Life’s Goodness

onlyone

I’m not sure if anything is going to make sense and I’m not really good at this. Not really sure why I’m starting this thread. Maybe I need to vent to a bunch of people that I know and at the same time, don’t, or maybe just because I’m a bit tired of venting to a mirror.

I can’t really remember what life’s goodness felt like. Before cancer. I see my wife struggle in a hospital bed wanting to give up, yet selfishly, I tell her to please stop that and fight. I see the pain in her eyes and hear it in her short breaths, when she gets what little sleep she can, as I watch her to make sure she’s still breathing. That visceral pain that your body feels when one of your organs is badly damaged.

I‘m not sure I’m even talking about the goodness that we attribute to a spouses smile, a happy story they tell, or even a Jeep trail or buying a new Jeep part (For all of us Jeep idiots) I think that might be in a sense, goodness. Maybe happiness. For now, let’s just start there. I think I’m talking about before cancer. Those days we take for granted, but not intentionally. Waking up too early before the alarm goes off and complaining about it internally. Waking up and talking to your furry fellas like they are people. Seeing the morning sun. Things we forget on our way to work. Even going to work without that knowing. Those small times of goodness.

I understand those times but I forgot what they felt like. I mean, I try to feel them, and I don’t mean there isn’t times that we smile together and maybe laugh. All hope isn’t lost. She is a fighter. I think im trying to say that there was a time not long ago that there was Days, Weeks, Months and Years of life’s goodness. Now, maybe is it seconds and minutes? Cancer seems to imprint on your soul. It’s always now a part of you. You can’t erase it. Once it’s there it doesnt let go. I’m sure just like all horrible diseases.

We haven’t given up. It may sound like it from this post but we haven’t. I’m just trying to remember how it was to feel good. Maybe I do in a different sense. Maybe the goodness is the same, but measured in those little seconds, minutes. I’m sad, mad, and sick of that feeling of sorrow and selfish pain every day.

Maybe that sorrow is goodness because if I didn’t feel it, that means I couldn’t have felt love. I still can’t remember though.

Sorry for the long post. I’ve never shared anything like this before. I like to joke and cover up my pain but maybe I shouldn’t anymore. Through all of this that I feel, I can’t even begin to know how that sweet, wonderful wife of mine feels. I fucking hate cancer. Yeah I know, a bumper sticker but we sure know the feeling.

I know we aren’t alone but as I walked outside tonight, I saw these lonely halls in this huge hospital and couldn’t help but take some pictures of them but also a beautiful sunset. I found a picture of us from 20 years ago. I remember the goodness here. Funny how we explored all this land and rarely took pictures of each other together. Before selfies. Maybe that’s why I remember that.

28 years together. I know God is there like a father listening and comforting us, but I am just a bit lost and hopefully one day I might understand this suffering she is stuck with.
7918B42E-4085-4B8B-B139-FA0B24AD3046.jpeg

E249C4AB-57A6-4F56-8F2F-31012425C382.jpeg 8067AAA4-6B35-4330-9FED-6F22DF1A0BB4.jpeg 04C8BE22-28C6-4571-9C06-67647A1E61C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I’m sorry you and your wife are going through this. Sharing and speaking it out is good, never good to hold it in. Praying for you and wife.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Sorry to hear about your wife, that really, really sucks. She is very lucky to have a man like you. Hang tough brother and keep us up to date on how she and you are doing. Prayers out.

jeeeep

Hooked
I feel your pain, cancer brings goodness to a standstill, yet life pushes you into each day.

We may not know each other but keep sharing, let it out, we're here for you.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’m not sure if anything is going to make sense and I’m not really good at this. Not really sure why I’m starting this thread. Maybe I need to vent to a bunch of people that I know and at the same time, don’t, or maybe just because I’m a bit tired of venting to a mirror.

I can’t really remember what life’s goodness felt like. Before cancer. I see my wife struggle in a hospital bed wanting to give up, yet selfishly, I tell her to please stop that and fight. I see the pain in her eyes and hear it in her short breaths, when she gets what little sleep she can, as I watch her to make sure she’s still breathing. That visceral pain that your body feels when one of your organs is badly damaged.

I‘m not sure I’m even talking about the goodness that we attribute to a spouses smile, a happy story they tell, or even a Jeep trail or buying a new Jeep part (For all of us Jeep idiots) I think that might be in a sense, goodness. Maybe happiness. For now, let’s just start there. I think I’m talking about before cancer. Those days we take for granted, but not intentionally. Waking up too early before the alarm goes off and complaining about it internally. Waking up and talking to your furry fellas like they are people. Seeing the morning sun. Things we forget on our way to work. Even going to work without that knowing. Those small times of goodness.

