Lifts

WJCO

Meme King
You can google it, but basically draw a chalk line across your tread on each tire. Then drive it about 50 feet forward and 50 feet in reverse. You should be able to see a wear pattern in the chalk. It should be fairly even. It's not a perfect test, but gives you a good idea of how your tire is wearing.

As far as the 60 psi figure, chances are the shop looked at the max tire spec on the outside of the tire and just went with that. A more accurate setting would have been to use the door decal. But unanimously, I would go with the recommended advice of everyone here as we are all stating about the same.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Wow, 60 psi is insane! I'm at 27 psi with 35s, I ran 30 psi when I had 33s.
To the OP, if your still unsatisfied with the ride after the tire pressure change (which should make a big difference), I can tell you that Teraflex springs are not the answer your looking for. They are some of the stiffest springs out there and are far more harsh than stock springs.

Last edited:

RjSkippy

60 psi is crazy! I run my 33" duratracks between 32-34. That range seems to work really well for me. Also what is the load range on your tires (i forgot what the Terra Grapplers run when I looked at them). If they are "E" load range they are going to be a stiffer ride also.

JK LYF

Now that you have received advice regarding the tire pressure, are you still wanting a 3 inch lift on top of the 2 1/2 inch body lift for your 33s?

Ddays

Hooked
Good grief, how is it that some of these shops do stuff so stupid? Really, if Junior can't figure out how to properly inflate a tire when every vehicle has a recommended inflation chart on the driver's side door, how does one expect them to do more complicated work. Like brakes? This kinda stuff, while amusing, scares the hell out of me.

edit: by 'Junior' I mean the shop flunkie, not the OP...

NAUJK

Now that you have received advice regarding the tire pressure, are you still wanting a 3 inch lift on top of the 2 1/2 inch body lift for your 33s?

This is a very good question cus that would look funny in my opinion... Honestly though i think a 2.5" body lift is to much to begin with.

If you want a good suspension setup that will give good road and off road handling and nice smooth ride for a jeep. Get the EVO Plush Rides / Enforcer kit. I love mine I dont feel washboard roads at all its amazing.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So I've been running my 35 trail grapplers at 37psi on the road should I lower them to 29?

It is a good idea so that your tires wear evenly. As other have mentioned, find a large and flat parking lot and do the chalk test.

Just for refference sake, I found that 28psi is the best for my 35s.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I've been running my 35 trail grapplers at 37psi on the road should I lower them to 29?

Yes but to get an exact number for your jeep your going to have to do the chalk test as mentioned above. Every vehicles weight is different so each one will vary. 29 is a good starting point tho.

Miles4k

I know I lowered them down to 35 just to see what it's like and its so much smoother. Thanks for all the help

Josh27

When I worked in a tire shop for a couple months, if load range E tires were put on ANY vehicle they were required to be at 60psi. At this time I had 35" toyo mt's that I run at 32 psi and I couldn't believe that they were required to be that high. Personally, I still go by what the manufacturer recommends on the door jam. When I first got my toyos, the shop that mounted them aired them up to 60 and it just didn't look or feel right to me. And when I drove in the rain my track on the road was significantly narrower than what my tire was. So I brought them down to 35 and it felt so much better.

As for suspension, I have the teraflex 2.5 coil lift with their shocks. It is not the best ride ever and I am looking at changing out my shocks soon to make it a bit smoother. Yes, the teraflex shocks are junk so make sure you do not use them. As far as the coils go, I'm not sure how they affect ride quality because I haven't had anything else besides stock springs.

Scrambler

That is the maximum allowable working pressure. It does not mean to run them at MAWP.

Correct. The comment I replied to was in regard to 60 PSI being out of the MAWP of the tire, when in fact the MAWP is rated at 65 PSI. I was not endorsing running this tire at that much PSI, but saying that 60 PSI is above the MAWP is not an accurate statement....according to Nitto. Go back a few pages and read my reply from earlier today. You'll see that we are on the same page.

jep77

Quick question guys; is anyone running 35s on stock rims? And if you are what psi are you running them at? I have a set of 35x12.5 tires on stock wheels and from what I understand the smaller the wheel width the lower the psi you want to have? Is this correct? After reading this thread I'm starting to think I still have too much air in mine. Thanks for any input!

Petzl88

Correct. The comment I replied to was in regard to 60 PSI being out of the MAWP of the tire, when in fact the MAWP is rated at 65 PSI. I was not endorsing running this tire at that much PSI, but saying that 60 PSI is above the MAWP is not an accurate statement....according to Nitto. Go back a few pages and read my reply from earlier today. You'll see that we are on the same page.

I believe you. I didn't read the other 30 some posts. When I ordered my tires and wheels from Discount Tire Direct they were at 60 pounds! I've heard other folks say "well, it says 70 psi on my side wall so that's what I run them at". It just irritates me.

Top Bottom