shafts plus the $500 for labor to install gears and lockers and put into a piggy bank and saved for a PR44. $2100 bucks goes a long way toward getting a new axle.

I haven't had any trouble so far, but I know its coming. I was all set to spend more money gussets, sleeves, etc. but I got wise and am going to wheel it until it goes then upgrade.

Pyro1415

Originally I wanted a pr44 but don't want to have to upgrade it later. Not everyone warned me, a few people said 5.13/5.38 is a must for the 3.8 auto ;) more than likely I'll go 4.88 and lock just the back. Any complaints with that idea it also saves me $850. I just don't want to shove 4.88 in and think it wasn't enough.

hbkid22

As most have said I would not lock the front. I have a D30 open with 513s and run 35s on the gutless 3.8. The gears are amazing but I am gambling. Granted I don't wheel often but starting to more and more. I would not go above 513s and if you are running 37s I wouldn't go below 513s but if you run 35s you could get 488s. I'm planning on 37s so I planned for the future.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
You've done the reading and still want to do it so I say go for it. Spend all that money on a turd and hammer down. What could go wrong right?

I've spent a lot of money on well polished 'turd' axles. It was all a total waste of money and time. I've never looked back after putting ProRocks on.

Pyro1415

To everyone who keeps saying pro rock read the thread... That is my end plan however I don't have that money right now. Polishing the turd is so that I can still enjoy my jeep until then. Seems like people with the 3.8 are saying 5.13s not locked and have the credit card ready because it's only a matter of time. If it last two years and 6 trips I'll be really happy.

Oh and trust me there will be videos of everything or at least pictures of the after effects.

Bullshit! When, ( not if), it detonates you'll simply slink away in hopes nobody remembers you said this. Trust me, you aren't the first and you won't be the last.

To everyone who keeps saying pro rock read the thread... That is my end plan however I don't have that money right now. Polishing the turd is so that I can still enjoy my jeep until then. Seems like people with the 3.8 are saying 5.13s not locked and have the credit card ready because it's only a matter of time. If it last two years and 6 trips I'll be really happy.

It sounds like to me you don't want any advice at all. Your minds made up on what you want to do. Just do it then.....

K.D.C.H

Clearly money is an issue which is why I'm hearing you say 2 things;

1. You want to do the work yourself
2. You don't have the money for the PR44 right now and that its your end game

My question for you is, are you even listening to yourself right now?

If money is an issue and you want your axels to last then why not listen to what people are saying. Believe it or not they are trying to give you advice on how to save money by not wasting it and making your shit last.

There people on here saying they've locked the 30, installed 5:13's/5:38's and more and even though it's working for now, they know it's on the edge of going boom. The thing I can't figure out is why you're even still thinking of going the route that had the chance to go boom especially when that boom costs you more money.

jknikos

Clearly money is an issue which is why I'm hearing you say 2 things;

1. You want to do the work yourself
2. You don't have the money for the PR44 right now and that its your end game

My question for you is, are you even listening to yourself right now?

If money is an issue and you want your axels to last then why not listen to what people are saying. Believe it or not they are trying to give you advice on how to save money by not wasting it and making your shit last.

There people on here saying they've locked the 30, installed 5:13's/5:38's and more and even though it's working for now, they know it's on the edge of going boom. The thing I can't figure out is why you're even still thinking of going the route that had the chance to go boom especially when that boom costs you more money.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Pyro1415

No a pr44 isn't the end game a 60 is. Which I don't have the what $7k or so to drop into that. My brother is a certified mechanic and does gears occasionally so that's why I'm not paying a shop... If I do it at his shop with him and his tools it works. I originally wanted a pr44 but it will blow to pieces like a d30 with 37s after I shove 40s on my jeep after alaska... I simply wanted to know if anyone has personally ran this set up for a geared and locked dana 30. $1500 to 2k I can justify if it will last for a couple of years.

Pyro1415

Bullshit! When, ( not if), it detonates you'll simply slink away in hopes nobody remembers you said this. Trust me, you aren't the first and you won't be the last.

