Lift questions

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Now hold on Freebyrd before you go out and get a divorce to afford the Double Throw Down system. Let's be realistic. The DTD is not for everyone. I saved up for about 5 years and researched a ton prior to going to this system. I have no regrets, but then I spent about $45k getting my system right. My wife loves the Jeep and we make it a family thing.

I would recommend that you involve her more in the idea of going off roading and explain how it all benefits her. We have two small children and they can't hike very far, so we use the Jeep to get out there. We absolutely love it... as a family. Once you explain there is outdoor adventures, then suddenly this is not your toy but both of yours toy. Remember, you always have to get final approval from the war department for any upgrades to the Jeep. At least, that is how my marriage works. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

It cost you $45,000 getting the DTD setup?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It cost you $45,000 getting the DTD setup?

Maybe if he went dynatrac 60/80 and a hemi swap guessing that's including his 35k jk

No, the $45k was to Off Road Evolution for everything listed on my signature line (suspension, axles, lockers, wheels, tires, shafts, ram assist, etc., etc.) for ProRock 44 front and ProRock XD60 rear (full float). The cost of the Jeep was separate. Almost any DTD built by places like ORE are usually around $100k or more.

So when you see an ORE built Jeep for sale at $70k, that is a steal.

Freebyrd1972

No, the $45k was to Off Road Evolution for everything listed on my signature line (suspension, axles, lockers, wheels, tires, shafts, ram assist, etc., etc.) for ProRock 44 front and ProRock XD60 rear (full float). The cost of the Jeep was separate. Almost any DTD built by places like ORE are usually around $100k or more.

So when you see an ORE built Jeep for sale at $70k, that is a steal.

nope I have a limit of 5k myself and would like that to include rims and tires but looking like it won't.

J

JKDream

nope I have a limit of 5k myself and would like that to include rims and tires but looking like it won't.

If driving fast is your thing, I'd be doing axles before anything.
That fancy lift kit isn't going to do anything for you when your front axle is bent to shit.

Zevulin

Now hold on Freebyrd before you go out and get a divorce to afford the Double Throw Down system. Let's be realistic. The DTD is not for everyone. I saved up for about 5 years and researched a ton prior to going to this system. I have no regrets, but then I spent about $45k getting my system right. My wife loves the Jeep and we make it a family thing.

I would recommend that you involve her more in the idea of going off roading and explain how it all benefits her. We have two small children and they can't hike very far, so we use the Jeep to get out there. We absolutely love it... as a family. Once you explain there is outdoor adventures, then suddenly this is not your toy but both of yours toy. Remember, you always have to get final approval from the war department for any upgrades to the Jeep. At least, that is how my marriage works. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Are you saying after the DTD was installed you spent another 45K making it right?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'll throw in my :two cents:. Don't get so caught up in what everyone else has and what they are running. Hell, the vast majority (Eddie and Cindy excluded) of people I've seen with DTD suspensions and $40k+ builds very rarely do anything that would actually require that kind of build. Stated another way, you could spend $4k-$5k and go 99% of the places that the high dollar rigs go. Sure, maybe you won't get there quite as fast but if speed through the whoops is your thing, why did you buy a Jeep?

Your money, your vehicle, spend it / build it how you want. Just don't get suckered into thinking something is necessary for you to get out there and explore the places you see people post up about on this forum.

Ddays

Hooked
I'll throw in my :two cents:. Don't get so caught up in what everyone else has and what they are running. Hell, the vast majority (Eddie and Cindy excluded) of people I've seen with DTD suspensions and $40k+ builds very rarely do anything that would actually require that kind of build. Stated another way, you could spend $4k-$5k and go 99% of the places that the high dollar rigs go. Sure, maybe you won't get there quite as fast but if speed through the whoops is your thing, why did you buy a Jeep?

Your money, your vehicle, spend it / build it how you want. Just don't get suckered into thinking something is necessary for you to get out there and explore the places you see people post up about on this forum.

100% This ^^
And going fast and Jeeps usually don't go together. Making a Jeep go fast cost serious $$. Better off keeping the Jeep as is or throwing a small lift on & get a go fast vehicle like a sand rail or something along those lines. It'd probably cost less in the end. :idontknow:

Zevulin

I agree with what you’re saying about high dollar builds that are never pushed to their full potential, and that’s cool if that’s your thing. I equate it to people that buy these high dollar supercars and never drive them like they were intended, it’s the cool factor of owning a high dollar vehicle that people enjoy! Of course folks like us see these vehicles and wanna drive em like we stole em!

scrota76

I’m going to be doing a lift, Hopefully soon.

I been looking, and it seems like coilover is the best way to go but my wife is a cheap bastard, and I’m wondering if I can do it with non coilovers.

I go to the sand dunes and want to be able to take the whoops at a fast speed. With stock Rubicon shocks it really hit’s hard.

Also when going up test hill at Silver lake sand dunes, The issues I have is, you start off up a small hill then you go down and up a steep hill at the bottom of the two hills it ends up getting a hole/bump there and when the jeep hit’s it, as I did this year really hard it broke a shock and sent my jeep flying lol, that was fun, but not lol.

