JKU Winch Recommendations

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I saw in a different thread you used a larger safety hook on your TJ and wanted to go back to them. Did you every do this? Did you run into issues with the thimple getting ground on rocks? it seems like a 6" or so protrusion from the furthest point on the bumper and would get in the way a bit.

I'm still running the safety thimble that came with the Viking lines I have. These are smaller than the Factor55 things and I have mine attached to the d-ring on my bumper so it's no in the way. Don't get me wrong, they work well enough and they didn't cost me anything more to get so I'll use them until I have to replace the lines.

Wardell

I agree on the Factor 55 front. A good hook with 4 shackles on your front and rear bumper tabs seems like a more convenient and versatile solution. Do you have a convenient mounting spot for you recovery equipment? I am beginning to run out of space for gear. I already filled the space under my back seats with my HiLift jack, axe, machete, med kit, emergency dog food ect.

What I'm planning on doing is getting an after market tire carrier that will let me mount or strap down most of the large recovery items (HiLift jack, shovel, pull pal, axe, etc) outside the vehicle to free up room inside. Of course, that means anything I can't lock onto it will have to be taken off when I'm not out on the trail so no one can steal it. All my other tools and recovery items are going to be stored in pouches mounted inside the tail gate. That way, they're always out of the way yet easily accessible and not getting burred under other kit I have in the back. I haven't 100% decided what I'll be getting to make this setup yet, but probably either the Maximus-3 or AEV tire carrier (or possibly the new Crawler Concepts one, I'm waiting to hear more about that as people get theirs), and a tailgate table that lets you strap MOLLE pouches to it. Haven't decided where the Maxtrax are going yet, but they'll probably just get strapped to the spare.

Also, I agree with Eddie on changing to a deep cycle battery. I will be getting a dual battery setup, but that's more so I don't have to worry about other accessories that I'll likely add down the line rather than just for the winch. You should always have the engine running while you're winching so you really shouldn't have to worry too much about having a single battery and running it down, especially if you do go with the Zeon Platinum since it will tell you the battery level right on the remote.

By the way, I'm not sure if you heard about it yet but Warn has a rebate offer until the end of the month. $150 back on the Zeon Platinum, PowerPlant and other premium winches, and $100 back on the older Zeons and similar winches. If you're thinking about any of these it's a good time to buy.

Spudcannons

What I'm planning on doing is getting an after market tire carrier that will let me mount or strap down most of the large recovery items (HiLift jack, shovel, pull pal, axe, etc) outside the vehicle to free up room inside. Of course, that means anything I can't lock onto it will have to be taken off when I'm not out on the trail so no one can steal it. All my other tools and recovery items are going to be stored in pouches mounted inside the tail gate. That way, they're always out of the way yet easily accessible and not getting burred under other kit I have in the back. I haven't 100% decided what I'll be getting to make this setup yet, but probably either the Maximus-3 or AEV tire carrier (or possibly the new Crawler Concepts one, I'm waiting to hear more about that as people get theirs), and a tailgate table that lets you strap MOLLE pouches to it. Haven't decided where the Maxtrax are going yet, but they'll probably just get strapped to the spare.

Also, I agree with Eddie on changing to a deep cycle battery. I will be getting a dual battery setup, but that's more so I don't have to worry about other accessories that I'll likely add down the line rather than just for the winch. You should always have the engine running while you're winching so you really shouldn't have to worry too much about having a single battery and running it down, especially if you do go with the Zeon Platinum since it will tell you the battery level right on the remote.

By the way, I'm not sure if you heard about it yet but Warn has a rebate offer until the end of the month. $150 back on the Zeon Platinum, PowerPlant and other premium winches, and $100 back on the older Zeons and similar winches. If you're thinking about any of these it's a good time to buy.

Nice I may grab one then. What accessories or how many do have to add to need a second battery?

Wardell

Nice I may grab one then. What accessories or how many do have to add to need a second battery?

That all depends on what the combined power draw would be. If you're putting a ton of light bars on like a SEMA show Jeep and use them for long periods, then you might need a battery just for those. lol

I'm really just planning on using mine for a fridge, lights, and maybe a pump for onboard water, etc while in camp overnight. That way my cranking battery will always have a full charge to start up with in the morning.

Top Bottom