I understand those times but I forgot what they felt like. I mean, I try to feel them, and I don’t mean there isn’t times that we smile together and maybe laugh. All hope isn’t lost. She is a fighter. I think im trying to say that there was a time not long ago that there was Days, Weeks, Months and Years of life’s goodness. Now, maybe is it seconds and minutes? Cancer seems to imprint on your soul. It’s always now a part of you. You can’t erase it. Once it’s there it doesnt let go. I’m sure just like all horrible diseases.

We haven’t given up. It may sound like it from this post but we haven’t. I’m just trying to remember how it was to feel good. Maybe I do in a different sense. Maybe the goodness is the same, but measured in those little seconds, minutes. I’m sad, mad, and sick of that feeling of sorrow and selfish pain every day.

Maybe that sorrow is goodness because if I didn’t feel it, that means I couldn’t have felt love. I still can’t remember though.

Sorry for the long post. I’ve never shared anything like this before. I like to joke and cover up my pain but maybe I shouldn’t anymore. Through all of this that I feel, I can’t even begin to know how that sweet, wonderful wife of mine feels. I fucking hate cancer. Yeah I know, a bumper sticker but we sure know the feeling.

I know we aren’t alone but as I walked outside tonight, I saw these lonely halls in this huge hospital and couldn’t help but take some pictures of them but also a beautiful sunset. I found a picture of us from 20 years ago. I remember the goodness here. Funny how we explored all this land and rarely took pictures of each other together. Before selfies. Maybe that’s why I remember that.

28 years together. I know God is there like a father listening and comforting us, but I am just a bit lost and hopefully one day I might understand this suffering she is stuck with.
View attachment 394211

View attachment 394207 View attachment 394208 View attachment 394209
Also I should note, your picture from 20 years ago is far better quality than a picture WJCO posts today.

Trail Bud

Hooked
So sorry to hear that your going through times that suck. Cancer is hard, there’s nothing you can do but to watch and support.
post away here, it helps everyone.
Take care.

Hey, I’m really sorry that you and your wife are having to deal with this! Life’s goodness is everything that you remember and that makes you smile. It’s what helps us continue on. Share those memories you have with her, make her smile, talk about making more, give her strength. You two are in my prayers now.

TigerInFl

Wow ... I've been there with parents and friends, but not with a spouse and I hope to avoid that if at all possible. I am so sorry you are having to deal with it and shoulder the responsibility. I am sure it feels like you are in this all alone, but you aren't. Vent away my friend. Let us all help you though this difficult journey.

Live everyday like it's your last, for none of us is promised tomorrow. Talk to your wife and remind her you are there for her. Sure, she already knows that, but saying it and letting her feel that is so important. Take time to remember the journey you two have shared all these years.

If you ever need to talk, the phone is always on and I am a pretty good listener.

kevman65

Hooked
It is funny where your mind goes when your spouse is lying in a hospital bed fighting, fighting the pain, the exhaustion, the mind numbing endless hours wondering if this is it.

You look back on things, things that made you smile before but now the tears flow because you just don't know if you'll get to experience any of it again.

Fur babies are a good thing, they'll keep you focused on the every day routines, which will help keep you out of your own head.

Just keep focusing on the positive future, but prepare yourself for the worst. It won't make life easier, but don't let yourself get caught without plans if worse case happens.

Biggest thing, and I didn't do it and wish I had, get help for yourself. Be it a professional, or a very trusted friend. Someone you can let it all out to and not be embarrassed by it. If you keep it bottled up, it will eat you up even if the best possible outcome happens.

Stay strong, tell her you love her every day, hug the fur babies and tell them too. They know something is wrong and have some of the broadest shoulders you'll ever find.

Good luck and better days....

onlyone

Pain shared is pain divided.
Talk if you feel like talking my man, even if you think it doesn’t makes any sense. Sorry you are going through this.
You’re right my friend. I appreciate it
I’m sorry that you have been going through this. We will be praying for you and your wife. Share as you need to share.
Thank you, it makes a difference knowing people are praying for us.
I’m sorry you and your wife are going through this. Sharing and speaking it out is good, never good to hold it in. Praying for you and wife.
It something I’ve never really tried, but I have to say I did feel a little better after reading my own post. Thank you.
Man that’s rough. Can’t imagine what your wife or you are going through.
Thanks Overlander. I’m sure there are many going through the same. Like most, it’s something that you never think will happen. I pray daily that no one has to deal with it.
Sorry to hear you're having to go through this, man.
Thanks man. It’s great to know so many of you care enough to listen.

onlyone

Sorry to hear about your wife, that really, really sucks. She is very lucky to have a man like you. Hang tough brother and keep us up to date on how she and you are doing. Prayers out.
I am humbled by this. I wish I was stronger than I am. I feel like I am failing at this. I do my best but I’m not sure it’s enough.
Post and share away. And know there are folks out here that DO care about each other.
I appreciate that. I can see it In many people here.

I feel your pain, cancer brings goodness to a standstill, yet life pushes you into each day.

We may not know each other but keep sharing, let it out, we're here for you.
A standstill is correct. Its like hitting a brick wall and not being able to get out.

Top Bottom