Let's hear your trail fixes

jkjurny

Wow. That really lists been a long trip. Good that it's mostly straight on McKinney, but I'm sure I was taking my ability to steer for granted.

David1tontj

4- also the fj40-

Going up the big sluice the year after my sector shaft broke-

Sputter, sputter. Dead. Newish fuel pump crapped out on me right in the middle of the trail.

-I used a 1gallon gas can and some air hose to gravity feed the carb enough to get to a good camping spot.
Hitched a ride with a Suzuki while my occupants set up camp for the night. I got a ride all the way into truckee where my parents were staying (I was just a kid). I spent the night in my parents camp and first thing in the morning, went for a new fuel pump.. Nobody had one for a 72 fj40, so I got an electric universal pump and rode back onto the trail on my dirtbike with the pump in a backpack. Used the wiring from my offroad lights to power the inline pump, and my best friend rode the dirt bike the rest of the trail.

Got me all the way off the trail.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Panda

Slightly off-topic, but it happened on the trail. Broke a nail opening my beer. Luckily it was at the campground and I was able to fully recover before heading back down the next morning. I simply trimmed it with a Revlon nail clippers and filed down the sharp edges to prevent me from nicking my nose while excavating.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

David1tontj

5-

Just this last rockin rubicon run-

Got a little too much skinny pedal, and one gear too high going up the ledges and got airborne. Came down and broke the rear driveshaft in several places, and a control arm bolt.

The bolt was easy- just had to bend the bracket back and threw a new bolt in it that one of the other guys had.

The driveshaft however- it broke 2 u joints (one on each end) broke the cv cage, and broke the ears right off the shaft on the female end. I really destroyed it.

I had brought all new spare u joints for the entire truck, and I brought a spare cv joint and cage. But the ears ripping off the female end..... That was a problem.

After wheeling it out in front wheel drive (with a couple tugs from Russ) I found some super nice jeepers who actually let me borrow that female end from their driveshaft. (After we finished the trail I returned to their house in placerville to reinstall it on their rig)

With the other spare parts I had, I was able to build myself a new shaft in the staging area parking lot.

-we were then 3.5 hours behind the pack and caught them before they hit rubicon springs. 😁

My donor jeep ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404880447.265033.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Panda

When panda was 2 weeks old I decided to cross the eel river... not knowing my little bushing was broken on the transfer case shifter and not knowing I wasn't in 4 wheel drive I only made it halfway.. So after watching my brand new jeep sit in the middle of the eel up to the doors for a half hour or so, some drunk red necks pushed me to the other side where I crawled under my jeep and shifted the transfer case into 4 wheel drive with a big screwdriver, so I could make it back across the river, true story! so it's good to carry an extra bushing for jk's or a large screwdriver

David1tontj

6- same trip while catching the others

Wasn't spotting anything cause we were in a hurry... Got in a bind, heard a pop... Saw the hub had exploded. I wasn't worried... I carry a spare. Threw some duct tape on it to keep water out, and ran down big sluice in 3 wheel drive and caught up to the group.

Waited till monday to fix it since we had all day Monday in rubicon springs.. While trying to pry the old hub off (should have been a 5 minute hub change) I realize that my front d60 outer axle shaft was also broken (that's what broke the hub). Also wasn't worried- I had a spare 60 shaft.

What I didn't know... My spare was from a dodge 60, and mine is a ford. The dodge shaft is 1/2" too long and the splines aren't cut far enough into the shaft.
Well.... I had my grinder, so.......... I cut the splines longer, and trimmed 1/2" of the end. I go it all back together and it Got me of the trail.

Also a long trip. But man it sure was fun.

A couple more driveshaft pics from my last post
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404881032.302067.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404881070.834458.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404881097.265292.jpg split the d60 shaft lengthwise, that's why I couldn't slide the broken hub off (had to cut it of with a cut hacksaw blade and a vise grip).
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404881184.452575.jpg the old shaft had pushed out and broke the him, so my spindle my socket wouldn't for until I cut the broken shaft shorter.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404881244.153862.jpg cutting longer splines. Who needs a machine shop??

