KEEPIN IT COOL : MOBY'S New MoTECH Modifications

trplxj

That’s awesome that the JL fan worked out for you. Every time I hear a JL fan running I wonder how well it would fit in my WJ. I currently don’t have any over hearing issues, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sweet!!! So cool that the fan works harder and pulls more air then the camaro one did. Glad to see the temp results are working as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, that is awesome. Great idea with the JL fan, they are monsters. Pretty cool idea for the trans cooler and while I think it will hold up well too, I hope it does. Glad to see moby getting all this love, one bad ass Jeep!

Yeah, been long overdue. Moby is 12 years old now and he's starting to show it. Hoping all this love will get him running like new again. :yup:

Big brother taking a page from little brother. Awesome. And why am I not surprised you guys pushed him over 100mph. But I just say, the fact that you were able to safely drive at that speed is a testament to the work that ORE does and the quality of their designs. Super cool.

LOL - it's what family does and yes ORE does good work :)

Sweet. Thanks. Very affordable too. I have another Winter project now.
I have 2 OEM coolers as well but going uphill in the summer with gear/tools, larger tires, etc, I can feel a ton heat from the tunnel that I didn't used to.

These coolers do solve the problem of where to put more cooling. Hope they work out for you as well :)

Glad they got it to work!!! I’m excited to see how the transmission coolers survive the JKX

Me too. If all goes well, this will be a great solution for others :)

Nice with the 37s I’m having to turn off AC on long climbs now . Do you have recommendations or links to what you used to run for trans cooler ? Would buy off that if it would help the forum . Also what is that temp gauge ? I hate how the favorite Gauge is fake and doesn’t move until its already hot and jumps straight to 3/4 . Any other tips to keep things cooler ?

How hot are you getting? The JK with a 3.6L likes to run hot and having to turn off the AC to keep things cool on a long climb is kinda normal.

That gauge is the Aeroforce gauge. I love mine and keep it set the same way Eddie does with trans and oil temps. It makes you a bit OCD always checking them, but it’s good to know exactly how it’s preforming. For oil on a 90+ day on the highway, I’ll run around 220-230 up long grades and hold around 210 flat. Trans will run around 198-210 on grades and usually holds at 192. That’s doing 75 for sustained periods of time with the AC on. On cool days it’s usually 176 trans and 204 oil. Great little tool. It’s interesting, with the top and AC off and the numbers are the same. A lot more drag with it opened up. On the trail at slow speeds it usually holds at 167 and 201.

Yup, it's an Aeroforce gauge. Works well :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s outstanding! Is the JL fan a lot louder than the Camero fan? My dads JL 2.0 L fan sounds like a small plane taking off when it ramps up.

When it's spinning at full speed, yeah, way louder :crazyeyes:

I’m glad to hear that the trans is staying cooler [emoji106]

Me too :)

Hmmmmm....

LOL - giving you some ideas? :D

Trans cooler makes a big difference in fluid temps...wait until you get that oil cooler hooked up...your coolant temps should lower also.

I’ve got fans on large oil & trans coolers on my JK6...I’ve never seen coolant temps over 212 or trans temps over 190...but I also don’t have ac (there was no room for it in the engine bay...

Can’t wait to see pics from the last JKX run...good luck!

Yup, it's helped a lot and really, I'm kind of glad that we weren't able to get the oil cooler hooked up. Now I know we'd be running cool enough for my taste without it. With it, it'll only be better. :yup:

Eddie, thanks for posting this and thanks that you [inadvertently] helped me make huge strides in all the issues I’m having with my build.

I have two threads on here about some overheating issues I had on my trip to Moab last month as well as some performance issues with the LS. Because Moby was at Motech at the same time as mine and had a similar build (similar, not exact...we covered this) Robbie was able to do some side by side testing. The result was him acknowledging that there is in fact something going on with it. He loaded your tune in mine and Moby is noticeably quicker/more responsive.

Anyway, glad this helped the cooling issues and looking forward to getting mine back with similar updates. Also hoping they find the issue that is causing the sluggishness but confident they will.

