KO2s 35s or 37s?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's the size of the tire that makes the biggest difference. Weight matters but nowhere near as much. The taller tire is basically regearing you with a lower gear ratio. Basically what it will mean for you is kiss 6th gear goodbye. Probably 5th as well. They will only be overdrive, absolutely 0 pull left in them. It will be similar to you 35s on 3.21 gearing.

This ^^^

Weight is the least of your concerns. A bigger tire is essentially a gear and changing this WILL change the performance of your Jeep - make it more sluggish. Also, the tire sizes you see on manufacturers websites are a joke. The side they show are what you would see on a tire fully inflated, measured to the furthest edge and without the weight of a vehicle on it. The following link will give you a better idea of what real tire sizes come up to:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database

Learo2000GT

Thanks for all the info guys. Now I am on the fence about getting the KO2s in a 37. I really don't want to mess with a gear change in the near future. I see a lot of post about 37s and gear change in the near future. Being I have a 2013 with 3.6 and 4.11 in manual would the gear difference be not as noticeable the 3.8 or 2011 back Jeeps. Guess what I am getting at is I see post about gears but little discussion of the difference between the 3.6 and 3.8. Is there a gear calculator that would take into consideration of factors. I am probally just trying to figure out ways to justify the purchase. Thanks again for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am probally just trying to figure out ways to justify the purchase.

So then, just do it and deal with whatever comes your way.

What I can tell you is that I've run 37's with 4.10 gears with a 3.8L and a 3.6L. While it can be done, you WILL feel a loss in power - there's just no way around it. Only YOU can determine if it's something you can live with or not.

Learo2000GT

So then, just do it and deal with whatever comes your way.

What I can tell you is that I've run 37's with 4.10 gears with a 3.8L and a 3.6L. While it can be done, you WILL feel a loss in power - there's just no way around it. Only YOU can determine if it's something you can live with or not.

Thanks for saying that and you are right. Just need to quit obsessing and do it. I don't think I will regret the tires. Right now I have gobs of power and if I need a gear change later I will do it. Biggest thing was mitigating possible axel damage and rubbing issues. I think I have that covered as well as could be covered with axel truss with c gusset, synergy ball joints, rear axel is set back so no worries on rubbing rails, flaws fenders and so on. So in the big picture of things it sounds like the worse case is some loss of power which can be offset later with a gear change.

Learo2000GT

Well I think I know what is going to put my mind at ease is I am getting them at Costco and I looked up there return policy and I can return them if I am not happy with the purchase. I don't see any exceptions for tires. Don't get me wrong I am not going to be an asshat and drive them for a week and ask to exchange for 35s. I would know on day one if I had an issue and would be out the price of install which is 17 bucks a tire.

What 37s are u running and do u have the 3.6 or 3.8. After looking at that true tire size link the KO2s actuall size are right at 35.

Nitto trail grapplers. They're probably closer to 35+ and some change when mounted and loaded. 3.6 engine. I ran 35's trail grapplers for a while on my sport 3.73 gears and it was just a straight dog on the road. Auto shifting was all confused...regeared to 4.88 thinking I wouldn't go to 37s, and it was much better. Then went to 37's of course...while its perfectly fine with my setup, I just wish I had gone straight to 5.13 out of the gate. I will not regear again until I go front and rear prorock 60's and 40's [emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for saying that and you are right. Just need to quit obsessing and do it. I don't think I will regret the tires. Right now I have gobs of power and if I need a gear change later I will do it. Biggest thing was mitigating possible axel damage and rubbing issues. I think I have that covered as well as could be covered with axel truss with c gusset, synergy ball joints, rear axel is set back so no worries on rubbing rails, flaws fenders and so on. So in the big picture of things it sounds like the worse case is some loss of power which can be offset later with a gear change.

LOL!! A truss, c-gussetts and ball joints won't do squat to prevent an axle shaft or ring and pinion break. You can drive just fine with a bent housing but if you actually play hard with your Jeep, 37's will put a lot of strain on your internal components and if they go, you can be left high and dry.

What 37s are u running and do u have the 3.6 or 3.8. After looking at that true tire size link the KO2s actuall size are right at 35.

If there's one thing that you're obsessing about and really need to get over, it's "true tire size". When manufacturers talk about tire size in regards to lifts, they are referring to what's written on the sidewall - NOT the "true tire size". When talking about what gear you should run with what tire size, we are again, talking about what is written on the sidewall - NOT the "true tire size". In other words, when you read a chart and it says you should run 5.13's with a 37" tire, the chart is referring to a tire that says 37" on the sidewall but has a "true tire size" of about 35".

Learo2000GT

Wanted to thanks for all of the information and education. This I can see is a great forum that is based on knowledge and facts. I posted a similar question on a different forum and the responses where all about the looks of the tire and the cool factor. Thanks again and big thumbs up.

Draconianwinter

Wanted to thanks for all of the information and education. This I can see is a great forum that is based on knowledge and facts. I posted a similar question on a different forum and the responses where all about the looks of the tire and the cool factor. Thanks again and big thumbs up.

This one thing you will find on most of the forums outside of here as I did as well. Seems most of them never bother to tell you anything relevant as long as it looks cool it is a great idea. Here however, while it may not be put in the most polite way, they will still give you accurate advise here, and you will find that with the people here most anything you could look at putting on your jeep has probably been used by someone who can give the good and bad of most ideas you may be having.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Learo2000GT

This one thing you will find on most of the forums outside of here as I did as well. Seems most of them never bother to tell you anything relevant as long as it looks cool it is a great idea. Here however, while it may not be put in the most polite way, they will still give you accurate advise here, and you will find that with the people here most anything you could look at putting on your jeep has probably been used by someone who can give the good and bad of most ideas you may be having.

I can respect that no problems. I have been on car enthusiasts forums for a long time and I have found that knowledge can be hard to find in a lot of forums and I am not conceaned with how the information is handed out and a lot of times it takes a firm response to stop run on nonsense posts. So big thumbs up in my book.

Draconianwinter

I can respect that no problems. I have been on car enthusiasts forums for a long time and I have found that knowledge can be hard to find in a lot of forums and I am not conceaned with how the information is handed out and a lot of times it takes a firm response to stop run on nonsense posts. So big thumbs up in my book.

Yep[emoji106]

Well I think I know what is going to put my mind at ease is I am getting them at Costco and I looked up there return policy and I can return them if I am not happy with the purchase. I don't see any exceptions for tires. Don't get me wrong I am not going to be an asshat and drive them for a week and ask to exchange for 35s. I would know on day one if I had an issue and would be out the price of install which is 17 bucks a tire.

I think once you go to the 37's you're not going to want to return them you'll like them too much and not want to go smaller. the power loss issue can always be dealt with down the road. But the 37 look factor is awesome. I just pulled the plug and ordered me some 37" km2's. Can't wait for the get on the jeep.

Top Bottom