David1tontj

I've had other little stuff not really worth mentioning.
Things like bent tie rods(just rotated it around, rammed a stump, an then re-aligned the front end an kept wheeling)
Other broken hubs, etc. mostly always just carry spares and improvise.

The one thing I do, is just never give up.

There is always some sort of option, and hopefully you have the tools and supplies to be able to jerry-rig it.

DMF

I would think the ground would be loose enough to forgive that amount of drag. But I would also return to 2wd if possible.

Thanks Ridg3runner. Didn't mean to taint your thread with the derp questions. I will refrain myself from asking another derp question, at least for awhile.

pvanweelden

Broken synthetic winch line- theres youtube videos out there to show you how to weave it back together like a Chinese finger trap. Here's my line after being fixed-
1404911121630.jpg
And I took a piece of tubing I had plus the end of a sharpie pen and made a needle to make it easier to thread back into itself.
1404911211636.jpg
Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DA RUNT

6- same trip while catching the others

Wasn't spotting anything cause we were in a hurry... Got in a bind, heard a pop... Saw the hub had exploded. I wasn't worried... I carry a spare. Threw some duct tape on it to keep water out, and ran down big sluice in 3 wheel drive and caught up to the group.

Waited till monday to fix it since we had all day Monday in rubicon springs.. While trying to pry the old hub off (should have been a 5 minute hub change) I realize that my front d60 outer axle shaft was also broken (that's what broke the hub). Also wasn't worried- I had a spare 60 shaft.

What I didn't know... My spare was from a dodge 60, and mine is a ford. The dodge shaft is 1/2" too long and the splines aren't cut far enough into the shaft.
Well.... I had my grinder, so.......... I cut the splines longer, and trimmed 1/2" of the end. I go it all back together and it Got me of the trail.

Also a long trip. But man it sure was fun.

A couple more driveshaft pics from my last post
View attachment 91220
View attachment 91221

View attachment 91222 split the d60 shaft lengthwise, that's why I couldn't slide the broken hub off (had to cut it of with a cut hacksaw blade and a vise grip).
View attachment 91223 the old shaft had pushed out and broke the him, so my spindle my socket wouldn't for until I cut the broken shaft shorter.
View attachment 91224 cutting longer splines. Who needs a machine shop??

Nice trail fixes :thumb:

David1tontj

Nice trail fixes :thumb:

I'd rather just not have broke... But being able to fix it on the trail and still get your rig out is cool too.

mrmet1983

Was up 13,000 ft in Colorado when one off brothers caliper bolts decided to back itself out. Needless to say the caliper hit the rotor and locked up the front wheel. Got underneath zip tied the caliper to the ball joint and off we went. Got to love zip ties !!

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

DA RUNT

I'd rather just not have broke... But being able to fix it on the trail and still get your rig out is cool too.

It's better to have wheeled, broke and fixed then to have never wheeled at all - In my wisest Confucius voice

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I will admit I doubted your cutting new splines idea. I didn't think it was the smartest option but kudos to you for thinking of it and it actually working.

David1tontj

I will admit I doubted your cutting new splines idea. I didn't think it was the smartest option but kudos to you for thinking of it and it actually working.

Thanks Adam.

You weren't the only one who doubted it. I was hearing it while was cutting them. I was just thinking that it just had to be "good enough" I know it's not as straight, tight, and precise as normal splines, but I was just looking for something good enough to get me back in 4 wheel drive. Not ideal, I will admit, but at least It got me out. That kind of desperation I think is what this thread is all about.

jkjurny

Thanks Adam.

You weren't the only one who doubted it. I was hearing it while was cutting them. I was just thinking that it just had to be "good enough" I know it's not as straight, tight, and precise as normal splines, but I was just looking for something good enough to get me back in 4 wheel drive. Not ideal, I will admit, but at least It got me out. That kind of desperation I think is what this thread is all about.

I totally missed this part of your fix. Cool that it worked.

David1tontj

I totally missed this part of your fix. Cool that it worked.

It was when I had the bag over the axle with only the axle shaft sticking through. (to keep the metal shavings out of important parts)

Top Bottom