Let's hear your trail fixes

pvanweelden

Paul, for a minute there I thought you were gonna say you zip tied the U-joint, ;-).

Nothing like zip ties and bale'in wire. Always plenty in the trail bag!

Lol Scott! :)

And Aspen- done the starter fluid trick many of times- very fun :) a little dangerous :) if ever you get the chance- buy an unused airbag from a junkyard and set it off by giving it 12 volts :) I had video of one going 75 ft in the air :)
A high volume on board air compressor will reseat a bead easily.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol Scott! :)

And Aspen- done the starter fluid trick many of times- very fun :) a little dangerous :)

Ya I hear ya. Sometimes that was the only way to get Tractor tires to seat as a kid. Airing up split rims while working in a tire shop was always fun too! Saw a guy loose an arm one day. Not fun.

HLKSMSH

I was out on the Trail one day with two new guys that didnt want to drive there first time up. about 1/4 mile into the trail I try and take the high side to avoid a rock and as I am telling them the rock is famous for ripping out valve stems I slide down bust my valve stem on my back left tire and a rock cuts a hole in my back right side wall less than 3 seconds both back tires flat not a good day. Best part was I didnt have a spare tire so looked really cool driving back down with 3 different type wheels.

For tools to always keep there are to many to list but I do keep a set of 28MM and down and 1 1/2 and down sockets and one thing I have used the most would be a 1/2" cordless impact.

Last edited:

Armydog

Subscribing since all my trips have been solo :doh:

Agreed, big wave to this thread...was gonna ask what everyone recommended for tools in their rigs; now I don't have to ask the dumb question.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Jiffy05

Fortunately for me I have not broke anything yet.

The one thing I have not seen listed is a pry bar. I always have 2 different sizes at least with me. I also carry along a tool set and a couple sets of wrenches.

DMF

Op, if I may add a simple question to your thread.

How far can we drive with a flat before it affects the transfer case?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Depends. Do you have beadlock or no Beadlocks? No Beadlocks you can drive until the tire comes off the wheel. Beadlocks you can drive a lot farther.

Common sense would normally say you shouldn't even be on the trail at all without a spare and tools to change it with. However, there is that one time that Murphy decides to go for a ride with you and brings his law with him. In which case, I'm not too sure if it would hurt your transfer case any more than a large obstacle would. However, if you must run a flat I'm thinking it would be better to move it to the rear axle so it won't effect your steering or dismount inward making it tough to steer at all.

DMF

Depends. Do you have beadlock or no Beadlocks? No Beadlocks you can drive until the tire comes off the wheel. Beadlocks you can drive a lot farther.

Common sense would normally say you shouldn't even be on the trail at all without a spare and tools to change it with. However, there is that one time that Murphy decides to go for a ride with you and brings his law with him. In which case, I'm not too sure if it would hurt your transfer case any more than a large obstacle would. However, if you must run a flat I'm thinking it would be better to move it to the rear axle so it won't effect your steering or dismount inward making it tough to steer at all.

What I meant to ask is, everyone is telling me on a 4x4 we need the same size tires all the way around or it can damage the transfer case. And if I were to suffer a flat on a part of a trail that was not safe to lift the Jeep up to replace the tire. How far can I drive down the trail where I can find a safe place to replace the tire without hurting the transfer case. So the 4 same size tires does not apply to these Jeeps?

David1tontj

A friend had just baught a new rig. No spare and he broke a bead. He was having a hard time getting it to seal so we wrapped a ratchet strap around it, had some starter fluid to spray around the bead,and a match. Popped it on and aired up! Always have some starter fluid with me and a match with a strap now.

I've done that more than a few times! I've ne'er used the strap though- just the starter fluid and a match.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

DA RUNT

Slightly off-topic, but it happened on the trail. Broke a nail opening my beer. Luckily it was at the campground and I was able to fully recover before heading back down the next morning. I simply trimmed it with a Revlon nail clippers and filed down the sharp edges to prevent me from nicking my nose while excavating.

Attachments

• broken nail.JPG
    broken nail.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 122
What I meant to ask is, everyone is telling me on a 4x4 we need the same size tires all the way around or it can damage the transfer case. And if I were to suffer a flat on a part of a trail that was not safe to lift the Jeep up to replace the tire. How far can I drive down the trail where I can find a safe place to replace the tire without hurting the transfer case. So the 4 same size tires does not apply to these Jeeps?

I would think the ground would be loose enough to forgive that amount of drag. But I would also return to 2wd if possible.

Slightly off-topic, but it happened on the trail. Broke a nail opening my beer. Luckily it was at the campground and I was able to fully recover before heading back down the next morning. I simply trimmed it with a Revlon nail clippers and filed down the sharp edges to prevent me from nicking my nose while excavating.

Good thing you didn't need to call Triple-A afterall, lmao

pvanweelden

My fix for that would be- switch to bottles, use one of the 5 bottle openers your jeep has, and don't pick your nose :thumbup: :D

David1tontj

Ok- there have been several times in several different rigs that I have broke on the trail, so I will split them into different posts.

1-

Broke an outer tie rod end at 70mph in my 06 Chevy pickup that I had lifted and thought it was a prerunner- I ratchet strapped the wheel straight and drove in reverse with one wheel steering a couple miles to the nearest telephone (at slash-x cafe near Barstow)
What I learned- never, NEVER hit the brakes while skipping through the deep whoops. I did so to avoid rear-ending a Toyota that was doing 15, but I would've been better off staying on the gas and bombing the bushes.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

2-

Broke rear spider gears in the d35. Had full floater rear with hubs so I was able to unlock hubs, remove rear driveshaft, and drove home in front wheel drive.

DA RUNT

My fix for that would be- switch to bottles, use one of the 5 bottle openers your jeep has, and don't pick your nose :thumbup: :D

Great advice, i do prefer bottles but we spent some time on the beach and you can only have cans. And hey, sometimes you just gotta pick it :cheesy:

David1tontj

3- my old fj40. Broke my sector shaft roller gear on the rubicon. Was almost out (running backwards) but still had a good 1/2 mile to go to get to my trailer. Used a section of chain around the pitman arm to keep the wheels from going one way, and wrapped the winch around the bumper to the pitman arm the other way. If I winched in, it would straighten the wheels, if I let it out, the wheels would go left. If I ended to turn right, I just let the wheels go left and went in reverse. Drove It all the way off the rubicon and onto the trailer using the winch to steer it.

These pics barely show the chain around the frame and you can still see the winch controls hanging after a lot of use. That was a long trip! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404878820.838616.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404878838.789534.jpg

Top Bottom