JK steering issues

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So after jacking this back up and looking at some more threads I noticed the front track bar bushing and bolt on drivers side would move around when i turned the wheel. I was told this was an issue with the stock bolts being to small. So I ordered and adjustable track bar, with the upgraded M14 bolt kit as well as a new terra flex front steering stabilizer. I will throw this on and see if The issue is solved.....

Glad you found that one of your bolts were loose but there is nothing wrong with its size - it simply was loose. The following links should help educate you better on the matters you're dealing with.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...ade-8-Replacement-Bolts-Do-I-Really-Need-Them
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

traviswalker007

Ok so after replacing the sway bar links with jks, the adjustable track bar and the drover side lower drag link i still have some bump steer?? i jacked up front end just a little to get a bar under each tire to try and raise it and check for ball joint movement on both tires and i found nothing, no up and down movement at all. I checked the drivers side lower tie rod end and noticed that if i grab the bar and push up, the the ball joint will move up into boot a little?? i tried doing it to the other side and could not get the tie rod end to move up at all? is this normal play? i also checked the steering box linkage and no play?

Two words, ball joints

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Ok so after replacing the sway bar links with jks, the adjustable track bar and the drover side lower drag link i still have some bump steer?? i jacked up front end just a little to get a bar under each tire to try and raise it and check for ball joint movement on both tires and i found nothing, no up and down movement at all. I checked the drivers side lower tie rod end and noticed that if i grab the bar and push up, the the ball joint will move up into boot a little?? i tried doing it to the other side and could not get the tie rod end to move up at all? is this normal play? i also checked the steering box linkage and no play?

Your tie rods will “swivel” but up and down movement is not normal. That may be your issue, I was referring to the axle ball joints tho. When I got death wobble I only had 13,000 miles on Brick with stock tires and couldn’t believe it was the ball joints. They seemed fine by plain sight. I went so far as to remove my lift and put completely back to stock. Even got a set of new steel wheels and tires from the local dodge dealer for my test. Confident it was fixed I went out for a drive and first bump..... death wobble. I finally took it apart and my lower ball joints were just hanging there all floppy like donkey dicks. Put in pro steers, lift back on, new tires on slabs with 3.5” backspacing and no wobble at all. With all that said a good tie rod is cheaper than pro steers and would be easy to try first.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sorry dude but there just isn’t enough information provided to help you diagnose and fix your problem. Bump steer and death wobble are entirely different things. Maybe start again by describing as specifically as possible the things you are experiencing and what conditions trigger them. Plenty of people here have had experience that can help you, but we need to know more precisely what your problem is.

F

Fionayeti

It's usually always the Track bar. The factory track bar mounts just can't handle larger tires, lifts, etc., and the hole rounds out and the trackball loosens and moves. While this is one scenario, there are others, but it's usually the track bar. A steering stabilizer will do nothing for you. It may look cool, but it does very little in stopping wobble. Keeping things tight, adjusted properly and replacing worn parts is key.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Tre

Sounds like you probably found the problem. You’ve pretty much replaced everything else, including the ball joints as you mentioned earlier in this thread. I would replace that suspect TRE (tie rod end) and see if the issue is corrected.

Please post a picture of it and your set-up when you have the time. That will help all of us to be able to assist if your problem persists.

-Matt

Slimebones

Sounds like you probably found the problem. You’ve pretty much replaced everything else, including the ball joints as you mentioned earlier in this thread. I would replace that suspect TRE (tie rod end) and see if the issue is corrected.

Please post a picture of it and your set-up when you have the time. That will help all of us to be able to assist if your problem persists.

-Matt

Plus, others can learn from your experience. Please pay-it-forward.

Top Bottom