I was talking to Robbie about your issues and I think he's got a pretty good idea of where to start looking. Being that we have similar setups, I think you'd be pretty happy with what I'm feeling on Moby.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will add this to the list of parts to buy when I do the motor swap. Glad it keeps it cooler!

No lie, Moby is now running as cool as our JL or JT. I really think this is the winning combination :yup:

No pun intended :D

The JL fan means business. Looking forward to the JKX highlights.

LOL - yes it does :D

That’s awesome that the JL fan worked out for you. Every time I hear a JL fan running I wonder how well it would fit in my WJ. I currently don’t have any over hearing issues, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

It's a pretty big unit but if you could make it fit, I think you'd be happy with it's performance.

Sweet!!! So cool that the fan works harder and pulls more air then the camaro one did. Glad to see the temp results are working as well.

Thanks! Pretty happy with what we're seeing :)

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Is your new fan assembly for a JL 3.6? I thought I had read somewhere that the fan blades on a 3.6 are different than the blades on a 2.0. Either way it is so cool to see Moby getting all of this attention.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Yeah, been long overdue. Moby is 12 years old now and he's starting to show it. Hoping all this love will get him running like new again. :yup:

LOL - it's what family does and yes ORE does good work :)

These coolers do solve the problem of where to put more cooling. Hope they work out for you as well :)

Me too. If all goes well, this will be a great solution for others :)

How hot are you getting? The JK with a 3.6L likes to run hot and having to turn off the AC to keep things cool on a long climb is kinda normal.

Yup, it's an Aeroforce gauge. Works well :)

Nice I’ll look into Aeroforce . Hitting 3/4 on the stock temp gauge about 5 times on the way up to Lake Tahoe from SF . Turning off AC and blasting heat brings it back to center but would love to go faster than 60 or 55 going up with AC on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an actual size difference between the JK and JL fan diameter or just blade/programming differences?

I think the diameter is the same but the thickness of the blades look bigger. Certainly, the housing is bigger and it also comes with a bigger shroud. In fact, it's been a while but I'm not even sure if the JK even has a shroud. Programming is different as well.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Would the JL fan work as a replacement for a JK if the JK fan fails? It's probably expensive enough that it's not practical just for "Upgrading's" sake, but if my fan ever failed, it'd be interesting to know the bigger JL fan is an option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would the JL fan work as a replacement for a JK if the JK fan fails? It's probably expensive enough that it's not practical just for "Upgrading's" sake, but if my fan ever failed, it'd be interesting to know the bigger JL fan is an option.

I don't think so or at least, not on a JK with a 3.6L. The Pentastar works off of a different programming. This is why Motech typically uses a Camaro fan. Fortunately, the JL fan works like a GM fan and so they were able to just bolt it right up.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I don't think so or at least, not on a JK with a 3.6L. The Pentastar works off of a different programming. This is why Motech typically uses a Camaro fan. Fortunately, the JL fan works like a GM fan and so they were able to just bolt it right up.

Cool, thanks for sharing the info!

jeeeep

Hooked
those Derale type dual pass coolers are great!

Moby's temps dropped significantly!

When I drove to Moab a couple of weeks ago I wish I would've recorded the JL temperatures, they seemed a bit high 240ish on cooling and transmission I think was 190+. still got 18mpg @95mph! LOL

I'm leaning hard to doing an LS swap on my JK and keeping the JL stock :thinking:

Then i ask myself, why do i need 2 Jeeps?? oh yeah, i have extra wheels/tires that need something to be put on :cheesy:

I am running the same 6.0 and 6l80 setup from motech in my jku. Is the additional trans cooler plumbed into the return line from the other trans cooler on the radiator? I want to do this also since I’m having the same heat issues.

Exodus 4x4

I am running the same 6.0 and 6l80 setup from motech in my jku. Is the additional trans cooler plumbed into the return line from the other trans cooler on the radiator? I want to do this also since I’m having the same heat issues.

It is. I ran a secondary cooler on mine but it’s not the same style. It’s actually a Derale cooler with 2 SPAL fans on it that’s wired to my SwitchPros. It works extremely well. You can mount that setup almost anywhere. Mine is mounted where the gas tank used to be.

Top Bottom