I do Rock and mudding, but not as much.

I would like the options of doing 35/37’s

I was thinking about the Mopar 4" lift but don't want to waist money if it won't take the whoops.

Is there a cheap coilover out there for around 2k (wishful thinking :) )
I run the AEV 3.5 dual sport lift. I couldnt be happier, for what i do. Mainly i go to Red Rock/Dove Springs by Ridgecrest. To get an idea you can youtube Last Chance Canyon, if memory serves Wayalife did a video out there. I also run Mojave Road. I wouldn't do whoops at 30MPH, but i would go anywhere, just slower than guys with an Evo.

Also, i had the passenger rear shock start leaking about 2 years after install, and AEV replaced it without question.

I believe the kit costs about $1800 now. You can run 35's no problem, and with a good fender trim you can run 37's. The kit also comes with the procal module to reprogram everything, works for regearing as well.

I love the overall ride, and i know the minor limitations. I am and always have been super happy with my choice. It's not popular by any means, and i get that, but this is just my opinion (buttholes, everyone has them....LOL).

Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Are you saying after the DTD was installed you spent another 45K making it right?

See below.

No, he is saying he spent $45k to get that signature line, and a Jeep.

Beat me to it, punk.

And going fast and Jeeps usually don't go together. Making a Jeep go fast cost serious $$. Better off keeping the Jeep as is or throwing a small lift on & get a go fast vehicle like a sand rail or something along those lines. It'd probably cost less in the end. :idontknow:

I think trying to get the wife into a sand rail is a big negative. In my sales pitch to her, I explained all the benefits to HER and the KIDS, not just to me. Once I have this rig paid off in a couple of years, I will have a 20-25 year investment. Overtime, the initial cost is reduced.

But I agree, to each their own. I will not say that I am stressing the suspension like a racer would, but I do sometimes get out and barrel down the dirt roads. For example, during my hunting season, a typical dirt road drive would be 30 miles or more. A lot of shocks would not be able to handle that type of heat and punishment. Imagine humming along at 65+ MPH. And talk about smooth, the DTD is super smooth and totally adjustable. It's pretty much for me, the end all of suspensions systems. I also noted that on my last run, MTG and myself were the only two rigs that cleared this one gnarly obstacle while the other two rigs needed to break out the winches. It was a testament to DTD itself.

I also would say, before you bash the DTD, ride in one. I have offered to Sharkey several times, but he refuses to drive my Jeep. Go figure.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

Well said[emoji106]

Zevulin

See below.

Beat me to it, punk.

I think trying to get the wife into a sand rail is a big negative. In my sales pitch to her, I explained all the benefits to HER and the KIDS, not just to me. Once I have this rig paid off in a couple of years, I will have a 20-25 year investment. Overtime, the initial cost is reduced.

But I agree, to each their own. I will not say that I am stressing the suspension like a racer would, but I do sometimes get out and barrel down the dirt roads. For example, during my hunting season, a typical dirt road drive would be 30 miles or more. A lot of shocks would not be able to handle that type of heat and punishment. Imagine humming along at 65+ MPH. And talk about smooth, the DTD is super smooth and totally adjustable. It's pretty much for me, the end all of suspensions systems. I also noted that on my last run, MTG and myself were the only two rigs that cleared this one gnarly obstacle while the other two rigs needed to break out the winches. It was a testament to DTD itself.

I also would say, before you bash the DTD, ride in one. I have offered to Sharkey several times, but he refuses to drive my Jeep. Go figure.

I was ready to go DTD route until I saw this!!
Image1512169502.240245.jpg

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
If the goal is to whoop it up in the dunes, a built JK is a very expensive and imperfect way to go about it. Rather than dropping $45k to build one up that you already have, buy a sandrail or a couple of Razors, with a trailer to haul them, and put the leftover $20k toward your retirement savings, college for your kids, etc.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...I also noted that on my last run, MTG and myself were the only two rigs that cleared this one gnarly obstacle while the other two rigs needed to break out the winches. It was a testament to DTD itself.

Lol. I’ve ridden in them; trying to think if I have actually driven one for any distance but I don’t recall having done so. That said, I’m well aware of what they CAN do if put to their intended use. My point is simply that very few people put them to that use. Does that mean someone that chooses to spend money on a DTD is silly? Absolutely not. All I’m saying is that spending that kind of money is far from a prerequisite to making it out in the hills and back safely (or with some degree of enjoyment).

It’s hard for me to discount the validity of your Bronco Billy example above. Since I’ve seen both you and MTG drive off road, I’d agree that the fact you both made it over a tough obstacle was more likely due to the DTD than the skill of the drivers. ;)

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It’s hard for me to discount the validity of your Bronco Billy example above. Since I’ve seen both you and MTG drive off road, I’d agree that the fact you both made it over a tough obstacle was more likely due to the DTD than the skill of the drivers. ;)

DOH!!! We've been ratted. Shit.

Ddays

Hooked
See below.

Beat me to it, punk.

You didn't get the impression that I was bashing the DTD did you? My point was that its pretty expensive to make a Jeep go fast in the desert (bout $45k ;) )

Top Bottom