What are you saying bullshit for I never said "if" I get that it's going to blow up I just need to pay off the jeep and save some d60 money first.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No a pr44 isn't the end game a 60 is. Which I don't have the what $7k or so to drop into that. My brother is a certified mechanic and does gears occasionally so that's why I'm not paying a shop... If I do it at his shop with him and his tools it works. I originally wanted a pr44 but it will blow to pieces like a d30 with 37s after I shove 40s on my jeep after alaska... I simply wanted to know if anyone has personally ran this set up for a geared and locked dana 30. $1500 to 2k I can justify if it will last for a couple of years.

I saw go for it. Don't listen to the haters. Hell I would even put 40's on since you'll have the gearing for it and your RPM's would be really high with only 37's.

Pyro1415

Look guys if I had the money right now I'd drop my jeep off at a shop and tell them I want the 6.2ls3 , pr60 front, pr80 back and 1350 driveshafts. But I'm just a lowly e4 with 2 kids so money goes to them them it goes to the jeep with whatever is left. I'm only running 37s because they were cheaper than 33s in germany because of an order mess up. All of my parts have been paid for by selling or making my own. With the exception of my $800 in total cost lift kit. I was just optimistically hoping that a few people would tell me 5.13 and locked d30 won't instantaneously blow up and I could still enjoy my jeep with it. Guess I'll go gears and leave it open and just lock my 44. Unless I see a hella deal on some rubi takeoffs or someone upgrading from a pr44.

Pyro1415

I saw go for it. Don't listen to the haters. Hell I would even put 40's on since you'll have the gearing for it and your RPM's would be really high with only 37's.

I have the 3.8 auto recommended gearing for 37s is 5.38... No can't do 40s yet I need a bigger lift and the km2s are brand new. Thanks for the sarcastic encouragement though. Although, if the 40s break the axle on the road I can place an insurance claim and I'll have like $2500 off my d60

jknikos

Look guys if I had the money right now I'd drop my jeep off at a shop and tell them I want the 6.2ls3 , pr60 front, pr80 back and 1350 driveshafts. But I'm just a lowly e4 with 2 kids so money goes to them them it goes to the jeep with whatever is left. I'm only running 37s because they were cheaper than 33s in germany because of an order mess up. All of my parts have been paid for by selling or making my own. With the exception of my $800 in total cost lift kit. I was just optimistically hoping that a few people would tell me 5.13 and locked d30 won't instantaneously blow up and I could still enjoy my jeep with it. Guess I'll go gears and leave it open and just lock my 44. Unless I see a hella deal on some rubi takeoffs or someone upgrading from a pr44.
Same thing happened here in Greece. For some reason 37inch BFGs are very cheap and in stock. They are even cheaper than 33s as you said. So a lot of my trail buddies bought 37s. But they discovered afterwards that you need to invest a lo of money on a jk sport in order to run 37s properly and be able to wheel the shit out of it.:doh: 5.13s open is a way more reliable choice than 5.38s locked. Either way you are taking your d30 to its limits. It may never break, it may break at your first wheelin trip :idontknow: People here are trying to tell you that what you ask is one of the most discussed issues on a jk. And there are hundreds of people who have broken their d30 after investing some money on it and regret it.:beer:

Oh and by the way. You leave in Germany and you have a 3.8 or a crd?

Last edited:
I have the 3.8 auto recommended gearing for 37s is 5.38... No can't do 40s yet I need a bigger lift and the km2s are brand new. Thanks for the sarcastic encouragement though. Although, if the 40s break the axle on the road I can place an insurance claim and I'll have like $2500 off my d60

You're talking about 90rpm at 70mph there. I wouldn't want you to lose any more power in the 3.8 :thinking:

Pyro1415

Same thing happened here in Greece. For some reason 37inch BFGs are very cheap and in stock. They are even cheaper than 33s as you said. So a lot of my trail buddies bought 37s. But they discovered afterwards that you need to invest a lo of money on a jk sport in order to run 37s properly and be able to wheel the shit out of it.:doh: 5.13s open is a way more reliable choice than 5.38s locked. Either way you are taking your d30 to its limits. It may never break, it may break at your first wheelin trip :idontknow: People here are trying to tell you that what you ask is one of the most discussed issues on a jk. And there are hundreds of people who have broken their d30 after investing some money on it and regret it.:beer:

Yeah I paid 180 euro each. I've wheel it twice since and they're awesome. Well I saw them as a 35 since the weight is close to most 35s and mine measure 35.5" tall. I knew what I was getting into I just need some power and I've been in about 6 situations where it's like sh!t I need a locker.

Top Bottom