Leaking axle seals again

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Roughly how much should a shop charge me for that? Don’t wanna get screwed over.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

My best guess based on a $90hr rate (which is the rate of the plater I use in Milwaukee):
45min pre-grind $67.50
Chrome (mask & plate) $75
1hr finish grind $90
Total = $242.50ea

For comparison, the rate of my machine shop is $180/$250hr depending on the process which is typical in the industry. Add markup for the outside processing (plating) and the cost doubles

If you decide to get a quote, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Bierpower

Hooked
One thing you may look into also is what they call a repair seal. They are pretty common on semi-float rear axles. They simply move the contact patch of the seal over 1/8"-1/4" so that it's not sitting on the groove.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
My best guess based on a $90hr rate (which is the rate of the plater I use in Milwaukee):
45min pre-grind $67.50
Chrome (mask & plate) $75
1hr finish grind $90
Total = $242.50ea

For comparison, the rate of my machine shop is $180/$250hr depending on the process which is typical in the industry. Add markup for the outside processing (plating) and the cost doubles

If you decide to get a quote, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Interested to see what kinda quotes in Alabama. Hopefully I can get a good deal with one of them, we send stuff to them for repairs from work. Thanks for your information.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
1500 miles and my new seals are leaking already. 35 Spline Nitro shafts in ProRock 44.
Noticed this groove worn into shaft when I replaced them last time. Thinking that’s the cause of my leaks. Shafts have roughly 27k on them. Anyone having issues with this?

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

Have you called Dynatrac?

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Have you called Dynatrac?

I haven’t. It has Nitro axle shafts so it’s a shaft issue not the housing. I’m probably going to buy a new set of shafts and get these repaired. Most likely a different brand. It’s a driver now, sold my tow rig last week. [emoji23]

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

jesse3638

Hooked
I haven’t. It has Nitro axle shafts so it’s a shaft issue not the housing. I’m probably going to buy a new set of shafts and get these repaired. Most likely a different brand. It’s a driver now, sold my tow rig last week. [emoji23]

Sent from Lookout Mtn.
I'd go with the USA made Revolution Shafts. They come with a lifetime warranty even on the u-joints. Its what I put in my stock axle. Have you contacted Nitro to see if they'll warranty it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I'd go with the USA made Revolution Shafts. They come with a lifetime warranty even on the u-joints. Its what I put in my stock axle. Have you contacted Nitro to see if they'll warranty it?

I have the Revolution Shafts in my rear axle and that’s what I will buy for front.
I’m gonna try to contact Nitro today. Pretty sure they aren’t under warranty , I’ve had them 2.5 years.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the Revolution Shafts in my rear axle and that’s what I will buy for front.
I’m gonna try to contact Nitro today. Pretty sure they aren’t under warranty , I’ve had them 2.5 years.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.
Yeah I've got them in my real axle still. RCV's came in the used PR44 I just installed. If those start clicking or giving me issues I'll get another set of Revolutions.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Yeah I've got them in my real axle still. RCV's came in the used PR44 I just installed. If those start clicking or giving me issues I'll get another set of Revolutions.

RCV's are lifetime warranty and made in Illinois. You can send them back to RCV and they would probably replace.
Revolution seems to me to be a'supplier'. They dont manufacture. RCV manufacturers for lunatics like us who break shit.

Last edited:

JKbrick

RCV's are lifetime warranty and made in Illinois. You can send them back to RCV and they would probably replace.
Revolution seems to me to be a'supplier'. They dont manufacture. RCV manufacturers for lunatics like us who break shit.

I noticed while looking at axles they have rear axle shafts too now

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

They won’t warrant them for the “clicking”, but they will rebuild them for you for a fee

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:

MericaMade

Let me start by saying I cannot confirm but I was told Nitro was saying some pretty bizarre stuff on Facebook backing Antifa. Anyone else hear or see this?

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom