Light bars - Really needed???

Coloradan

After recently leading a night run on Fins n Things, I can definitely say I was glad to have my 10" Rigid lightbar on the front of my Jeep. Even with my Trucklites I was glad to have the additional light. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461040120.961533.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461040138.826629.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461040153.277882.jpg

Desert Crawler

I run a 20" in the front bumper which puts out a ton of light in my opinion and helps running alone at night in the desert and hills around where I live. I started to contemplate putting rigid cubes on the A pillars and the girlfriend's response was "how much F'n light do you actually need?". I had to agree with her this time.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys for the advice. Coloradan I appreciate the pictures. I don't normally wheel alone, unless I'm in Vermont with family. The extra light will be needs in those few instances. I'm going to go with quality spots in the fog locations and see if I need anymore than that after the install.

I plan on doing a combination of bars and spots for use in the pastures and for getting to the hunting camp by myself. I had similar setups on pickups in the past and they worked great for those uses. On a trail with others they will be pretty much useless.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I will most likely add a 50 inch on top of the windshield at some point. It will be the very last light I add though. And really, it would only get used when I was alone most of the time. Or the leader of the group.

I have the Warn wireless on the pilars and some kc fogs down below. I do alot of night driving, not offroading. It really helps light up the whole highway at night. I live in the corner of nowhere and deer, javelina, and illegals often cross these roads at night. I hit a deer a few years back and totaled my new pathfinder. These lights really help ease the night time, driving anxiety. Damm deer traumatized me!

Attachments

• 1461078520341.jpg
    1461078520341.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 245

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Besides my Trucklites, I have a 10" Rigid combo on the front bumper that I only use when it's really dark and I need to watch for deer. I wasn't impressed with the stock fogs so I got some Rigid SAE fog lights so I can run them in traffic. They have a sharp cutoff to keep from blinding other drivers and really compliment the Trucklites well.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I have the Warn wireless on the pilars and some kc fogs down below. I do alot of night driving, not offroading. It really helps light up the whole highway at night. I live in the corner of nowhere and deer, javelina, and illegals often cross these roads at night. I hit a deer a few years back and totaled my new pathfinder. These lights really help ease the night time, driving anxiety. Damm deer traumatized me!

I guess along those lines, if one were to do a lot of desert driving at night, maybe these would be helpful also? I like the looks of a light bar and was already shopping for one until I saw this thread and, again, as usual, what I thought I knew was nothing compared to the people with experience. I might still look into the light bar, but maybe not make it a priority. I really like the idea but if everyone drives in groups and does not want to blind someone in front of them, the light bar makes no sense.

Hmmm.....:thinking:

I do have a little cheap light bar off amazon on my front bumper, it's 20inch but it's not horribly bright. So I've used it a lot to set up camp or to help a friend if they need extra light while working on their jeeps. So for the 50 bucks I paid i think it has definitely been worth it. Also when going down dirt roads it's nice to have a little bit more light! [emoji106]

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I do have a little cheap light bar off amazon on my front bumper, it's 20inch but it's not horribly bright. So I've used it a lot to set up camp or to help a friend if they need extra light while working on their jeeps. So for the 50 bucks I paid i think it has definitely been worth it. Also when going down dirt roads it's nice to have a little bit more light! [emoji106]

Hmmmm....:thinking:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
My two cents, I like my 20" on my bumper. I put a 50" on my windshield and hate it. It just whistling noise I can't stand

fercho

I was thinking the same, but after my trip to baja having a light bar was really a necessary, but when I went back to the highway my light bar was making me crazy because of the noise

jeff_in_rc

Well I guess I am a little different, I have an 8" light bar above the fairlead, a pair of cubes on each corner of the front bumper pointed outward and another pair of cubes on the windshield pillar. I use them all the time either alone when we are out with the pups, or in a group situation. Now I have a different light setup than most, I am running Sierra Dual White/Amber LED lights and I run them in white when running down dirt roads so I can see a little farther but when just crawling around I run the amber and I can run them behind people WITHOUT blinding them.

Here is an older pic of the front, the bar is correct but the cubes have been replaced is the only difference, the lights are in the correct locations. I have found that with the amber lighting there is less shadowing and less glare which makes it really easy on your eyes.

To the OP, if you want extra light while out playing in the dark you will have a lot to choose from so look at what is out there, do a little research and get what you think will work for your situation.

Attachments

• daytime front view.jpg
    daytime front view.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 187

utiadam

LOSER
I have honestly never used my 50" on a trail. Now i don't run headlights on the trail either because those are blinding to the driver in front of me. My headlights are aimed pretty low and i never get flashed on the street but when constantly going up and down it's getting the mirrors of the person in front of me. I have 8 kc cyclones as rock lights and 6 rigid Duallys that i run on night trails. I think the setup is perfect.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461108259.499981.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461108277.607990.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461108322.730954.jpg

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I think they are unnecessary. One of the worst things I hate about night time trail runs is some guy behind me, or even worse, approaching me with a light bar on.

Top Bottom