Johnny Joint Rust

JohnnyD

Well...I did a torque check a re-grease....all my johnnies are rusted....all of them

Man I just put them in....REALLY?!?! Wtf!! Man Neast is the return to dust capital....

Whatever....greased em up...no more sqeekin....so be it!

Wanna here something funny....RK's heim on the front track bar...not a spot of rust...go figure...not trying to start any kinda problem just saying what's happening...like I said in the Neast everything will rust..eventually...

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well...I did a torque check a re-grease....all my johnnies are rusted....all of them

Man I just put them in....REALLY?!?! Wtf!! Man Neast is the return to dust capital....

Whatever....greased em up...no more sqeekin....so be it!

Wanna here something funny....RK's heim on the front track bar...not a spot of rust...go figure...not trying to start any kinda problem just saying what's happening...like I said in the Neast everything will rust..eventually...

Not surprised. The Johnny joint is zinc coated. (In China I would assume).

Rockkrawler uses a FK heims. They are made in the U.S. It's not a cheap part.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not surprised. The Johnny joint is zinc coated. (In China I would assume).

Rockkrawler uses a FK heims. They are made in the U.S. It's not a cheap part.

This ^^^

That being said, the joints RK uses on their control arms aren't FK's and I would take a Johnny Joint over them any day of the week. Of course, out here in the west, rust isn't an issue.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
This ^^^ That being said, the joints RK uses on their control arms aren't FK's and I would take a Johnny Joint over them any day of the week. Of course, out here in the west, rust isn't an issue.
What Eddie said. Not bashing RK, but FK heims are of a noticeably better quality than the RK joints. RK recently redesigned their joints so that they are a elastomeric type joint, that I guess you could say is sort of related to the metal cloak joints. I'd prefer Johnny joints or the FK heims over the new RK joints.

I certainly do not miss the corrosive winters we had in the north east. Eats everything up.

mackey

Here in Idaho, rust is the new black. I feel your pain. I'm sure mine will be the same after this winter. Let me know if you come up with solutions.

JohnnyD

The only solution or ...um..stop gap I can think of is just to make sure their coated with a water resistant grease of some kind. For where we live this is the only choice, it is a bit of maintenance but I don't think we are going to prevent it, just discourage it lol....

The climate is everything, we go from extreme to extreme and everywhere in between in the Neast...90's and humid to 70's and dry to 50's with rain, to -0-20's with blizzards and back around again, gunna be real difficult to eliminate, keeping at bay best we got unless we start using rust proof materials.

WD makes a water resistant spray I will try...someone also mentioned linseed oil..give her a coating twice a year kinda makes sense I guess

Recurve

Yeah, its just a routine maintenance keeping up with rust. The best way is not to daily your jeep, keep it in the garage in the winter time.
Anytime your out in the winter rinse it off, keep the salt at bay.
My KING 2.0 shocks are not even a year old, the zinc coating is shot, an they are very rusty.
The shocks look like the been sitting on a rig for 10 years.
It is what it is I guess. Yeah im moving out west lol.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Yeah, its just a routine maintenance keeping up with rust. The best way is not to daily your jeep, keep it in the garage in the winter time.
My KING 2.0 shocks are not even a year old, the zinc coating is shot, an they are very rusty.

This is what I want to do lol. I worry about it when I switch to coilovers, but I dont think it should be too bad. Next time im going to take much better care of the jeep during winter.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

That's what I did, sold that east coast jeep as soon as I could !!

Recurve

This is what I want to do lol. I worry about it when I switch to coilovers, but I dont think it should be too bad. Next time im going to take much better care of the jeep during winter.
Yeah honestly, I wanted coilovers really bad... But just watching my KING shocks rust away in a matter of months, I'm holding off till I get a nice insulated garage.
Then I can clean the coilovers an keep them out of the weather.
See problem is im OCD , I HATE mud,grim, winter slush,salt on my jeep. I noticed I'm getting a little bit of surface rust everywhere on my frame.
I really want to take it to a professional an have my whole body redone an then coated.
You know the east coast is a crappy place for jeeps when your already thinking about restoring a JK... I mean come on! lol

That's what I did, sold that east coast jeep as soon as I could !!
Yeah, there's a voice in the back of my head that says sell everything an start fresh out west!!!!!:yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I feel the coilovers shouldnt be as bad tho, I mean ive had enough sets on my cars and they have held up. I have a plan tho with some stuff eastwood sells if I get them. Its made to protect polished metal and gives it a coating so I am not too worried.

Recurve

I feel the coilovers shouldnt be as bad tho, I mean ive had enough sets on my cars and they have held up. I have a plan tho with some stuff eastwood sells if I get them. Its made to protect polished metal and gives it a coating so I am not too worried.

Yeah I had a nice set of coilovers on my s2000 that held up well, But I didnt drive it in the winter time lol. My JKU is my daily right now till I find something cheap to daily. Im thinking a stock XJ would be nice to daily.

SaddleTramp

I'm with Drew, can't see how the treated surface of the joint would corrode that fast, seems more from the hole/pin area. Regardless, anyone try some good gun lube like Fireclean for rust/corrosion protection.

I guess you could go old school and coat them in cosmoline...;-)

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I forget what the stuff is, was told about it when dealing with rusted coilovers on a car I purchased, and lots of motorcycle guys use it and its an aviation grade anti corrosive coating. If I can find whatever that was I will post it up and prolly use that once I get around to cleaning up the joints and stuff.

I have thought about using this before, but always forget when I am at the shop to just buy a can.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-metaprotect-14-oz-aerosol.html

Top Bottom